DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 37 Post Match Thread

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was amused that Sami/Owens was worked like a 2000s NOAH main with all the neck death and then it ends on of all things, a stunner. I guess it was either that or switch the winner and let Sami use the corner brainbuster which is something that Vince has probably been shown a video of and said "no fucking way". 

Hogan getting booed again was great, and even better it was back-and-forth yays for Titus and boos for Hogan. Titus' hesitation at following the other two before finally bailing on Bayley was also great. Poor Bayley at least got some time on the show being a harpy towards everyone, but bumping for the Bellas sucks. I said in the chat that she needs her own Rebel/Reba but I don't know who that would be. 

Billie Kay would be perfect as Bayley's Reba.

I also thought for a minute they were going to let Sami hit the Brainbustahhhhh  but nope. The crowd would have went banana had he hit it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

And then have them kick the shit out of each other on the way to a no contest leading to a "Best of Seven" and then a tag team ala The Bar.

All in for a Kabuki Bosses year-long run with the tag belts.

• Like 1

Great way to bookend the weekend with both world champs leaving in the hands of the bad guys.

I did not see every match since having a toddler means I just randomly have to fall asleep during key matches. I also was on protest from watching WWE for reasons but I am a weak man like all of us so did not know much of the backstories aside from the Reigns match and Sasha/Bianca and the hysterical Sami/Owens feud.

But everything I watched was really fun. Sasha/Bianca was my favorite match. I love the Novak/Federer/Rafa style match between the Four Horsewomen as to who has the crown as the GOAT. Sasha’s got that right now after a terrific FY 2021 (from WM to WM) where she and Bayley carried the promotion for so much of the year. I have been a Bianca fan since her debut and have long thought she was the next big thing since she’s just an absolute elite athlete but also has a huge personality and has slowly learned to turn that into quality in-ring work. I was at a NXT taping where she and Nikki Cross brought the house down and she had “it” in spades there. I will never understand the online Charlotte hatred but her and Bianca will hopefully have a feud because they are both just best level athletes compared to the entire roster (both genders.) That was a great story in the match with them more-or-less being in-ring equals but Sasha thinking she was more clever by working hair spots until Bianca laid into her for the win. 

Sami/Kevin was a ton of fun. Sami’s Pretentious Paranoid Dirtbag Left character is great. I also love KO’s “failed person trying to reform but still a badass” material. Those two should just have a feud/reconciled friendship story arc every two years. 

I loved OMOS. Who the hell is that guy? Pairing him with AJ is really brilliant since you have an all-time great worker teaching him how to be a monster. OMOS needs to just have like three moves and keep up exactly how he performed on Saturday and nothing else for like 10 years.

Sunday’s main event was really good. I really liked Edge’s big runs during his prime but he was just a little overboard with his facial expressions throughout the match. Daniel Bryan was awesome as the people’s champ for this. But what else can you say about Roman at this point? He’s doing by far the best work of his career, and that includes The Shield. But his deal as an already elite world-beater who has Heyman pulling strings at his order and a lackey who is 1/2 of one of the best tag teams ever (who he beat into submission) gets him over as unconquerable. The end of the match, with him pinning both guys at once, was such an Empire Strikes Back type of ending. 

WM delivered. I have no idea how much I will want to watch after this but I am a dork.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Why were there drums at ring side for the Nigerian Drum Fight that weren't used? Why instead in a Nigerian Drum Fight did they use Singapore Canes?

Between the kendo sticks and the gong, i wonder if Vince thinks Nigeria is in Asia

While having 2 nights is definitely the way to go,  they need to figure how to balance these shows because they are 2-0 in night 1 being way better than night 2

15 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

They were working hard so I don't want to rag on them too hard but Tamina and Natalya botched a tag. That was rough.

I'll be very disappointed if Maffew doesn't dub some martial arts "whoosh, whoosh" movement sounds over that. It may have seemed like I was being too hard on Tamina in the Discord but last night was the first time I'd personally heard a crowd react to her in any substantial way. Quite the shock considering they'd just sat through Fiend shit.

Speaking of Fiend shit, I'm actually... curious to see what happens next since it was heavily implied that he was under Bliss's control. Is this the payoff for calling her "the goddess" for years?

