DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Back in the LED Cave, 04/12/21

Sex Machine Gun

Via Wrestlinginc:

Tonight’s WWE RAW will be the biggest episode of the year, featuring fallout from Night One and Night Two of WrestleMania 37.

RAW will take place from the WWE ThunderDome at Yuengling Center on the University of South Florida campus in Tampa, Florida. This show will mark WWE’s first event under the new residency at the Yuengling Center.

WWE has not announced any matches or segments for tonight’s show but it’s likely that new red brand champions will appear – RAW Women’s Champion Rhea Ripley, RAW Tag Team Champions Omos and AJ Styles, and WWE United States Champion Sheamus.

It will be interesting to see if “The Fiend” Randy Orton appears after last night’s loss to Randy Orton, which was apparently caused by Alexa Bliss. It looks like WWE has a new chapter in that storyline to continue. An appearance by WWE Champion Bobby Lashley is also possible to celebrate his Night One win over Drew McIntyre.

The RAW After WrestleMania usually features surprises and call-ups, but there’s no word yet on what WWE has planned for this year.

I'm more curious to see what the people who lost are doing next. Does Drew keep scrapping with Lashley? Is anyone expected to be called up soon? Does THE MAN return to challenge (and ultimately put over) Rhea Ripley? Will Riddle develop an edge?

This came up in the Discord during Wrestlemania's second night: does WWE try to mimic the post-Mania Raw crowd through artificial noise? Highly doubtful I think, denying us the true WM weekend experience until 2022.

The small typo in the original copy ("It will be interesting to see if 'The Fiend' Randy Orton appears after last night’s loss to Randy Orton...") made me wonder if this Wyatt/Orton shit would be more interesting if Orton were then forced to wear the mantle of The Fiend, like it's some kind of "Jason Vorhees in 'Jason Goes To Hell'" gimmick.

Then I started missing Chikara.

I'll end up watching tonight just because I'm a fan of Adnan Virk, so I'll be curious to see how he handles this role. He'll definitely get bashed early by fans since he'll be new to calling pro wrestling. 

• Like 2

Post-Mania is typically pretty good for shaking things up, starting new angles, and calling up a a few people but this was just more of the same. They even capped it off by making yet another Drew/Lashley match.

Shelton and Cedric got dropped by THB and go straight to jobbing to the returning Viking Raiders, though tbh neither team were really in a position to lose. Then MVP's bright idea is to seemingly replace them with two guys in a failed stable who could never get any momentum going? Hopefully he at least unmasks them.

The new commentator was enthusiastic and articulate, but I got the impression he wasn't all that knowledgeable about wrestling.

I was looking forward to the Asuka/Rhea rematch as I thought they had a better match in them after Mania, but man this was bad. I don't know if they just don't have chemistry or what but Charlotte running in was a mercy killing.

What an absolute shitshow. 

Fuck this company, and fuck me for getting excited for what's usually the most fun Raw of the year. And fuck Kenny Omega, just for good measure.

• Like 5

Just now, For Great Justice said:

Asuka and Rhea....woof, that was bad.

Yeah, they were half assing it, but speaking of half-assing... 

welcome back Charlotte?  

That was... not a great beatdown. 

As a big fan of Rhea and Asuka, that was a really off night for both of them. I'm guessing it's at least partly because it's Rhea's first night in Thunderdome (her finger-wagging at Asuka's back was ... not something that really made sense in this context, but it would have worked if there was more of an audience to play to, and it looked like she was not positioned correctly on the electric chair that worked - that was a bit more back-to-the-hard-cam than usual)

...but that doesn't explain Asuka's dropkick botch or the electric chair slip or the sliding knee going over Rhea's head or whatever happened with that Samoan Drop-Crucifix... thing.... 

... the faceplant after the cloverleaf rope break was cool, at least?

On a character level, it might have been tough for Rhea to grasp her motivation in the match?

Edited by Iron Moose

Three hour show and where the hell were the new champions? No AJ Styles, no Omos, no Sheamus? What the flying frell? This is unforgivable for a post-WrestleMania show. Why was Riddle on the show tonight but not the guy he lost clean to? This is hot garbage.

• Like 7

I fast forwarded through most of Raw.

Nice to see the Viking Raiders back though it sucks to see Cedric/Shelton jobbing to them.

Asuka/Rhea tonight vs. their match at WrestleMania was night and day in quality. These two just had a massively off night and it never really came back together fully once the mistakes started. Charlotte coming down to to attack both was definitely a mercy killing. I am happy to see Charlotte as a heel again at least.

Nia embarrassing herself would have been fine if it led to her losing to Mandy and Dana. Having the two run off from an angry Nia and taking a count out loss was just dumbass.

The triple threat was there. Drew winning was dumb an unnecessary. Priest should have been in this and  given a shot instead of him continuing on with Miz and Morrison sans Bad Bunny. Dijik and Maddon as new members of the Hurt Business could potentially work, but they needed to have new looks already instead of showing up in their Retribution gear.

Maybe I missed them, but the lack of AJ and Omos was annoying

Raw was bad but sadly within my expectations. I didn't expect anything big or new to happen, especially with the next ppv being labeled Wrestlemania Backlash. Hopefully Smackdown is better.

• Like 1

I tuned in just in time for Rhea/Asuka and boy. You guys all nailed it. They seemed like they were trying to rush through a lot of complicated stuff and were just botching it left and right. Charlotte might have felt like a mercy killing if it weren't Charlotte, which just made it feel like a plain old murder. (Charlotte's shoe size must be huge btw.)

After that I pretty well checked out. The Bray promo having a puppet saying a bleeped 'fuck', him using bad slang and then imitating a revival preacher was at least a tiny line-step. Retribution hopefully get to lose the gear and names next. Dana and the other one look like identical twins. Drew's sword went in the ground crooked and Braun laughed at it. It was just a mess. 

EDIT: And man I didn't even hear the train sound when Braun was running like everyone says has been happening! No fair. 

What did everyone think about the announcer? He didn't bother me or anything but I have nothing to say about him otherwise that has any bearing.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

And man I didn't even hear the train sound when Braun was running like everyone says has been happening! No fair. 

I was bummed too but think there wasn't a choo-choo since he wasn't going to hit anyone and got biffed in the face with the ring steps instead.

EDIT: They should have played the sound of a train crashing! Missed opportunity there, Dunn.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I was bummed too but think there wasn't a choo-choo since he wasn't going to hit anyone and got biffed in the face with the ring steps instead.

Damn, that's telegraphing whether he's gonna hit or not, then! If that's the case. Also, if he's running and doesn't hear the choo-choo, he should automatically hit the brakes, because he's about miss or crash!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1