DVDVR Message Board

The Cricket Thread, Mark 2

SirFozzie

21 hours ago, DangerMark said:

India bat out the fifth day in Sydney to cling on to an improbable draw despite, as my esteemed colleague points out, the best efforts of Steve Smith. 

Oh well, at least Tim Paine's team likes him. Even if the umpires don't. 

Cheers, @DangerMark. Enjoy the following:

ErbnYTTVkAEy8OB?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

Turns out that the reason Tim Paine's teammates like him is because he can come out and, with a straight face, say that Steve Smith was just being Steve Smith and not deliberately scuffing up the pitch in the fourth innings of a match he'd already batted twice in. Come on, man. To be fair to our Australian members, Smith had scored two hundred runs in this test and this is nowhere near the level of sticking sandpaper down his pants.

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Steve Smith is a cheating knobend who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a cricket field ever again. It is a privilege and an honour to represent your country and he has trashed that idea TWICE. 

25 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Steve Smith is a cheating knobend who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a cricket field ever again. It is a privilege and an honour to represent your country and he has trashed that idea TWICE. 

I'd have given lifetime bans. All cheating is bad but using sandpaper was one of the worst I've ever seen.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
1 minute ago, The Natural said:

I'd have given lifetime bans. All cheating is bad but using sandpaper was one of the worst I've ever seen.

Agreed. He needs to be knocked off his perch and given a small dose of reality. Then he can stay out of the way counting his millions and someone deserving can take his place. 

He's this generation's Hansie Cronje only it's more glaring since he's a GOAT level talent.

In fairness, Smith had as much to do with the sandpaper incident as 8 other guys in that dressing room who knew what Warner was putting Bancroft up to, and turned a blind eye to it, he just happened to be captain.

I'm happy to pile on David Warner as much as anyone, reprehensible human being and agree he should have had a life ban.

Smith served an appropriate penalty for his negligence as a leader. Huge difference.

• Like 2

What you say sounds reasonable, but if you think that it's going to stop us piling on any Australian cricketer given half a chance, you are mistaken. Sorry, but I don't make the rules. 

I actually like Australia and the Australians I've met, but I would quite happily root against any Australian national side in any sport you would care to name against any other country on the planet. Except England (with the notable exception of Cricket. England Cricket selects Welsh players. I would rather a terrible Wales team than to be stuck pulling for England, but this is the world we find ourselves in.) 

Speaking of England, they bowled Sri Lanka out for 135. Wow.

Edited by DangerMark
  • Like 1

As an Australian, I hate most of our  national side. I grew up dreaming of using my Dads British passport to secure a late Ashes call up, not only because it was believable but achievable when you saw who got picked up (I own a 400% strike rate against Darren Pattinson. 0.2-0-8-0)

Warner. Fuckwit.

Pucovski. Really like him but can't see him being a regular.

Labuschagne. Really like him too. Glad he got the chance he should have got a year earlier. 

Smith. Not his biggest fan, especially as a captain. But his stats don't lie. Amazingly impressive.

Wade. Not far from Warner estimations.

Green. Too early to tell. Could be anything.

Paine. Respect him for what he's able to have achieved as captain. Honest cricketer. Last test wasn't his finest moment.

Cummins - can't say a bad word about him.

Starc. I think I'd like him a lot less if Warne didn't dislike him and he didnt clapped back so much. Wildly inconsistent. 

Lyon - underrated fuckwit. Not quite Warner class but closer than people give credit for. Also highly overrated. Ashwin shits on him. 

Hazlewood - dont know I dont like him but I'm inclined to say I dont.

Fair improvement from the days of Hussey/Gilchrist and 9 cumstains

• Like 1

I'd argue that's the biggest upset in the history of the game.

India with 10 of their first choice team out beat Australia at a venue they haven't lost at for over 30 years by chasing down a target 80 runs higher than any successful 4th innings chase ever recorded at the venue.

Very reminiscent of Australia beating the West Indies in 94 over there. Amazing stuff. They played unbelievable cricket. For a team so roundly disliked and disrespected here, and I'm pretty sure the majority of it is a race thing, haven't heard a bad word about them.

....also kicking myself I bet on them to win at the start of the day at $17 and cashed it out for a minuscule profit when Agarwal went out.

• Like 1

This test has been my go-to thing to listen to when I wake up in the middle of the night to try and go back to sleep. Not the smartest thing this morning with India only three wickets down at tea. Woke up again in time for the last ten or so overs and the ex-player in the commentary box (maybe Stuart Clark?) trying to persuade himself that the Aussies still had a chance when Thakur went down "and these last three, they can't bat!" To be fair, India was batting like they agreed with him, trying to send it to the boundary instead of playing remotely sensibly.

Oh my goodness that was something fun to wake up to. England vs. India is going to be some good stuff.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 12:19 PM, The Natural said:

I was actually listening to that as it happened. Second best bit of TMS commentary in the last year or so, just behind someone explaining to Carlos Brathwaite what the Shipping Forecast was, then letting him read some of it out on air.

https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/1287719789339848705

Meanwhile, in Galle, Sri Lanka struggled to score and England struggled to take wickets. The Hosts finish the first day 229-4.

Edited by DangerMark
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fellow cricket fans. History today as Channel 4 is showing Test Cricket for the first time since the legendary Ashes of 2005 winning the rights for England's tour of India. About damn time.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Fellow cricket fans. History today as Channel 4 is showing Test Cricket for the first time since the legendary Ashes of 2005 winning the rights for England's tour of India. About damn time.

What a time to be alive. Drat that infernal Sky, keeping Test Cricket away from me so long.

• Like 1

It did not. Day Three was even less good again. It's only now Rishabh Pant has come out to bat that even something like "avoiding the follow on" is looking possible for India. At the time of writing, India are 192-4, having been 73-4, with the openers and even Kohli gone. England were finally bowled out for 578 in their first innings.

EDIT: And there goes Pujara, pulled one off Ollie Pope's shoulder, caught by Rory Burns.

Edited by DangerMark
  • Like 1