DVDVR Message Board

The Cricket Thread, Mark 2

SirFozzie

46 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Did someone want to let the West Indies know that their participation in the T20 World Cup had begun a hour or so ago?

37-5. Eessssh.

Make that West Indies 55-10 all out with 5.4 overs left. Defending T20 World Cup Champions torn apart by England.

Apparently no one told the Indian bowlers that the T20 World Cup game against Pakistan was going on (and that oh, a billion or so Indians were going to watch), usually when you hear someone won by ten wickets in a T20, you expect something like what happened with the WIndies.. instead 150+ chased down without a wicket lost.

Well no, because England lost four wickets chasing down that target; Mohammed Rizwan tried to launch the third ball into the Persian Gulf (he actually got one into the second tier later on in the match,) and didn't look back from there. Not even Rishabh Pant knocking sixes with one hand could save India.

I made a comment earlier in the year about freewheeling wicketkeepers hitting it wherever and Rizwan is absolutely part of that. Mean Johnny Bairstow is not.

All-rounder Ben Stokes has been added to the England squad for the 2021-22 Ashes Test series in Australia. Stokes took a break from cricket in July to rest his injured finger and prioritise his mental wellbeing. Big boost for England.

So, two new IPL franchises were announced for next year, at the price of 1.7 BILLION dollars. Holy shiznit.

https://frontofficesports.com/cvc-capital-mogul-buy-new-ipl-teams-for-combined-1-7b/

CVC Capital Partners and RPSG, a conglomerate owned by business mogul Sanjiv Goenka, have paid a combined $1.7 billion to win bids for two new Indian Premier League teams.

The cricket league is expanding from eight to 10 teams for the 2022 season.

India’s Board of Control for Cricket expected a combined bid of $1.3 billion.

CVC shelled out roughly $736 million for the Ahmedabad franchise.

RPSG paid about $964 million for the Lucknow team.

“We had bids from different parts of the world and from parties with diverse portfolios wanting to make a foray into the world of sports,” said IPL chairman Brijesh Patel. 

The bids included Manchester United and Tampa Bay Buccaneers owners Kevin and Edward Glazer, who offered less than $688 million for the Ahmedabad team. 

CVC has stakes in La Liga, United Rugby Championship, Six Nations Rugby, and the International Volleyball Federation.

RPSG owned the IPL’s now-defunct Rising Pune Supergiant franchise from 2016-17, replacing the Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals after their respective owners received two-year bans for participating in illegal betting. 

A new combined company that comprises Sony India and Zee Entertainment is reportedly bidding for IPL media rights. Star India purchased rights for $2.6 billion in a five-year deal in 2017. The new asking price is estimated to increase by 25%.

Edited by SirFozzie

Hmm, well.

No-one wants to hear my thoughts on race, so I will confine myself to two points. First, it is a dumb thing to not play international cricket over. Second, Temba Bavuma being SA's first Black permenant captain got me wondering about England in this regard, as far as I can tell, there are three people who may not be considered white who have captained England: Nasser Hussain was the regular captain for a few years at the turn of the century, Mark Butcher led them for one (1) test a few years later and Moeen Ali has captained England for one (1) T20 match.

Cricket, Bloody Hell.

England might actually be good at this T20 thing, ain't they?

Win Toss, strangle other team's attack, boom some shots, done and dusted.

They've won their three group stage games with 70, 35 and now 50 balls to spare. So, they haven't even needed at least a quarter of their allotted deliveries to win in any one game.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 6:24 PM, SirFozzie said:

Cricket, Bloody Hell.

England might actually be good at this T20 thing, ain't they?

Win Toss, strangle other team's attack, boom some shots, done and dusted.

They've won their three group stage games with 70, 35 and now 50 balls to spare. So, they haven't even needed at least a quarter of their allotted deliveries to win in any one game.

Commentators curse, England are currently 35-3 after 7 overs. Early days though.

On 11/3/2021 at 5:04 AM, The Natural said:

What a mess, racism at Yorkshire County Cricket Club, my home county and how badly handled its been:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59137092

Rafiq report timeline

2 September 2020: ESPN Cricinfo publishes an interview with Rafiq in which he claims "institutional racism" at Yorkshire County Cricket Club left him close to taking his own life.

