DVDVR Message Board

The Cricket Thread, Mark 2

SirFozzie

I find that the recent crop of ex-players who are coming through into punditry spots have grown up in an era of total sporting professionalism that makes them boring as hell; compared to even the players active in the 90's; there are still people with some charisma, but I think that total sporting professionalism grinds out a lot of the characters.

I will say that so far this summer, Alastair Cook is a lot more relaxed and a lot funnier.

EDIT: TMS has got Michael Vaughn and Jeremy Coney popping in and out as summarisers for this test series and quite frankly, no-one needs to listen to those two idiots, either.

Edited by DangerMark
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DangerMark said:

I find that the recent crop of ex-players who are coming through into punditry spots have grown up in an era of total sporting professionalism that makes them boring as hell; compared to even the players active in the 90's; there are still people with some charisma, but I think that total sporting professionalism grinds out a lot of the characters.

I will say that so far this summer, Alastair Cook is a lot more relaxed and a lot funnier.

EDIT: TMS has got Michael Vaughn and Jeremy Coney popping in and out as summarisers for this test series and quite frankly, no-one needs to listen to those two idiots, either.

Yeah when those names on TMS go on, I turn off.

5 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Pietersen's done the last couple of Australian summers on commentary and he's been absolutely woeful.

Dumb insecure alpha type who thinks he's intelligent/insightful, all he's saying is tantamount to "just fucking whack it" every time. 

This. Kevin Pietersen is dreadful.

Edited by The Natural

14 hours ago, DangerMark said:

There's definitely a correlation between the journeymen players who had to work to make it vs the stars who get a gig on name alone.

The exception to that rule would be Ponting, who is as close to Tony Romo as expert comments go across any sport.

Dirk Nannes is pretty good when given the right partner (not Ian Chappell). Brett Geeves is as good as anyone in the print media, Ed Cowan very good also. Ben Dunk begrudgingly decent too, but after his refusal to take a knee during the last BBL I don't want to hear from him.

Brad Hodge scares me that he may drown in his own drool finishing a sentence. 

The only Aussie commentators I'm actually familiar with are the Rugby League ones, but I will say this: Ruan Sims is absolutely up there with Tony Romo; and even her meathead brother Ashton is pretty funny; although everything I've heard about him from his time over here in Warrington suggests that he's a good bloke.

Back to the cricket, I had the Australia vs. India series on the radio over-night whenever that was, and I took a little bit of satisfaction at the guy who was dismissing the Indian tail's ability to bat at the Gabba while they were chasing in the fourth innings. It was very early and I can't remember who it was though.

I hear this Joe Root guy is pretty good at the whole Cricket thing. Between the Pope's second test century and a middling T20 cameo from Ben Stokes, England are back in the game, might even get a lead. 

Incidentally, Jeremy Coney was advancing a wheeze where England declared at over a hundred runs down and went for the win. That thinking us is far too advanced for me. 

EDIT: Stuck the radio on to enjoy James Anderson and Jack Leach steal a few runs at the tail, and Coney just told the biggest lie I've heard in a while: "Here's Michael (Vaughn) to talk some sense." England 539-9, trying to sneak a small lead. 

Edited by DangerMark
  • Like 1

So, the England One Day Team are playing a series against minnows Netherlands while the Test series is going on, and even with England's B-team, it doesn't look good for the Dutch. If you take the old saw about doubling a team's score after 30 overs as valid, England could put up 400 easily, as they are currently 208 for 1 after 28 overs.

Edit:400-2 (with more than six overs left!

The Guardian had a great analogy for this innings:

This is absolute carnage. It’s the cricket version of the last half hour of The Blues Brothers. 

Edit 2: CricInfo with the unexpected "Did they just say that????" Description of one blast.

Malan donkey punches six more! Floated up in the slot and he leans back, creams it over the sightscreen for the umpteenth time today

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1

Rather than edit my post, yet again, this is how crazy the England innings have been:

edit: They have now shifted into full-fledged "Brian Lara Cricket" cheat-code mode. SIX! FOUR! SIX! SIX! SIX! FOUR! SIX! Livingston on 33 runs from just SEVEN balls. This is fucking nuts. 

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

WTF?!

After that extraordinary Henry Nicholls dismissal here is what the MMC Laws of Cricket has to say - law 33.2.2.3 to be precise - which states that a catch will be fair if:

"A fielder catches the ball after it has touched the wicket, an umpire, another fielder, a runner or the other batter."