DVDVR Message Board

The Cricket Thread, Mark 2

SirFozzie

Rishabh Pant is just in Fuck You mode. He drove the first ball of the new ball back down to long off; a little later he put a reverse sweep to the boundary on Jimmy Anderson. As I'm typing this with Pant on 94, he smashed a six for the century.

India were 80-4 earlier, Kohli with his second duck of the series, England thinking that maybe they could sneak into the turn ahead, but here comes Pant.

EDIT: then he smashes it down Joe Root's throat at mid-wicket. Sat down for 101; 259-7 when they finally got rid of him.

Edited by DangerMark

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

_118833957_testcapsforengland.png

James Anderson will move on to 162 Tests for England today. That's longevity.

More stats:

The Burnley-born bowler is fourth on the list of all-time wicket-takers in Test cricket with 616 dismissals at an average of 26.58.

He has taken more wickets than any other seamer in this history of Test cricket, and needs four more to overtake former India spinner Anil Kumble in third place.

Australia leg-spinner Shane Warne (708) is in second place with Sri Lanka's Muttiah Muralitharan topping the list with 800 wickets to his name.

Lancashire's Anderson is also six dismissals away from reaching 1000 first-class wickets.

I don't understand why they can't get lights that illuminate the pitch to a sufficient level in the twenty first century. I understand why they don't do it at Galle in Sri Lanka but no part of Southampton is a World Heritage Anything. 

Meanwhile, the Women's Test went to a four day draw. Let them play five, you cowards. I would seriously consider Heather Knight and Tammy Beaumont for the Other England upper order over some of those clowns. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 7:37 AM, SirFozzie said:

Meanwhile, the World Test Championship is a damp squib.

shoulda been an untimed test.

Kohli, Pujara and Rahane going for about twenty each has set up an exciting finish. India go into lunch on the last day not quite a hundred ahead, five wickets down, but with Ravi Jadeja and Rishabh Pant out there making it exciting. Two near run outs and an LBW shout already. If these guys make a hundred between them, India might survive, but this guy Kyle Jamieson is built like Thor and has been bowling like it too. 

E4mGAQtXMAEsFuO?format=jpg&name=small

New Zealand win inaugural ICC World Test Championship. Happy for them particularly after losing the ICC Cricket World Cup in the manner they did vs. England in 2019. What a match that was, a tie requiring a Super Over.

Edited by The Natural

I'm a little sad that my favourite trend in Test Cricket was not rewarded, free-wheeling wicketkeepers hitting it anywhere they damn well please (cf. Pant, Rishabh) but hey, at least Jos Buttler was rewarded by a win against Sri Lanka last night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, The Natural said:

England vs. India in the first day of the first Test. England win the toss and bat. England go from 138-3 to 166-9. Captain Joe Root falls for 64. Four batsmen go for ducks. An embarrassing collapse.

183 all out. With the exception of Joe Root, shower of shite.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc and Lyon will tear England a new one.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta