DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

They never said why Tyson was there in the first place (that I heard) and crammed a month of Pinnacle/Inner Circle storyline progress into one show again.

I got what I expected out of the show overall but also wasn't expecting anything sensational.

Why didn't anyone ever ask "where's Cody?"

QT promo actually great. Execution of the Bucks turn pitiful. Tay/Britt should be heads of the division. Luchasaurus often looks like they got a random dude off the street, stuffed a mask on him then shoved him in the ring.

Next week looks good. Packed with young, diverse, high flying, athletic & attractive talent. Good look.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

Half the posts in this thread about Hook makes me happy. All Hook all day. All Hook Wrestling. Omega fears Hook. Darby is dodging Hook. If I capitalize Hook enough will my phone do it for me automatically in time? 

Edit: ah yeah, not gonna miss out on an opportunity to shit on luchasaurus. Fuck that guy. They tried hard to protect him but he just stinks. He's not going to get better. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

They never said why Tyson was there in the first place (that I heard) and crammed a month of Pinnacle/Inner Circle storyline progress into one show again.

Mike was there to meet Urban Meyer?

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Mike was there to meet Urban Meyer?

"Thso I was meeting the Jaguars coath in the thadium next door and heard a fight goin' on!"

This week's show could well have set a record for fewest words said in promos before being interrupted. I think Christian was the only one who got out a full sentence!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Putting the main event schwerve aside (which felt like they were channeling into "Must have moment at the end of the show, even if it makes no logical sense", I liked the show.

Tay Conti and Bunny=Yes, more please.

JD Drake and Darby Allin=Yes, more please and twice as much/long. Darby's made for fighting from underneath, and Drake really is a hoss.

I actually get where Sting is going. For once, he's playing the mind games with Jake Roberts. What has Jake done his entire career? Been hugely hot in spots, then disappeared for a while, then jumps back into a top spot, and then disappeared for a while. Sting was saying "Jake, teach him to channel his anger", and "Jake, teach him to stay main-event hot", because, in character, Jake NEVER did those things. Sting is telling Archer "You are where you are because of the path you are following. Look at the man guiding you. Then decide if that's what you want to be"

The cool thing was everything had a purpose on the show. Everything furthered SOMETHING. While I think that they could have cut down the Pinnacle-Inner Circle stuff to one long segment, it's logical. I'm surprised that we didn't have the return of "worked comments that feel like shoot comments" with Jericho's comments on the Pinnacle (PAUL ROMA? OW.). But Jericho did a good job of building them up at the same time as he tore them down verbally. Lost art.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

One last thought about the Bucks: If that shit were happening on the other channel, we'd all rightly be bemoaning HBK's influence on today's generation. That was worse than Shawn getting weepy in the Taker-Hunter cell match. 

They absolutely need to stop. Hopefully this leaves this shit in the rear view but their hesitation doesn't leave me confident. 

The spray tan bead of sweat running down Matt's face made me laugh and was symbolic of how not good this was. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Are they gonna put the strap on Page the second they get a real crowd? Fine. Kenny's not chasing the IWGP with all that mess around it. 

I hope Chris Jericho's drunk on drinks, not on punches. But he was obviously frustrated by his botches enough to start yelling, and that worked out pretty good.

Maybe the most effective thing on the show was that QT package (?). I thought this was gonna be a low-card means of elevating Lee Johnson, but y'know... Ogogo kinda looks like a marketable guy, huh? Who knew.

JD Drake is good. If he keeps wrestling fat I'll happily promote him to great. I hate fat guy moonsaults but at least it's why he lost.

I think Allie is one of the most underrated talents in the biz and I'm glad to see she's back to being herself.

Main was well-worked but man, the Bucks' ceiling really is Reseda trios spotfests and nothing else. They are liabilities to any storyline they're in. Matt Jackson's best chops lie in mutton, not acting.

BTW gotta love ONE MMA getting an ideal lead-in and starting off with former UFC champion Eddie Alvarez losing by bullshit-ish DQ in like a minute. Jeez that's rough.

• Like 5

2nd half of Jericho promo was very good; 1st half was an illustration of a pretty steep charismatic decline. Paying the workers to sing his song as he comes out got pretty lame, pretty quick too. Probs should cut that out.

JD Drake doing fat guy agility spots made me dislike him so much in Evolve. That ending was super and I hope, if he's sticking around, that's their way of moving him away from that and more towards shitty Walter. 

Ogogo could be a big deal. Olympic medalist, good look, pretty good first promo. If he can avoid having to do up his shirt cuffs he'll be golden. 

@SirFozzie nice read of that sting promo. Interesting stuff. 

• Like 3

I saw three things off this tonight

1. Bear Country basically having what looked like a slop-ass competitive squash against Jungle Jack and fucking Luchasaurus. They lost so you can guess which side they were on. 

2. Mike Tyson failing to rip his shirt off again

3. The Bullet Club reforming

HOT TAKES MAN says that was crappy. I'll still parse through the rest though.

Just now, Jiji said:

JD Drake doing fat guy agility spots made me dislike him so much in Evolve. That ending was super and I hope, if he's sticking around, that's their way of moving him away from that and more towards shitty Walter. 

Ogogo could be a big deal. Olympic medalist, good look, pretty good first promo. If he can avoid having to do up his shirt cuffs he'll be golden. 

@SirFozzie nice read of that sting promo. Interesting stuff. 

Honestly, if I was booker-man, (and thank god I'm not, that leads to Archer backstage with Jake going.

Archer: "After I thought about what the Stinger said. I understand. If I want that spot, if I want that position, I gotta step out and PROVE it. Step out from the shadows of the past and.."

Jake: "So, Sting, you have an angry legend-destroyer fired up and what he's going to do to you.."

Archer: "You have it wrong, Jake. I have to step out of the shadow. YOUR shadow."

(archer then uses cinematic stuff to destroy Jake, because god knows we can't have him take a bump in his condition)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A_K said:

2nd half of Jericho promo was very good; 1st half was an illustration of a pretty steep charismatic decline. Paying the workers to sing his song as he comes out got pretty lame, pretty quick too. Probs should cut that out.

They won't cut it out. The aging egomaniac has too much clout for anyone to tell him no.

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Alternatively, the Nightmare Factory should add a shirt cuff class to its curriculum. 

• Like 2

Yeah, Jericho gonna pay people to sing that shit at his funeral. Do you not see the trip he goes on when they sing it for him? I skipped through it but I still saw the smugness for a split second. 

• Like 1