DVDVR Message Board

The Cricket Thread, Mark 2

SirFozzie

On 11/16/2021 at 8:03 PM, odessasteps said:

That committee hearing was quite the hard listen. 

Really was. Yorkshire County Cricket Club, my county is in such a state. So badly handled with abhorrent behaviour. Racism sucks.

Edited by The Natural

I thought we agreed that we were blaming Lancashire for Vaughn.

Seriously, I think he'd have been better off if he hadn't been vociferously denying it in the Telegraph. "I don't remember saying it, if I did I clearly didn't think much of it at the time, but now I see I should have and I apologise and will do better;" might have saved his job, but not everyone is smart enough to have me ghost writing their columns.

Having said that, my dream Ashes TMS Team wouldn't have had him anywhere near a microphone anyway. Too abrasive, not interesting or funny enough. My commentary rotation would Jonathan Agnew, Isa Guha, Aatif Nawaz, and Henry Moeran on main commentary with Phil Tuffnel, Izzy Westbury, Alex Hartley and the inevitable token Aussie on as summarisers.

BT Sport says it will not use Fox Sports commentary with Michael Vaughan during the Ashes in Australia as it "would not be editorially appropriate".

The ex-England captain will not be part of the BBC's coverage of the series but the organisation says it "expects to work" with him in the future.

Vaughan was named in the Yorkshire report by ex-team-mate Azeem Rafiq, who alleged he made a racially insensitive remark to a group of Asian players.

He has repeatedly denied the claim.

Vaughan said he has had to delay his trip to Australia until next week "because of a positive Covid test, which is frustrating".

BT Sport holds the UK TV rights for the series, which is scheduled to start on 8 December in Brisbane, and was reviewing plans to use Fox Sports.

"As a result of Covid and travel restrictions BT Sport had made the decision to take our commentary feed from the Australian host broadcaster," said a BT Sport statement.

BT Sport said the recent report into the Yorkshire racism scandal was "extremely disappointing" and a "concern for all".

It added: "Given these recent events and the controversy with the situation we have taken the decision that including Michael Vaughan within our Ashes coverage would not be editorially appropriate or fit with BT Sport's values.

"We are still finalising plans but we are assessing the option of taking a hybrid approach, using Fox commentary where possible with the aim of putting our own commentary team in place if necessary."

Meanwhile, the BBC says Vaughan "remains on contract" with the organisation.

"We're in regular contact with Michael and have had positive conversations with him in recent days," said a BBC statement.

Vaughan captained England in Tests between 2003 and 2008. He played his entire domestic career at Yorkshire - between 1993 and 2009 - before becoming a summariser on BBC Test Match Special in 2009.

In a recent wide-ranging interview with the BBC on Saturday, he continued to deny the claim and stressed he never made racist comments while at Yorkshire, although he admitted regret at some tweets he had sent in 2010 and 2017.

He also said he was "sorry for all the hurt" Rafiq had gone through during the Yorkshire racism scandal.

Rafiq alleged Vaughan said "too many of you lot, we need to do something about it" to him and three other Asian players during a County Championship match for Yorkshire in 2009.

Rafiq's account was supported by former Pakistan bowler Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and England leg-spinner Adil Rashid, who both said they heard the comment.

The fourth player in the group - bowler Ajmal Shahzad - previously told the Daily Mail he had no recollection of the event and "the senior guys were really good to me".

"Our contributors are required to talk about relevant issues, so Michael's involvement in a story of such significance means it's not possible for him to be part of our Ashes coverage or wider cricket coverage at the moment," said the BBC.

"We're pleased with how our conversations are going and expect to work with Michael again in the future. He remains on contract to the BBC."

1 hour ago, Cleavy said:

Patel for NZ just took all 10 wickets in an innings vs India.  only the 3rd player in Test history to do it.

FFv0f9XVgAMI2VN?format=jpg&name=900x900

Ajaz Patel took all ten wickets as New Zealand bowled India out for 325 in the second Test. Patel joins England's Jim Laker (1956) and India's Anil Kumble (1999) in picking up 10 wickets in an innings. What an achievement!

Edited by The Natural

In the last 100 years it is England's sixth worst score when batting first in an opening game of a series. That is all Test cricket, not just the Ashes.

It is their worst start to an Ashes when they have batted first since 1958-59, when they were bowled out for 134 at Brisbane.

Australia close the second day nearly two hundred up with three wickets left and the only positive that the BBC can find is that the fast bowlers did well.

Jack Leach, a man with much to recommend him, got one wicket for about 8 runs per over; and was out performed in the spin bowling department by Joe Root. Picking Leach over Broad looks increasingly like a bad case of outsmarting themselves.

Also, I love Rory Burns' hair but ye gods he's having a nightmare.

• Like 1