3 September 2020: Yorkshire say they have launched a "formal investigation" into the claims made by Rafiq and chairman Roger Hutton says the club would be carrying out a "wider review" of their "policies and culture"

5 September 2020: Yorkshire ask an independent law firm to investigate racism allegations against the club by Rafiq.

13 November 2020: Rafiq says he hopes to bring about "meaningful change" after giving his first statement to the inquiry.

15 December 2020: Rafiq files a legal claim against Yorkshire "claiming direct discrimination and harassment on the grounds of race, as well as victimisation and detriment as a result of trying to address racism at the club".

2 February 2021: Yorkshire threaten a lifetime ban for anyone found to have made threats against Rafiq or his family and legal team after ESPN Cricinfo show them messages sent to Rafiq's legal firm.

17 June 2021: An employment tribunal case between Rafiq and his former club Yorkshire fails to find a resolution. The independent investigation into his racism allegations remains ongoing.

16 August 2021: Yorkshire receive the findings of an independent investigation into the racism allegations and, two days later, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) asks for a copy.

19 August 2021: Yorkshire, yet to release the findings of the report at this stage, admit Rafiq was "the victim of inappropriate behaviour" and offer him their "profound apologies".

Rafiq accuses Yorkshire of downplaying racism by calling him the victim of "inappropriate behaviour".

8 September 2021: MPs tell Yorkshire to publish the findings of the report "immediately".

10 September 2021: Yorkshire release the findings of the report, which says Rafiq was the "victim of racial harassment and bullying" and seven of the 43 allegations made by the player were upheld by an independent panel.

According to Hutton, the report said there was "insufficient evidence to conclude that Yorkshire County Cricket Club is institutionally racist".

Yorkshire released a summary of the panel's report and recommendations but said the full report could not be released for legal reasons "in relation to privacy law and defamation".

8 October 2021: Yorkshire miss a deadline to send the full report to Rafiq and his legal team after BBC Sport understands an employment judge ordered the club to release it in full by Friday, 8 October.

13 October 2021: Rafiq then receives a heavily redacted version, while the ECB says it is still awaiting the full report.

28 October 2021: Yorkshire says it carried out its own internal investigation after the findings in the report and concluded that "there is no conduct or action taken by any of its employees, players or executives that warrants disciplinary action".

2 November 2021: The Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee calls on Hutton to appear before it to answer questions about Yorkshire's handling of a report into Rafiq's allegations of racism.

Julian Knight MP, chair of the DCMS select committee, calls on the board of Yorkshire County Cricket Club to resign after a leaked report emerges apparently containing details of the investigation into the treatment of Rafiq.

A story published by ESPN says the report had concluded that a racially offensive term used towards Rafiq was regarded as "banter".

Knight makes his comments after UK Health Secretary Sajid Javid calls for "heads to roll" at Yorkshire and said that if the ECB did not take action "it's not fit for purpose". He further states in a Twitter post that the term allegedly used to describe Rafiq was "not banter".

3 November 2021: The date of the DCMS hearing is scheduled for 16 November and Rafiq is called to give evidence in person, along with senior Yorkshire officials.

Several sponsors, including primary sponsor Emerald Publishing and Yorkshire Tea, end their partnerships with Yorkshire County Cricket Club.

Ballance releases a lengthy statement expressing regret for using a racial slur against former Yorkshire team-mate Rafiq.

Big breaking news:

Yorkshire have been suspended from hosting England matches as the fallout from the club's reaction to an investigation into racism allegations made by former player Azeem Rafiq continues.

The investigation found former spinner Rafiq had been a victim of "racial harassment and bullying" - but the club said it would take no action.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) says the ban will last until the club has "clearly demonstrated that it can meet the standards expected".

Yorkshire's Gary Ballance, who has admitted using racist language towards ex-team-mate Rafiq, has been suspended indefinitely from England selection.

Headingley is due to host a men's Test against New Zealand and a men's one-day international against South Africa in 2022.

