DVDVR Message Board

The Cricket Thread, Mark 2

SirFozzie

Hang on, there's a World Test Championship? Jeez, that hardly seems worth it when only twelve countries even play tests. Any fewer and they might as well do the American thing and name the winners of a domestic competition "world champions." 

9 hours ago, DangerMark said:

What the hell kind of idiot wants a four day test? 

5 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Idiotic Idiots.

Otherwise known as most of the cricket boards in the world, apparently.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28394321/icc-consider-mandatory-four-day-tests

This and this.

Basically, they see two benefits to moving to a four day test schedule. 

A) It'll be like golf. Every Thursday through Sunday, you can catch a golf match. They want it to be every Thursday through Sunday, you can catch a test cricket match.

B) Getting rid of that fifth day means that they can turn those extra "cricket-playing" days into more T20 or One-Day games (which probably make them as much money for one event as a whole test does)

Eww, golf.

I thought cricket was supposed to be for people too rich to bother with making money and for gifted amateur thieves, not bureaucratic administratiors squeezing every possible penny out of their sport and their players. 

(don't worry, I know that the true purpose of Cricket is to give the British a sport that they can occasionally beat the Aussies at in heroic fashion.) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good job they went on to win, otherwise he would have looked a Right Mug.

As someone with reasonably long hair and pierced ears, I usually like to see people succeed in sports with either of these going for them, but Adam Zampa is a Shane Warne cosplayer, and I cannot condone that; but then I'm biased and I think that Conclusive Results are only a good thing for Cricket when Australia Lose.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

India collapsed to 36 all out - their lowest total in Test cricket - as Australia won the first Test in Adelaide by eight wickets.

Josh Hazlewood took 5-8 and Pat Cummins 4-21, with number 11 Mohammad Shami retiring hurt after a blow to the arm.

It is the lowest Test total since New Zealand were bowled out for 26 in 1955.

Credit: bbc.co.uk

Holy shit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...