DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

The Lamey McLame-oes Who Like to Like Thing's guide to enjoying AEW Dynamite 4/7/2021

(Ha ha! Liking stuff is lame! But since some of us insist on enjoying current professional wrestling, here's a look at what might be really f'n good on today's show):

– Jurassic Express vs. Bear Country

OMG! OMG! OMG! Bear Country on Dynamite! In tag team action! I am legitimately bursting with joy over this. Bear Country are the tag team that I most look forward to watching out of all the teams currently wrestling in all of the promotions all around the world. They are massive beefy dudes who bring the stiffness and power. They are the exact opposite of what most people who hate AEW think that AEW wrestlers are like. They do cool stuff in the ring, but it is hard-hitting big man stuff, not flippy pretty athletic stuff. It was such a treat to see these guys on Dark just once, but they kept appearing on Dark and gradually working bigger and bigger matches and now they get a big spot on the main show. 

They are gonna lose, but they are most likely gonna look really great doing so. 

I dunno... if you can't enjoy seeing dudes who worked their way into a showcase spot by being awesome and by being themselves and if you can't enjoy big beefy dudes slapping meat... well, fair enough I guess, we all have different tastes... but I sincerely genuinely think almost everyone will enjoy this one a lot. I'm legitimately no fooling marking out in anticipation. 

– Trios Match: Jon Moxley & AEW World Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks vs. AEW World Champion Kenny Omega & The Good Brothers (w/Don Callis)

I thought the Good Brothers looked, well, pretty damned good on last week's show. Hopefully they will pull out al the stops tonight and just give 'er. 

w/r/t Kenny Omega, here's my hot take: When he was working as a good guy, he had the character of being an obsessive Japanophile nerd who also happened to be great at pro wrestling, and a lot of people were, like, "That guy is such a nerd! Why s a nerd the top guy in a pro wrestling company?" and then he switched to being a bad guy and took on the persona of a big phoney poseur and now a lot of people -sometimes the exact same people! - are all like, "That guy is such a phoney! How can anyone like a guy who is such a poseur?!?!" 

Here's the hot take, spoilered to keep from burning this thread down:

Spoiler

Maybe Kenny Omega is actually very good at this character stuff

– The Return of The Inner Circle

Last week was awesome. There are so many ways they could go from here. I'm a little bit on tenterhooks. I like that feeling. 

– The Bunny (w/Matt Hardy, The Butcher & The Blade) vs. Tay Conti (w/Evil Uno, Stu Grayson, 10 & -1 “Brodie Lee Jr.”)

Tay Conti is another person who has earned their way up the card by being their own awesome self. I'm all in favour of that. Tay Conti could not possibly look more different from Bear Country, but in my opinion she's the Bear Country of the AEW women's division in that she's someone I have gone from being all "Oh, who is that?" to someone where I regularly mark out in anticipation of watching them wrestle.

I am just sitting here after work (it's 11:49 pm Japan time) marking out for everything on this show (except Mike Tyson).

Now, if only old school tough guy JD Drake could get a big showcase on Dynamite as well...

– TNT Championship Match: Darby Allin (c) vs. JD Drake

* head explodes *

EDIT: apparently also -Hangman Page vs Max Caster in singles action. It's (more or less) the exact opposite of the West Texas Rednecks vs No Limit Soldiers.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
got skull and brains all over my keyboard
  • Like 6

I'm not big on the Inner Circle suddenly being babyfaces because they got their asses kicked and then came back and kicked ass. They were all total dickheads before, with the exception of Sammy walking away from everything. Two heel factions fighting works just fine in AEW, so hopefully it goes that way but I guess we'll wait and see.

Show looks pretty fucking great, psyched to see it. 

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The haters-guide generator is broken! Now how will I know which negative opinions to have about this show? Do I have to sit with this for a couple days till Jim tells me how to think? 

Hold onto me John!  We will get through this together!