The suspension on hosting matches includes all "major" matches, including The Hundred. Northern Superchargers played their home matches at Headingley in 2021.

Headingley is also scheduled to host an Ashes Test against Australia in 2023.

More to follow.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan says he was named in Yorkshire's Azeem Rafiq report but "totally denies any allegation of racism".

An investigation found Rafiq had been a victim of "racial harassment and bullying" while at the club.

Vaughan says the report states he told a group of Asian players, including Rafiq: "Too many of you lot, we need to do something about it."

But Vaughan says he "completely and categorically denies" saying that.

He said that the comments were alleged to have been made in 2009 while he was still a player at Yorkshire before a match against Nottinghamshire.

Writing in his Daily Telegraph column, the BBC pundit added: "This hit me very hard. It was like being struck over the head with a brick.

"I have been involved in cricket for 30 years and never once been accused of any remotely similar incident or disciplinary offence as a player or commentator.

"I have nothing to hide. The 'you lot' comment never happened. Anyone trying to recollect words said 10 years ago will be fallible but I am adamant those words were not used.

"If Rafiq believes something was said at the time to upset him then that is what he believes. It is difficult to comment on that except to say it hurts me hugely to think I potentially affected someone.

"I take it as the most serious allegation ever put in front of me and I will fight to the end to prove I am not that person."

Vaughan said he was asked to speak to the investigation in December 2020.

He said that during the summer he told BBC colleagues "that these allegations had been made against me" adding: "I felt uncomfortable that it could emerge and they would be asked some awkward questions."

In his Telegraph column he also includes previously unpublished extracts of the report.

Yorkshire's investigations began in 2020 after Rafiq claimed "institutional racism" at the club left him close to taking his own life.

After more than a year - and having been asked to do so by MPs - Yorkshire released the findings of an independent report in September which upheld seven of the 43 allegations made by Rafiq.

But the club said no players, coaches or executives would face disciplinary action following the club's own investigation into the report's findings.

The fallout from Yorkshire's response to the racism report intensified on Monday when ESPN Cricinfo reported a racist term about Rafiq's Pakistani heritage was regularly used towards him, but the investigation concluded it was "friendly and good-natured banter".

On Thursday Yorkshire were suspended from hosting England matches by the England and Wales Cricket Board.

The ECB board says the ban will last until the club has "clearly demonstrated that it can meet the standards expected".

Kit suppliers Nike and several sponsors have cut ties with the club while a senior MP has called for the Yorkshire board to resign.

Edited by The Natural

I have a feeling that Yorkshire CCC would have done well to lead their response with all the positive things that they need to do to make a more inclusive culture in their club and not "no punishment for anyone." I'm reasonably sympathetic to the argument that there might not be any one person who has said anything bad enough to lose a job, but clearly their culture as a whole is not where it needs to be. I'm going to use the example of Michael Vaughan: what he's supposed to have said is, taken on its own, relatively innocuous; especially compared to the stuff which has also been alleged. However, it does speak of a bunch of important white boys who don't know how the shit they say comes off to anyone else. Stuff something like that will not be solved by suspensions and firings, especially as a lot of the people involved will have moved on. 

I am upset to note that Gary Ballance has been suspended indefinitely from England duties, when his apology seemed to me to be comprehensive and heartfelt. He's been shown how hurtful the stuff he was was saying was, and taken it on board. It seems like he makes a good point of instruction in this whole sorry affair. 

Rana Naved-ul-Hasan has corroborated Azeem Rafiq's claim that Michael Vaughan made a racist comment to a group of Asian players - a claim which Vaughan "totally denies".

Vaughan is alleged to have told a group of Asian players, including Rafiq and Naved: "Too many of you lot, we need to do something about it."

Ex-Pakistan bowler Naved told ESPN he also heard the alleged comment.

Writing in his Daily Telegraph column on Thursday, the BBC pundit said he "completely and categorically denies" saying that.

On Friday, he told the Press Association: "I've done my piece last night and I stand by what I say. I know that in my life, I've never said anything racist to anybody. So, that's what I stand by."

Vaughan said that the comments were alleged to have been made in 2009 while he was still a player at Yorkshire before a match against Nottinghamshire.

