DVDVR Message Board

Complete Territory Episodes

DEAN

Great Georgia angle via Nashville, Harley Race uses Austin Idol to try to put out Tommy Rich.  Dream Machine is hilarious.

• Like 5

This has Lawler and Dundee against Fuji and Tanaka and it reminded me that pressure points were a big deal in the 1970s, before MMA exposed it as being bullshit.  They have Tony Charles and a teenage Eddie Gilbert going broadway with Wayne Farris and Larry Latham, in a great example of 70s studio wrestling.  I just love how glamorous Larry Latham is here, knowing that he will one day be hillbilly degenerate Moondog Spot after twenty years and eighty pounds.  Farris has "heart breaker" across his butt and Latham has "night moves" across his butt, which reminded me that Bob Seger was giant in late 70s, early 80s wrestling.  I remember on an old NWA trading card I had, Larry Zbrysko said he loved Bob Seger.  And of course, Boogie Woogie Man Jimmy Valiant has the Seger song title, "Come To Papa" tattooed on his chest (the ONLY cool wrestling tattoo).

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Harley Race's naval-leave tattoos are threatening to kick your ass from beyond the grave

HA!  He's dead!  He'll never touch me!  Seriously, Valiant has the only cool tattoo. ONLY.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

“On hand tonight ... The Midgets”

"That's not a midget, that's a young man having a ball..."

EDIT:  Man, little people were pushed harder than Ric Flair coming in.

ANOTHER EDIT:  According to cagematch.net, the Destroyer was Fidel Sierra, as I was wondering why the piledriver on Eric Embry looked so good.

20 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

The same Fidel Sierra that was a latter day WCW C-Show wrestler?

Oh yeah.  He was soooo underrated.

I had never seen the footage of Tommy Rich winning the NWA title.  I wonder how many times it changed hands on a Lou Thesz Press.   The rest is a whole lotta Freebirds.  Terry Gordy is awesome.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Russians vs RnR 7/13/85 air date

Robert Gibson assumes the role of Ricky Morton and takes twice the assbeating Ricky would usually take.  Ricky as a house afire means the finish can be a little complex.

• Like 2

Southeastern from 1985 is so fun.  Embryonic Arn Anderson, Ron Fuller, a face Robert Fuller, Mr Olympia (Jerry Oates I'm assuming), a face Austin Idol.  The best is Jimmy Golden on the mic.  A blood drenched Robert Fuller being indecipherable postmatch- this has everything.  Oh yeah!  Porkchops Cash!  I saw him wrestle Eric the Red at a high school gym in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1977.  Actually, the pinnacle of this episode is Arn Anderson and Jimmy Golden playing to the back of the room after Mr Olympia puts his feet on the ropes to pin Ron Ash.

• Like 2

Handsome Jimmy Valiant and Tommy Rich is all about THE HEAT!  Evil Tommy Rich is he greatest Tommy Rich.  Eddie Gilbert tags with his dad.  Bobby Eaton debuts as the NEW king of wrestling!

Oh man how have I never heard of Warrior of the Lost World before? Robert Ginty, Donald Pleasence, AND Fred the Hammer Williamson? It got MST3K'd years ago. The actual trailer isn't as good as the one the Southwestern station made but it looks even shittier. 

• Like 1

This is the topic I needed. Most of the wrestling I've been watching since the demise of New Japan has been full eps of territories and Puerto Rican + Japanese commercial tapes.

Here's the March 22nd, 1986 episode of CWA Memphis. Really, really good sit-down interview w/ Dutch Mantell caps off the first quarter-hour (dude can play guitar better than me!) but the real drama is in Bill Dundee & Buddy Landell's beatdown of 19-year old, still innocent referee Jeff Jarrett, with involvement from Jerry and grandpa Eddie Marlin. Bill Dundee cuts an all-time promo afterwards even if he gets bleeped for half of it. The wrestlers, Lance Russell, the crowd, everybody sells it like the most heinous act in history and it's some riveting stuff. The high school cheerleading squad from Bartlett, TN sitting in the front row helps.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Another Portland tape this one has Hogan’s brother Dizzy

Oh man, the David Shultz/Tommy Rogers match is boss.

EDIT:  Buddy Rose versus Curt Hennig is super boss!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

This is the topic I needed. Most of the wrestling I've been watching since the demise of New Japan has been full eps of territories and Puerto Rican + Japanese commercial tapes.

Here's the March 22nd, 1986 episode of CWA Memphis. Really, really good sit-down interview w/ Dutch Mantell caps off the first quarter-hour (dude can play guitar better than me!) but the real drama is in Bill Dundee & Buddy Landell's beatdown of 19-year old, still innocent referee Jeff Jarrett, with involvement from Jerry and grandpa Eddie Marlin. Bill Dundee cuts an all-time promo afterwards even if he gets bleeped for half of it. The wrestlers, Lance Russell, the crowd, everybody sells it like the most heinous act in history and it's some riveting stuff. The high school cheerleading squad from Bartlett, TN sitting in the front row helps.

Dutch Mantell playing "Wildwood Flower" on the guitar is fucking COUNTRY.

• Thanks 1