DVDVR Message Board

The Cricket Thread, Mark 2

SirFozzie

I tell you what, after Pope went, it didn't feel like England were speed running owt in that second innings. Put me in the "declare, you cowards" camp, though. 

420 would be the record test run chase, and after that, I'm kind of hoping India pull it off, or at least bat out the draw. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

After India's last fourth innings at the Gabba, being at home, I'm not sure what I expected here, but I didn't expect them to be bowled out within 45 overs today.

Neither did I.

Best catch in India's first innings, Root or Stokes? Leaning towards Root. Stokes is an amazing catcher. Remember Stokes running backward toward the boundary rope taking a one arm catch in the opening game of the 2019 Cricket World Cup vs. South Africa. Catch of the tournament was sewn up already. It's one of the best cricket catches ever taken.

21.2 overs

WICKET

Kohli b Moeen 0 (Ind 86-3)

CHENNAI FALLS SILENT.

Moeen Ali has bowled Virat Kohli with a delivery that has turned square. Incredible moment.

Kohli stands there and can't believe what has happened. He thinks Foakes must have taken the bails off with his gloves. For some reason the decision is reviewed but it's bowled.

Damn, if Warne's was the ball of the century, Ali's dismissal of Kohli (for a duck!!!!) has to be the ball of the decade and a half.

Wow, Moeen has knocked over Kohli for a duck. The India captain hangs around. He can't believe what has just happened! Moeen tosses it up, finds drift outside off, then it breaks back in so very sharply to hit the top of off. This offbreak dips sharply as well, creating distance between the bat and the pitch of the ball, making Kohli's attempt to drive through the covers look a whole lot worse. Moeen just burst through Kohli's defences and silenced Chepauk

There were three really swish catches taken there, so it wasn't all England being terrible. Unless you're talking about all the former England captains carping about the pitch as the current team collapse, that kind of nonsense I can do without.

Although, having said that, watching Rohit Sharma and Shubman Gill and ignore all that stuff about patience and building an innings and launching every remotely bad ball to the seats. India are on 35 already.

This is the balance of power of world cricket in a nutshell.

India allowed to produce pitches that turn square after 10 overs on day 1 of a test match, yet threaten to cancel tours when conditions aren't docile AF elsewhere.

New Zealand pitches are as green as anywhere in the world. Hardly a blade of grass when India played. Completely different to when Pakistan/WI played there.

Wickets that were bouncy AF for Australia/New Zealand last year (see: Wagner's spells to Wade) did absolutely nothing this year.

• Like 1

Axar Patel made Crawley and Bairstow look silly.

And @The Natural, if you want to claim credit for Root, you've also got to take the blame for Michael Vaughn.

EDIT: On closer inspection, Vaughn was born in Eccles put played for Yorkshire, Root is from Sheffield. Partial Demerit there, I think.

Edited by DangerMark
  • Like 1

Yeah, I watched it, and I don't know how it happened. Joe Root took five. That's a damning indictment of someone, I'm not sure if it's the Big Brain who left Dom Bess in the hotel, or the Big Brain who decided to play on the Sand Pit pitch. 

Axar Patel's first over in the second innings clowned Zack Crawley, and then made Johnny Bairstow look like a prat twice. Absolutely incredible stuff.