DVDVR Message Board

The Cricket Thread, Mark 2

SirFozzie

On 9/17/2019 at 5:37 PM, SirFozzie said:

The Sun decides to drag up 30 year old news about a member of Ben Stokes family, and makes it front page news.

The Sun should be fired into the sun, but I don't want to pollute the celestial body.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49726913

Horrible "paper". The Sun is getting a deserved kicking for these actions. Fuck the Sun.

Have you heard about Kyle Abbott, @SirFozzie? Kyle Abbott finished with match figures of 17-86 as Hampshire beat Somerset. First innings 9-40 and 8-46 in the second. Those figures are the best by any Hampshire bowler and the fourth best in the history of the County Championship.

Edited by The Natural

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

It'd be kinda fitting after the World Cup, if the 5th T20 between England and New Zealand was rained out, to leave the series, you guessed it, tied ?

Game tied and went to a super over! England win the T20 Series 3-2. New Zealand must hate it going down twice to England, here and in the World Cup this year.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Warner has bounced back after the Ashes pretty well, an near-Australia record 335 not out (beating two Australian legends, Don Bradman  and Mark Taylor), When combined with his t20 scores and his performance in the first test, he's AVERAGING 388 runs per time he's lost his wicket this Aussie summer.

Three words, folks. In Freaking Sane.

• Thanks 1

Sad breaking news, Bob Willis has passed away at the age of 70. Willis will be best remembered for his crucial part in the 1981 Ashes Headingley Test match in Leeds, 8-43. He took 325 Test wickets (fourth highest in England's all time list after Anderson, Board, Botham). Willis was also a no nonsense pundit calling it as he saw it. R.I.P. Thoughts go out to Bob Willis' family and friends.

Edited by The Natural

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

The end to the Test Match between South Africa and England today make the greatest argument possible to keep the five day test.

This. The ultimate form of the game should remain the five day test.

• 2 months later...

Finished watching The Test on Amazon.

Mixed feelings.

I thought the early episodes covering Langer's appointment were really impressive - his capacity to come in and instill cultural change, obtain buy-in from such a huge group of young men who had, until now, lived in an environment preaching the complete opposite values, and do it all on the run when so many wanted them to fail at it.

And then as the program continued, the losses came thick and fast, you realize that the changes instilled were probably more to do with large amounts of money spent by Cricket Australia on getting cultural change experts from the corporate world to do it all in the background, and in reality, Langer was a fairly ordinary coach that got by on being liked by his players and his credentials as a player, and not much else.

Thought Aaron Finch came off poorly and sympathetic - a bit of a dinosaur in how simplistic his approach was to the game, but also respected him allowing anything to go to final cut, and how much he was genuinely struggling with that scrutiny.
The Khawaja stuff was really fascinating. Feel like it was the tip of the iceberg for the animosity between him and the coaching set-up, and never really explores him being unfairly dumped ahead of Harris during the Ashes.

Lyon tearing up giving Travis Head his baggy green was nice to watch, but then coming off as a pretty shit bloke in other aspects. "Kohli has Australian levels of competitiveness" was just such a wanker thing to say. And who visits Gallipoli wearing a camouflage coloured snapback?

Warner comes off as an absolute cocksmoker in every possible bit of footage, and whilst I'm sure it's intentional of the directors of the doco to facilitate this, I doubt it wouldn't have been hard to do. From his speech to the dressing room upon his return, showing no remorse or anything learnt from what he'd done and being met with blokes largely looking disinterested or at their phone, to Smith opening up about how he'd struggled with it and getting a much better response instead. Even that last shot of the two Ashes sides having a beer, and everyone getting on, whilst Warner looks a non-participant in a conversation amongst Stokes, Pattinson and Marsh. I enjoyed Ponting calling him out during the World Cup too.

I wish they'd spent a bit more time on the selection committee meetings. What little they showed ahead of the India series was super tantalizing but gave little away after that.

Felt bad for Sridiharan Sririam - came off as a total outsider in the doco. His three contributions to the doco - giving a speech in the first test in the UAE being met with total silence and a patronizing "Yeah totally right, would love to be in our shoes not their's mate" from Langer. Being held down by one player while another smears chocolate cake in his face on his birthday, and then getting involved in the after match celebration after they retained the Ashes, as he was needed to play Kumar Dharmasena. Felt really offputting.

The right suspects are viewed in a more positive light than what they walked in as, and as such, you can probably view it as a success from that perspective. I hope there's a follow up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dang, great finish by England to the second test. (they had lost a day of play to the weather, so it got down to the final session before england won by about 100 runs).

That's what I like about a five day test, it has a buffer built in to encourage a result. If they tried a four day going forward, there better be something in there that says "Any time that is missed during the test will be made up on a reserve day"

• Like 1