So I guess the new wrestling Twitter conspiracy is the Fiend was actually Bo Dallas and the reason Alexa turned on him because she knew.  Their main proof is the Fiend didnt look like his usual tub of goo

Sure why not at this point

Edited by hammerva
  • Haha 1

In that case then I want them to bring back I.R.S. as a big pay off at Wrestlemania 38 to the year long question of what could have possibly warped Bo Dallas and Bray Wyatt this bad?

Edited by Spontaneous

6 hours ago, Overly Critical Man said:

That Ash Costello live performance entrance for Rhea sounded awful and should be locked away in a box-like structure forever.

Yeah I was done with that song after hearing the chorus once, and then it just kept going and going and going. At least they turned her mic on for that one because Wale was doing his best Milli Vanilli up there yet still walked into a shot with vocals going and his mouth not moving. 

• Like 2

I don't know why I listened to Meltzer's review of Banks/Belair. I couldn't listen anymore when they were talking about her gorilla press up the steps. Dave goes "I've seen guys hold a vertical suplex up the steps and that's way more impressive than a gorilla press" Like really? What was the point?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Of the week I have:

1. WALTER vs. Tommaso Ciampa. NXT TakeOver: Stand and Deliver Night 1.

2. Bianca Belair vs. Sasha Banks. WrestleMania XXXVII Night 1.

3. Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Edge. WrestleMania XXXVII Night 2.

1-2 are neck and neck fighting for top spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

So I guess the new wrestling Twitter conspiracy is the Fiend was actually Bo Dallas and the reason Alexa turned on him because she knew.  Their main proof is the Fiend didnt look like his usual tub of goo

Sure why not at this point

Alexa travels through the forbidden door to the Lake of Reincarnation and sacrifices the puppets to Carcosa in order to summon Max Cady Bray Wyatt back. The Feaux Fiend gets tossed in by a returning Eric Rowan, never to been seen or heard from again. Alexa returns a few months later without remembering anything.

Like there are worse ways to tie up this nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, RonL21 said:

I don't know why I listened to Meltzer's review of Banks/Belair. I couldn't listen anymore when they were talking about her gorilla press up the steps. Dave goes "I've seen guys hold a vertical suplex up the steps and that's way more impressive than a gorilla press" Like really? What was the point?

That's not exactly how it went down. Dave and Bryan were clearly impressed by the spot and Dave said he'd never seen anything like it, comparing it to seeing guys do the suplex up the stairs spot. Dave thought the press slam seemed harder, and Bryan said he thought the suplex was harder to balance.

It's the first two minutes of this clip.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, RonL21 said:

He watched a live video to see that Cesaro didn't actually swing Seth Rollins over 20 times. He didn't legitimately break the Big Swing record. 

30 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Alexa travels through the forbidden door to the Lake of Reincarnation and sacrifices the puppets to Carcosa in order to summon Max Cady Bray Wyatt back. The Feaux Fiend gets tossed in by a returning Eric Rowan, never to been seen or heard from again. Alexa returns a few months later without remembering anything.

Like there are worse ways to tie up this nonsense.

So in other words just like Su Yung/Susie/Susan in TNA. Somebody get James Mitchell on the horn! 

• Haha 1

Don't worry guys, I'm sure everything will be back to normal when Charlotte comes back and beats rhea clean again.

Liked night 1 better overall.   Probably go with the main or rhea/Asuka as favorite of the night, but got distracted during the women's match.

• Haha 1

I should note that on both nights I was able to pause, rewind and fast forward on the mobile Peacock app during the live stream of the show. I'm not sure how they can do that for the app on my phone but not for the TV 

edit: looks like it was Apple devices only for now but that will change in time. 

Screen-Shot-2021-04-12-at-10-26-45-AM.pn

Edited by ChesterCopperpot
  • Sad 1

I generally enjoyed Night 2 but it didn’t have the highs of Night 1 for me.

I now also find myself wondering how much my enjoyment of the shows was helped by the fact that I’m not a regular WWE viewer.  Like, I enjoyed Riddle and Sheamus dropping bombs on each other...but would I have enjoyed it as much if I had just seen them wrestle on Raw a week ago?  If I had seen Big E and Apollo wrestle a half dozen times already?  Or had to sit through the entirety of this Natalya/Tamina storyline over the past few months?

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2