In September 2020, Naved became the second player to allege racism at Yorkshire, saying "systematic taunting" occurred at the club.

Naved played for Yorkshire in 2008 and 2009, as well as representing Sussex and Derbyshire.

Vaughan added: "This hit me very hard. It was like being struck over the head with a brick.

"I have been involved in cricket for 30 years and never once been accused of any remotely similar incident or disciplinary offence as a player or commentator.

"I have nothing to hide. The 'you lot' comment never happened. Anyone trying to recollect words said 10 years ago will be fallible but I am adamant those words were not used.

"If Rafiq believes something was said at the time to upset him then that is what he believes. It is difficult to comment on that except to say it hurts me hugely to think I potentially affected someone.

"I take it as the most serious allegation ever put in front of me and I will fight to the end to prove I am not that person."

Vaughan said he was asked to speak to the investigation in December 2020.

He said that during the summer he told BBC colleagues "that these allegations had been made against me", adding: "I felt uncomfortable that it could emerge and they would be asked some awkward questions."

In his Telegraph column he also includes previously unpublished extracts of the report.

Yorkshire's investigations began in 2020 after their former player Rafiq claimed "institutional racism" at the club left him close to taking his own life.

After more than a year - and having been asked to do so by MPs - Yorkshire released the findings of an independent report in September which upheld seven of the 43 allegations made by Rafiq.

But the club said no players, coaches or executives would face disciplinary action following the club's own investigation into the report's findings.

The fallout from Yorkshire's response to the racism report intensified on Monday when ESPN Cricinfo reported a racist term about Rafiq's Pakistani heritage was regularly used towards him, but the investigation concluded it was "friendly and good-natured banter".

On Thursday Yorkshire were suspended from hosting England matches by the England and Wales Cricket Board.

The ECB board says the ban will last until the club has "clearly demonstrated that it can meet the standards expected".

Yorkshire chairman Roger Hutton then resigned on Friday.

Kit suppliers Nike and several sponsors have cut ties with the club.

Breaking news on Michael Vaughan:

Former England captain Michael Vaughan will not appear on his BBC Radio 5 Live show on Monday after it was claimed he made a racist comment to a group of Asian players.

Vaughan was named in Yorkshire's report into Azeem Rafiq's claims of racism during his time at the club.

He "completely and categorically denies" the claims.

A BBC spokesperson said the organisation "remains in discussions with Michael and his team".

Writing in the Telegraph on Thursday, Vaughan said the report stated he told a group of Asian players, including Rafiq: "Too many of you lot, we need to do something about it."

Rafiq's complaint has been supported by former Yorkshire player Rana Naved-ul-Hassan, who told ESPN Cricinfo he heard the alleged comment.

"The BBC takes any allegations of racism extremely seriously," a BBC spokesperson said.

"We have made the editorial decision that Michael won't appear as a presenter on 5 Live's Tuffers and Vaughan Show on Monday.

"The show focuses on topical discussion around current cricketing matters and given his personal involvement, we need to ensure we maintain the impartiality of the programme."

Vaughan has said he "totally denies any allegation of racism".

More to follow.

Wish someone had given a slightly modified speech before Scotland-India, Braveheart style.

"They may take our land, but they'll never take.. OUR WICKETS!"

Instead they were bowled out for a paltry 85, and India only needed just a bit over six overs to get there. So now, it's a three way dance for the final spot in the semifinals, but the key matchup is New Zealand vs Afghanistan, if New Zealand win, they're in, if not, India is in. (Afghanistan can win with a big enough swing, but.. um.. highly unlikely. In a three-way dance, they're just there to eat the pinfall)

So, South Africa have to beat England by 61 runs to pip the Aussies to the 2nd semifinal spot in the group. Going to be.. difficult.

edit: England have three targets. 90 or so to not fall out of the top two, 130 or so to knock South Africa out (and put australia in the semis), and 190 to win the game. They're apparently going to give all three a go.

edit: They gave all three a go, but fall short of the third. England, Australia, Pakistan and one of India/New Zealand/Afghanistan

Edited by SirFozzie