DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 37 Post Match Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Honestly, my biggest takeaway is probably the extent to which the two night format works better than one 7 hour marathon. I really do think that a lot of the general good will towards these shows is down to the 3 hour run times. I'm sure that would be even more clear if they have future two night events with full crowds. There's numerous examples of matches dying on their arse in recent years because they occurred so late into the show. If there's any way they can pull it off, I think they must move to the two night model in the future.

• Like 1

Night 2 was a solid if unspectacular night but I will say I am far more interested in WWE coming out of the show than coming in so that makes the show a winner. 

The Tribal Chief should be champion until next year's Mania, at least. 

I'm surprised to see some of the goodwill towards the women's tag last night. It was practically a handicap match most of the time with Tamina laying on the outside. Also, it looked like she must've been taking her splash lessons from Snoop Dogg. There was a botched tag even! I dunno, maybe if I had some kind of investment in Tamina, but I haven't been watching that story unfold. 

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I'm surprised to see some of the goodwill towards the women's tag last night. It was practically a handicap match most of the time with Tamina laying on the outside. Also, it looked like she must've been taking her splash lessons from Snoop Dogg. There was a botched tag even! I dunno, maybe if I had some kind of investment in Tamina, but I haven't been watching that story unfold. 

Time seemed to stand still while Natalya and Tamina stood waiting for Nia to hit that crossbody

• Like 2

Sometimes the best answer is:  Do nothing.   They shouldn't do anything with Roman.   Build up challengers and have him mow them down.  Cesaro and Big E are both good candidates to be elevated but fall short.  

The Rock HAS to happen.  That is a 100,000 AT&T Stadium match.  

I agree with the general consensus on most things:

* Two nights is better than one night, both for viewing at home and I can only imagine for viewing in-person, too: People don't get as worn out, the pacing makes more sense, it allows for two legitimate main events, and it makes each match feel more important.

* Night 1 was better than Night 2, but I don't think either was anything less than "Good." Easily the best Wrestlemania since 31.

* Lowlights were Braun helping Shane do a front flip for all the dum-dums in the audience, Hulk Hogan both being and making everyone else uncomfortable (the wink-wink "You can't be calling people scurvy dogs and scalawags on live TV" line), any-and-all Fiend business, a botchy, rushed Tag Team Turmoil and whatever is going on with Apollo Crews and his accent.

* Highlights were Sasha-Bianca being the best match of either night (and after rewatching it a second time, a MOTYC, honestly), Cesaro and Rollins putting on a clinic, great Roman Reigns booking, Bad Bunny being an excellent celebrity wrestler with a great entrance, Lashley/McIntyre and Sheamus/Riddle both working to everyone's strengths, and Sami and KO trying to kill each other just because why not. It was great to see Rhea get the win she should have had last year, but I think the heel/face dynamic was confusing, which led to it feeling a little deflated.

* Hot take is that I really liked the women's tag title match. The crowd was weirdly into it, they were laying things in super hard (maybe not on purpose!), it occasionally got a little messy but not in a way that felt distracting, each wrestler played a distinct role and had their own fighting style, and I liked the overall Nattie-In-Peril story of the match. Maybe it's the beneficiary of a low bar, but I liked it a lot more than the Big E match, for instance.

Excited to entirely stop paying attention again until Summerslam!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Riddle/Seamus hard-hitting fun. Big E entrance was great; Wale knocked it out the park. Enjoyed the Triple Threat a lot. Problem with the ending is that while Roman is, rightly, established as the dominant left standing, he achieved it more through a blend of Edge & Uso's work than his own. That would have been far sweeter had he found a way to resist the Edge chair-shot himself, and then put down some (dimly) resurrgent Bryan for the double-pin. As is, it remains a cool visual, but gets him over far less.

I overall liked WM and it'd be a huge mistake to try and do a long-ass 1-night show again.  So of course that's what they're planning to do once this pesky pandemic is over.  But two nights worked quite well even though I liked night one better.  I also generally liked the crowd who had reactions not far from how I viewed things.  Whether they wanted KO to stun Logan or boo the crap out of Hogan I was cool with how they were.  But the one thing I will never get over is how close together everybody was on the floor.  Unless they had to show proof of vaccine that shit was inexcusable especially since the upper sections had cardboard cutouts and people spaced apart.  I just really hope it doesn't end up being a super-spreader event but I have a bad feeling about it.

