DVDVR Message Board

Complete Territory Episodes

DEAN

More California Championship Wrestling! The Samoans! The Medics! I really couldn't get past the ring intros of the first match. ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO TRY?!?

James

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DEAN said:

This is hilariously awful but the Bounty Hunter would be akin to Vader invading that West Virginia show.  The West Virginia show is like something from outer space.  (I dig the horrible turn this thread is taking.)

I started the West Virginia TV show last night. I am only halfway through so far, but "Diamond Jim" may be an all-time sleaziest looking wrestler ever candidate. When the camera cut to a close-up of him from the handheld cam (which I would love to know how the fuck a West Virginia outlaw fed had ringside and apron cameras in frigging 1975) I impulsively shouted "UGH!"

Dude looks like Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin and post-homelessness Rickety Cricket from Always Sunny had a kid. Jimmy Del Ray would find him unsettling and hard to look at.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OmiGOD!  This is awesome.  A 29 year old rookie, Jim Dillon, tags with Arnold Skaaland up against the ULTIMATE 1969 tagteam, the California Hell's Angels, who are sooo awesome cheating and being Californian metrosexual.  A young, evil Thunderbolt Patterson.  A teenage Mark Lewin puts the sleeper on and has to reawaken a youngish (49ish? 54ish?) Ox Baker, who looked more like a moon-lighting accountant than a wanderer of the wasteland in 1969.  Speaking of guys who always looked old, Killer Karl Kox looked as old in 1969 as he did the last I saw him, in 1978.  This is great great studio wrestling, with an audience of kids and rubes, yelling at the heels, and Kox engages the toothless rabble.  Kox talks and he appears to have been portrayed by Robert Duval.  Who was the weasel?  JJ Dillon wrestles twice!  Against an anonymous evil Russian!  So great.

• Like 7

On 4/30/2021 at 3:10 PM, Cobra Commander said:

also... guess who won the US title the weekend that this JCP episode aired

Couldn't help noticing that about a month and a half after jamming the Coliseum to the rafters and stopping traffic in Greensboro, Steamboat/Youngblood v. Slaughter/Kernodle drew under 5,000 to the same building. Sic transit gloria.

This is Bruiser's Indianapolis promotion from 1974.  Bobby Heenan is so awesome in the ring.  He bleeds so much and bumps so much.  You need Heenan in a match against Crusher and Bruiser because they aren't going to do anything.  Heenan tags with the Blackjacks- and Heenan's nemesis, Little Bruiser, is the third to Bruiser and Crusher.  Heenan bleeds a fucking bucket and gets pinned by a little person.  The 70's.  Then Ox Baker shows up covered in his own blood to give a great insight into how he does not give a fuck about you or the fans and that we should all be grateful that got rid of Bob Ellis and took his world title.  Then they have lesser wrestling until Baron Von Raschke bumps all over the ring for Sailor Art Thomas until TV time runs out.  Not that you really need to see how the Baron cheated to win or anything.  You got to see him bump all over the ring which was 80% of what the Baron was about.

• Like 4

In retrospect, I got to Indiana just in time to miss the Bruisers promotion. In 5 years, I can't ever remember anyone running Bloomington. I asked JC about it as a draw over the years and he said it was never a big town for wrestling. 

I do regret once having a car that we never drove down to Evansville to see USWA (as it was by then) live. 

It's Fritz Von Erich's World Class from January 12, 1983.  So I need to go back and watch pre-WWF King Kong Bundy, because he looks great in the first match against Kevin Von Erich.  They have two different film viewings of the Freebirds- y'know, being evil, as Michael PS Hayes is the ref and Terry Gordy is the gatekeeper of a Ric Flair/ Kerry Von Erich no DQ cagematch.  The first viewing is Kerry Von Erich and I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but Kerry Von Erich doesn't come off as being very... smart.  He does get over that he hates the Freebirds.  They then have a match between Terry Gordy and Brian Adias, and Hayes comes in through the crowd and tries to sneak up on Kerry, who is ringside.  They run around the ring and Kerry chases Hayes long enough for Terry Gordy to fucking destroy Adias and it's awesome.  They watch the Flair/Kerry footage with referee David Manning who pretty much admits to not being very good at controlling a Freeebird.  Then King Kong Bundy is back, this time squashing a 12 year old Samu.  Beautiful Texas wrestling.  Yes....

• Like 1

More Dick The Bruiser's WWA from 1977.  Ox Baker was soooo absolutely great at everything except actual wrestling.  So Great- "I know that I disgust you!"  Then he is wrestling a tiny guy and yet Ox still gets busted open hardway.  But yeah, Ox was horrible in the ring.  Moose Cholak takes on (hooker or shooter) Big Bill Miller and they are well past their primes but they do make it a good hoss battle by the end but you kids today with your sunset flips and dropkicks may not appreciate the fact that this goes BROADWAY!  The main event is awesome.  One forgets how great the Sheik was at garnering chaos and it is true mayhem.  And the fact that the Sheik and Dick the Bruiser never touch each other and Jacque Goulet takes an assbeating because the Sheik won't tag in is very old school.  This is great.

