DVDVR Message Board

RIP DMX

Zimbra

Pitchfork is reporting that DMX has passed away at age 50 after  being removed from life support.

I spent a huge chunk of my freshman year of college riding around in my roommate's jeep smoking weed and listening to It's Dark and Hell is Hot.  It is impossible to overstate just how huge he was from like 98-00.  Just a total force of nature.

RIP

• Like 2

He's as big of a star as there has ever been in hip-hop music. He may very well be the most complete rapper of all time. I really wish he would have overcame his demons, but it wasn't meant to be. RIP to an all time great. 

I'm watching Exit Wounds and Cradle 2 the Grave tonight. I loved those movies when I was a kid. I've never seen Belly, so this might be as good a time as any to correct that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm watching Exit Wounds and Cradle 2 the Grave tonight. I loved those movies when I was a kid. I've never seen Belly, so this might be as good a time as any to correct that.

Don't forget Romeo Must Die for the DMX/Aaliyah twofer.

• Like 2

Just now, Zimbra said:

Don't forget Romeo Must Die for the DMX/Aaliyah twofer.

For anyone doing the same as me in the next few days, that doesn't own the DVDs (I do, but I don't have a DVD/Blu-ray player):

Romeo Must Die, Exit Wounds: buy/rent from places like YouTube.

Belly: included with sub to Hulu or Amazon Prime, Cinemax

Cradle 2 The Grave: Tubi (Free), included w/ HBO Max, buy/rent on Amazon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, killsteve said:

Sad news. Addiction is a fucker.

Few songs in rap history ever got this close to "Mind Playing Tricks On Me" in the sad-gangsta pantheon. But the majority of DMX's old songs start revealing themselves as cries for help if you listen enough. I don't even want to wade through public opinion on his death, I'm sure every comments section is nothing but arguments over the dozens of animal abuse charges. Dead pitbulls in trash bags. Extreme levels of deadbeat dad-ing. I know. I don't think a healthy person could have ever achieved those simultaneous level of "intimidating" and "sympathetic", and I kind of hope nobody else ever does.

I'll spend some time in the future explaining to younger people just how big of a deal he was. The only artists to have their first five full-length albums debut at #1 on the Billboard charts are Drake, Justin Beiber, Beyonce, and the first one to ever do it, DMX (Kanye and Eminem debuted at #2). Wrap your head around that one. Explain to your children how this man was able to cross over to that incredible extent, if you can. Anyways I truly hope he's at peace.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I'll spend some time in the future explaining to younger people just how big of a deal he was.

I don't know if there has been a rapper with a higher peak.  Seriously, DMX was the biggest star in hip-hop for about 3 years, and it was by a pretty big margin.  Jay-z is a massive star, but when they went on tour together, DMX was the headliner.  

• Like 1

I am sad that DMX is gone, but I hope he finally evaded the demons that haunted him.  Few MCs can pull off spiritually woke and emotionally raw, but DMX was somehow able to manage his internal contradiction.  

The Ruff Ryders may be my second or third favorite hip hop set of all time.

After Tupac died, we needed someone grimy and lyrically gifted to get us through and DMX stepped up.  RIP

Edited by J.T.

• 3 weeks later...