Anyway as for the show itself my main takeaway from it is how cool it was seeing Sasha/Bianca main event.  I know it's a PR move they're doing but it was still a powerful moment considering the fucker that runs WWE.   Also really adore Bianca so to see her almost break down to start made things a bit dusty around here.  I'm just incredibly happy for her considering all that she went through (see her Chronicle episode for that)  And then you see things like her dad almost falling over and Sasha smiling too and it felt just so damn right.  I have no faith in WWE realizing what they have but I am very cautiously optimistic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I generally enjoyed Night 2 but it didn’t have the highs of Night 1 for me.

I now also find myself wondering how much my enjoyment of the shows was helped by the fact that I’m not a regular WWE viewer.  Like, I enjoyed Riddle and Sheamus dropping bombs on each other...but would I have enjoyed it as much if I had just seen them wrestle on Raw a week ago?  If I had seen Big E and Apollo wrestle a half dozen times already?  Or had to sit through the entirety of this Natalya/Tamina storyline over the past few months?

I brought up the same thing on Discord. I loosely follow the stuff with Roman, the Hurt Business, Ripley, Belair, and Big E's progress but not his matches. To me it felt like the best way to watch WWE. Ignore all of the TV, watch the big PPV show, wonder WTF is going on for some of it (Braun's booking, whatever the hell the Fiend shit was, etc.), and overall enjoying the rest because it wasn't overexposed to me. Even the worst shit I found myself laughing at instead of being aggravated at. As ridiculous as Shane McMahon: MMA Enthusiast was when he was beating up Braun, I ultimately just laughed at it and thought it was wrestlecrap, when other times I would have shaken my fist at the air for them wasting Braun.

And sorry for bringing up AEW and NJPW, but it's why I enjoy their products more. The big matches or the matches being built up to aren't overexposed on weekly TV. Even though both companies have a lot of ebb and flow (more ebb for NJPW lately I guess), they still make me feel like my patience is rewarded when we get to the big match on Dynamite, PPV, or even Dark when it comes to that QT vs Fuego del Sol match. 

Skipping out on the majority of Raw and SD is at least an artificial way of making the PPVs more watchable or making me care more about the matches on PPV. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

I should note that on both nights I was able to pause, rewind and fast forward on the mobile Peacock app during the live stream of the show. I'm not sure how they can do that for the app on my phone but not for the TV 

edit: looks like it was Apple devices only for now but that will change in time. 

Screen-Shot-2021-04-12-at-10-26-45-AM.pn

As a wrestling app, Peacock is absolute trash. It's even worse than NJPW World. 

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

As a wrestling app, Peacock is absolute trash. It's even worse than NJPW World. 

On Discord, I said it was worse than B/R Live, which you also can't pause or rewind and it's been nearly TWO YEARS now...At least you can do that with NJPW World, but I use my Chromecast for it. At least with B/R Live it gives you the option of starting from beginning. You can't even do that on Peacock. So yeah, Peacock is by far the worst for live viewing.

It's also laughable that it's going to take them four fucking months to implement something as simple as PAUSE and REWIND.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sometimes the best answer is:  Do nothing.   They shouldn't do anything with Roman.   Build up challengers and have him mow them down.  Cesaro and Big E are both good candidates to be elevated but fall short.  

The Rock HAS to happen.  That is a 100,000 AT&T Stadium match.  

Big E should be the guy to beat Roman. So you have The Rock vanquish him, and then what? Rock is 48 years old and has one of the busiest schedules on the planet. He's not a guy you can build a company around right now.

On Discord, I said it was worse than B/R Live, which you also can't pause or rewind and it's been nearly TWO YEARS now...At least you can do that with NJPW World, but I use my Chromecast for it. At least with B/R Live it gives you the option of starting from beginning. You can't even do that on Peacock. So yeah, Peacock is by far the worst for live viewing.

It's also laughable that it's going to take them four fucking months to implement something as simple as PAUSE and REWIND.

