DVDVR Message Board

2021 Post-Mania WWE Purge

If things start to open up this year, and indie promotions can start running regularly, I think there's a lot of money out there for some of these people (Joe, in particular).  As the WM weekend shows showed us, there are not a lot of big-drawing names out there on the indies right now.  Not that there isn't a lot of talent, it's just that they haven't made their name quite yet.  I feel like someone like Joe could make a killing for a while.

• Like 3

Beyond the Spears connection, Peyton Royce has had a chip on her shoulder about feeing like she could be a bigger star for a while now, so I could see her going to AEW with the intent to prove she can really go and be a TV star in the US.

I’m not really sure how Billie fits in anywhere besides WWE, honestly.  She was *tailor-made* to succeed in that environment, but she isn’t good enough in the ring to be a star anywhere else.  I guess Impact does a lot of silly stuff, so maybe that would be a good fit?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Yup - Billie is like tailor made for Impact. She could goof off with Su Yung and Rosemary and do wacky shit or like fuck Johnny Swinger or something. 

Some of the other names, I imagine, will soon be on a Dark or Elevation near you. Tucky has potential. For some reason, I think he'd be good in ROH. He seems like a new age ROH guy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

I’m not really sure how Billie fits in anywhere besides WWE, honestly.  She was *tailor-made* to succeed in that environment, but she isn’t good enough in the ring to be a star anywhere else.  I guess Impact does a lot of silly stuff, so maybe that would be a good fit?

Kay was actually a solid wrestler in the indies and couldn't do character work for shit. She somehow completely switched around in WWE.

• Like 1

I think Kallisto and Wesley Blake are the people I'm most interested to see going forward.  Both of those guys are really good, and will be welcomed almost anywhere.  I'd like to see Blake get a NJPW run, where he'll be able refine his in-ring work.  I can see him being a pretty big star on the Indy scene if he can string together a couple good years there.  Kallisto is kind of tailor made for AEW.  He's kind of in the same indy generation as their top stars, and he could jump right in and not miss a beat.

YOUR NON-BINDING SUPER APE PREDICTIONS FOR WHERE THE RELEASED WWE TALENT GOES;

Iiconics: Peyton probably goes to AEW with her husband. Billie either follows suit or goes back to Australia and calls it a career. She was all but retired when WWE came calling, so it’s not unlikely she just goes back to that.

Bo Dallas: was already nine toes out the door with the realtor license and not being on TV in two years, so I’m sure he’s done.

Mickie, Chelsea: Probably goes to join their respective guys in NWA/Impact.

Kalisto: The world is his oyster. Samuray del Sol comeback?

Tucker: Poor bastard is FUCKED.

Samoa Joe: Coasts on some quick paydays with NEW or Memphis, and either goes into AEW or retires.

Wesley Blake: arrested after he sneaks into the Performance Center and murders Ryker for fucking up his gig.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Kay was actually a solid wrestler in the indies and couldn't do character work for shit. She somehow completely switched around in WWE.

Going by UUDD and her out-of-character bits on Youtube, she's old-school geeky enough to be a bridge to the G4/Syfy-type networks. Really hoping she stays visible somehow.

• Like 1

Yeah, Kalisto was great pre-WWE, but I kind of feel like the world has passed him by. Unless he's learned some new tricks, the actual luchadors operating in the U.S. right now totally outclass him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Kalisto winning the US title twice FIVE YEARS ago and then basically disappearing into the ether is just absurd. 

I mean he wasn't exactly super over when he won the belt. I never saw the guy pre-WWE, but I have never felt he could have been a bigger deal than he was in WWE

3 minutes ago, Dog said:

Yeah, Kalisto was great pre-WWE, but I kind of feel like the world has passed him by. Unless he's learned some new tricks, the actual luchadors operating in the U.S. right now totally outclass him.

I don't want to even think about all the promising indy talent over just the past 10-ish years that have been on a hamster wheel to nowhere in WWE.  I mean, shit, good on them for getting a steady paycheck, and it was neat that Owens and Zayn got to work Mania together, but fuck.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Kalisto was low-key one of Baron Corbin's best opponents. What happened to them constantly looking for that next big Hispanic star? Would committing to him have interfered with one of Del Rio's million pushes. 

They've never been looking for the next Hispanic star, they've been looking for the next Eddy Guerrero or Rey Mysterio, which is an impossible standard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1