Dick the Bruiser's WWA from 1969.  Bobby Heenan is all dapper and evil managing the Booker T of the Blackjacks, Blackjack Lanza.  Lanza wrestles the most 70's studio match of 1969.   It's great.  It reminds me of watching Mid-Atlantic when I was 9.  Lou Thesz wrestles and he was just then leaving the echelon of champions.  He doesn't sell anything from the little Cuban man.  The Mongol wrestles and I don't think he is from Mongolia.  Note the mountain of bullshit the announcer doles out about the Mongol and his culture.  HE BEAT A SEVEN FOOT MAN!  The last match is Bruiser and Crusher beating the crap out of two guys for comically a 2 out of 3 falls match.  Crusher and Bruiser were the Road Warriors in 1969.  The show ends with a baffling and very 1969ish interview with the California Hell's Angels.

• Like 1

Does 90s Australia count as a territory, especially when it consists almost entirely of ECW/Dallas indy/Mexican workers plus NAILZ and Primo Carnera Jr? Asking for a friend. Either way, bring a raincoat because the sleaze count is pretty damn high.

• Like 2

The graduates are awesome.  Managed by Mark Manson from Haight-Ashbury!  This was just four years after the Manson murders.  Angelo Poffo and, from San Francisco, Kitty Dillenger are total 1973 lice-infested hippies!  Such great pants.  Crusher wrestles BlackJack Lanza and it breaks down to Crusher and Bruiser beating on the BlackJacks and Pretty Boy Bobby Heenan.  Heenan takes a midgrade bump so this isn't transcendent or anything.  A nine year old Nikolai Volkoff starts off the proceedings; the freaky stylings of Baron Von Raschke plays us out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

The graduates are awesome.  Managed by Mark Manson from Haight-Ashbury!  This was just four years after the Manson murders.  Angelo Poffo and, from San Francisco, Kitty Dillenger are total 1973 lice-infested hippies!  Such great pants.  

I remember from the wrestling mags that the foreign object that Manson used was "The Book of Knowledge".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shane said:

I always have time for a Gary Young match...

American Gladiator Malibu is also on this show! I never knew he actually wrestled, he always seemed like a poser when he would play a wrestler in sitcoms.

This is a random Mid-Atlantic episode from May 1983.  I was not watching wrestling at this point, because I had discovered the allure of the ladies, being 16 and all.  The two memorable things is 1.) the contest to win a giant picture of Number One Paul Jones which is absolutely awesome, and 2.) the main event which is Jack and Jerry Brisco wrestling two of the strangest freaks to wrestle, Jimmy Boogie Woogie Man Valiant and Rufus R Freight Train Jones.  So strange.

I don't know how much of this is out there (video description indicates that it might be the only surviving episode?), but I'd watch anything else available. Montreal is one of the territories that I know next to nothing about. Especially this early in the 80s.

There's a fairly boilerplate, but still fun Andre handicap match in this one. Andre seems like he's in a good mood, which makes it feel more light hearted, I guess

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shane said:

I don't know how much of this is out there (video description indicates that it might be the only surviving episode?), but I'd watch anything else available. Montreal is one of the territories that I know next to nothing about. Especially this early in the 80s.

There's a fairly boilerplate, but still fun Andre handicap match in this one. Andre seems like he's in a good mood, which makes it feel more light hearted, I guess

You left out Lord Alfred Hayes cutting a promo in FRENCH!!!! He sounds like such a sinister prick and I know very very little French.

Stampede from 1982 is pretty awesome.  GORO TSURUMI wrestles Gene Kiniski.  Everybody s horrible on the mic, especially JR Foley, whose job is to be good on the mic.  Dynamite Kid does a fucking crazy plancha off the ringpost to the floor that looks crazy in 2021.  I can't even begin to imagine how insane that looked in 1982.  Also Ken fucking Wayne and Danny Davis wrestle in the opener.  3 Harts- Keith, Bruce and Bret- Keith is the most electric on THE STICK~!  Oh!  And Davey Boy Smith is getting bigger but isn't roided out yet.  Duke Myers wins but doesn't blade like a freak like you would want AND THEN A DUSTY FINISH!  Oh man, I want to see next week's match- Bret Hart and David Schultz against Dynamite Kid and Duke Myers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ah!  In case you forget how great Ken Patera was, watch him bump all over the ring for Rufus R Freight Train Jones' cousin, Special Delivery Jones!  George the Animal Steele is fun chewing on Frank Williams' arm and being a general maniac.  Baron Mikal Sicluna is your all star, jabbing Peter Maivia in the neck with a foreign object.  The Grand Wizard gets giant wads of homoerotic heat oiling up the latissimus dorsi of and doing the hair of Superstar Billy Graham.  1977 WWWF was not known for its WORKRATE~!

• Like 2