As I recall, WWE Network had those features for WrestleMania and for the other live event streams at the very start back in 2014. We didn't know how good we had it with WWE Network. It wasn't perfect, but it was leagues better than this. Also, the layout and organization. It's really hard for me to find anything on Peacock. Also, it moves slow as hell on PlayStation.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You have to remember, P'coq has only been around for like 6 months and before last weekend, no one outside of Seinfeld obsessives and sports gambling nuts were using it at all.  

So, while the interface to see if Crystal Palace would lose to Aston Villa by 6 or 7 this week was fine...  the hundreds of thousands of new streams that came this weekend are going to cause some smoke to come out of places they hadn't thought to look before. 

I'm actually pleasantly surprised the whole thing didn't crash (for me). 

No doubt about it, Big E should be the one to be super elevated to defeat Roman. You HAVE to create a new star that has some kind of parity with Roman, a Macho Man to his Hogan if you will. What good does it do to build to Roman vs the Rock for the next year while crushing competition and ensuring they all stay under the glass ceiling? At some point, you need to give people a reason to give a shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So you have The Rock vanquish him, and then what? Rock is 48 years old and has one of the busiest schedules on the planet.

Roman beats him too.  The match should happen with Roman going over not the other way around.   i agree that Big E  is a great candidate to be the guy that goes over. 

Also..     WWE video team is still the best.  Made these feuds seem epic when  in reality most of the TV was trash. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

You have to remember, P'coq has only been around for like 6 months and before last weekend, no one outside of Seinfeld obsessives and sports gambling nuts were using it at all.  

So, while the interface to see if Crystal Palace would lose to Aston Villa by 6 or 7 this week was fine...  the hundreds of thousands of new streams that came this weekend are going to cause some smoke to come out of places they hadn't thought to look before. 

That's a good point. I will also say something positive. I didn't run into the issue I always ran into with the new WWE Network of pausing and unpausing and the stream jumping right to whatever was happening live. I mean, that couldn't happen because the functionality wasn't there, but it's something at least.

4 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And EPL watchers. 

ive only had minimal issues watching gutbol on peacock or nbcsn, usually login issues, not streaming problems.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

What good does it do to build to Roman vs the Rock for the next year while crushing competition

Roman should go on a very lengthy reign anyway.  Establish him as near  impossible to beat so when someone does  it's a huge moment. Big E could be the guy to do it,  i'm not suggesting Dwayne win.   But it's a ready made showdown. 

How about the Rock sucks in the ring and can't work without significantly injuring himself because he's old and the most juiced up person in Hollywood? How about not holding out hope that I guy who is that busy is going to be able to meaningfully commit to a build and match?

It's dumb. It's the equivalent of mortgaging your future. 

• Like 2

Yeah, Rock/Roman at Mania sounds awesome in theory, but the logistics of it just don’t seem compatible with reality.

On top of that, you’d be asking WWE to somehow keep Big E strong but away from the title for a year-plus to allow this all to play out, and there is 0% chance they could pull off that balancing act.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Craig H said:

How about the Rock sucks in the ring and can't work without significantly injuring himself because he's old and the most juiced up person in Hollywood? How about not holding out hope that I guy who is that busy is going to be able to meaningfully commit to a build and match?

It's dumb. It's the equivalent of mortgaging your future. 

How about the "Head of the Table" story writes itself and would sell a billion tickets and PPVs and everyone would be glued to the TV screen? Nobody said he's gotta go over...    

There's a time and a place for part timers that's the one  instance where  it'd be perfect.  Much better than people wanting CM Punk back for no reason at all. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I just feel like NBCUniversal doesn't get or understand what wrestling fans want in a subscription service and they are absolutely clueless on how to present a wrestling product on streaming. WWE Network had just started and I feel like the Network as an app had a better handle on how to present itself better to the more active fan who would want to pay for a monthly service than Peacock does after 6 months. And that was 7 years go. 

You guys do realize there's a better chance of them bringing over Drew  in the draft to beat Roman than the Big E story?  Since we wanna discuss what's realistic. 

i love Big E.   Don't get your hopes up.. 

That's certainly one way they could go to get Roman a new opponent. I like Drew and all, but Big E's energy for his introduction on Night 1 alone just reinforces my belief even more that he'd be the guy and it would have multiple great built-in storylines there. 

Edited by TheVileOne