DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/14/2021

Dolfan in NYC

To be fair it does caveat with “in AEW”. Bit of a strange match up. Should really be a one sided squash to get a resurgent Jericho over .. but that does nothing for FTR. Could have done with either Jericho squashing the weakest of the group (Spears?), or Sammy in ring with Jericho ringside. Let’s see how it goes! 

1 minute ago, A_K said:

To be fair it does caveat with “in AEW”. Bit of a strange match up. Should really be a one sided squash to get a resurgent Jericho over .. but that does nothing for FTR. Could have done with either Jericho squashing the weakest of the group (Spears?), or Sammy in ring with Jericho ringside. Let’s see how it goes! 

Spears is the weakest of the group by far. Boy he sticks out in a bad way to the rest of his stablemates: MJF, Hardwood, Wheeler, Wardlow and Tully. The Virgil of n.W.o Black and White. The Paul Roma of the Four Horesemen etc.

• Like 1

He serves a purpose so long as they don’t try to project all members as being of equal threat level. NWO also worked quite well because they clearly tiered who the threats were and who the hangers-on/jobbers were.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A_K said:

He serves a purpose so long as they don’t try to project all members as being of equal threat level. NWO also worked quite well because they clearly tiered who the threats were and who the hangers-on/jobbers were.

I both agree and disagree. There were tiers in the n.W.o but the membership grew too bloated with riff raff.

59 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

As if anyone should care about Dax or Cash's singles records.

Highly relevant. You do not cultivate an aura of top-of-the-card team greatness by neutering a 2-man team at the singles level. Especially when, as noted above, the same team member also ate a loss cleanly in his very most recent singles appearance. I'll assume therefore this doesn't end cleanly.

Meh. Their greatness comes from their alleged ability to milk every bit of advantage out of the tag team format. Not sure how that lends itself to putting any stock in their singles record (be they winners or losers) as it's not their game and not the format in which they're primarily featured. But you do you. 

• Like 3

Exactly.  Good singles wrestlers being able to beat good tag wrestlers in singles matches is pretty old school and makes perfect sense.  Likewise, I’d expect a good tag team to beat two singles wrestlers thrown together.

The Road Warriors and The Rock and Roll Express were top teams but I saw main events with Hawk vs Flair and Morton vs Flair and they could never win the title.  Nobody complained about how not being able to pin Flair hurt their respective teams.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

Sure - but Jungle Boy & Jericho aren't the world title holder, so its a bit far from competing against prime Flair. So we end up with the narrative here of ... you need to believe us when we tell you this team are incredible & intimidating & aspiring to GOAT level .. but we'll also job them out as singles whenever they compete. So perhaps the real narrative is that tag teams are just for losers who can't cut it at mid-card level in singles? Not sure. Depends how they want to position the threat-level of their tag division (Hardys would be routinely destroyed at singles level in early-00s despite being frequent T-Title holders). Anyway, as mentioned if they job him cleanly he'll have been jobbed in both his calendar-year singles bouts, so doubt we see that happen.

Edited by A_K

Jungle Boy was at the same level as Dax - another (mostly) tag guy looking for a win.  Jericho is a former world champion and should be far enough above Dax.  In kayfabe, both make sense as clean jobs.  I don’t think teams should be characterized as failed midcarders.  As @John from Cincinnatimentioned, tag teams are supposed to be out of their element in singles matches, that’s all.

This isn’t WWE where top singles guys beat tag champs in handicap matches.  

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

Tag title match went WAY too long. All y'all who think Kenny Omega is bad at pro-wrestling? He's Lou Fucking Thesz compared to the Bucks. Pac and Fenix are were decent but this ultimately sucked. Bucks matches are AEW's equivalent of the Gargano v Cole/Shawn Michaels NXT trash. 

Rest of the show was perfectly fine TV wrestling. 

• Like 1

That tag title match owned as far as matches that are All The Moves goes, what the fuck. I get that this is going to be entirely too much in one match for some tastes, but goddamn, if you can swallow it this was something else.

I have confused feelings when I watch Jade Cargill beat the shit out of people.

Mike Tyson killed Cash Wheeler.

The crowd is really, really into Kris Statlander.

Taz said "shithead". Christian is out here putting over Powerhouse Hobbs out of the goodness of his heart. This company is wild.

Matt Hardy is so weirdly immobile. He's closer to Mr. Pogo than Hayabusa on the hardcore wrestler scale at this point. Darby Allin: Still a total bump lunatic. I'm a mark for wrestlers whose game is "kill me until I win".

This show ruled

• Like 4

I enjoyed the mix of styles tonight, with a modern style tag title match,  a throwback NWA-style match with Jericho and Harwood and a weapons brawl / Russo cluster in the main. Much better show than last week, IMO.

Jericho/Harwood was way better than I expected, and holy shit that Tyson punch! Jericho's best match in a while, IMO.

Man, once you hear the blatant Horsemen theme undertones in the Pinnacle theme you just can't unhear them. I can dig it.

I think they were shooting for "Paul Heyman ECW where various storylines intersect in a match" with the middle third of the main, but it didn't work for me and I think they should have left that on the cutting room floor. Sick finish though!

I also absolutely love the Bill Watts- and JR-approved logic behind Baker's push toward the title. That's why you have a Top 5, to use it as a plot device like this. She's great and there's a nice rogue's gallery for her as a champion (Rosa, Statlander, Conti, Deeb, Velvet). 

• Like 2

Start of the show really reinforces my idea that AEW booking arrives at a lot of the right destinations after taking people on tedious journeys. Everything about the Bucks’ wishy-washy characterization has sucked these last few months. But the destination is a rejuvenated Bucks who are firmly heel, which is something I can get excited about. Liked the new gear. Mistakenly going back to the babyface corner was too cute, as was the explanation of why they’d switched sides. I liked the crocodile tears later though. OTT trolls is the best Buck flavour. Jim Ross hates back rakes, and I hope the Bucks make him storm away from the booth in disgust some day soon. Match was great. 

Chris Jericho is no longer remotely funny. My man’s lost whatever fastball he had.

Oh, a Miro promo that seems to be headed in the right direction? GOOD.

I like Ogogo crumbling dudes with one punch. Not sure how much sense it makes in a company that has that opening match, but I like it.

Britt Baker speaking to the people like they’re garbage might never get old.

The Pixies almost works better for Statlander than any of the others. 

• Like 7

Great recovery show where I felt like everything hit and achieved a goal. Ecw style intersection of feuds was cool and Big Money Matt has saved his AEW run following a pretty disastrous 8 months or so minus the stampede and tag match before it. Ogogo with the Golden right one shot is awesome. Great gimmick. Loved the elite promo. Bucks were fantastic and I really hope Pac and Fenix get a run as champs.

Jade Cargill is my favourite and I hope she beats Velvet up for years before Velvet finally gets one win. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

Oh yeah, Ogogo using a body blow as a finish. Totally loved that. Don't think I've ever seen that before. 

Don't ever disrespect Mike Barton and Da Golden Left!