I HATE EVERYTHING AND WON'T EVEN BOTHER TO WATCH THE SHOW LATER SO I CAN CONTINUE TO HATE THINGS FOREVER

– Jurassic Express vs. Bear Country

I like Bear Country and I like Jurassic Express as long as Marko stays out of the way. He never stays out of the way. He's the worst. The story here is that two face teams don't like each other... for reasons... so they will fight.  Because if AEW lacks anything, it's whole lot of tag teams so they don't have to blow through matches like this for no reason other than I guess tying to a movie that is already out. I don't know what movies are mind you. I only watch wrestling. But not this wrestling. This wrestling SUCKS. 

– Trios Match: Jon Moxley & AEW World Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks vs. AEW World Champion Kenny Omega & The Good Brothers (w/Don Callis)

This feels like a really big narrative shift from the will-they-won't-they alliance between The Bucks and Omega to let's just throw them all in a tag match. Hopefully this will move the story forward so we can get to the fireworks factory. Moxley will be the biggest idiot in the world if they all sting on him and he's got nothing planned in response. That's right, sting is now a verb for getting turned on when everyone saw coming. IE Cody sure got stinged by QT Marshall last week. By the way, where is QT and pals? Nothing like picking up momentum from an attack last week huh?

– The Return of The Inner Circle

Last week SUCKED. You let the air out of the Pinnacle balloon in 3 weeks by letting The Inner Circle get complete and total revenge their first night back. If only AEW knew how to pace anything, they might accidentally pay off an angle.

– The Bunny (w/Matt Hardy, The Butcher & The Blade) vs. Tay Conti (w/Evil Uno, Stu Grayson, 10 & -1 “Brodie Lee Jr.”)

There are more people on the outside of this match than lumberjack matches. Of all the people that don't get follow up to angles (like say that Scorpio Sky dude who is now teaming with Ethan Page in the "Oh shit, we don't know how to book singles wrestlers, let's throw them in a tag team!"), the Bunny is on a streak of Dynamite appearances not to be denied! 

– TNT Championship Match: Darby Allin (c) vs. JD Drake

I am also excited by Darby working a guy the television audience has never seen who will disappear back to Dark immediately after to work with the heel faction ... no the other one... no the other one... no the other one... no the other one. This will totally make Darby a bigger star by having him go 15 minutes with someone no one knows! It will be another amazing feet! Hopefully Matt Hardy will get involved since they seem to be working an angle and since wins and losses matter in this company is coming off the high of losing to Hangman Page 3 months salary which is such a small amount even HARDY doesn't care.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can complain even if you don't watch? That's a great idea. I normally self-flagellate while I watch because seeing wrestlers do all those cool moves makes me feel impure and I refuse to let myself enjoy it. Your way sounds so much easier. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

They don’t seem to have an appearance lined up, so hopefully I’m not too late getting this suggestion in and TK will see it in time. QT’s boys need to be called The Dream Factory.

• Like 1

JD Drake vs Darby Allin has my interest. Can't remember those two going at it. They seem like outsiders who should be partners (whereas Drake+Henry was bound to go wrong). I'd love to see Drake crush little Darb with a moonsault. 

59 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Let's not forget how the inclusion of Jungle Boy in this tag match weeks after he beat Harwood is a clear indicator that AEW has no idea what they're doing and no commitment to follow-through.

I think that Jungle Boy/Harwood singles match was more a chapter in the JE/FTR feud than the beginning of a big Jungle Boy singles push.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm super rooting for JD tonight. I know he's not going to win, but he deserves to be on the main show. Still kind of intrigued on where they're going with the Avalon/Drake/Nemeth/Cezar faction though.

Future tune-up match for Cody/Dustin/Johnson/Gunn. Gotta build Cody up for the big match against QT's gang.

Last time Tyson was on Dynamite 10 1/2 months ago he got into it with Jericho. Smart money would be on that starting the build for a Jericho-Tyson match then Tyson-Jones Jr was announced. Jericho was a heel then. The Inner Circle are also entangled in a feud with The Pinnacle right now. AEW doesn’t retcon so they are gonna address this and I don’t think they’d put Jericho and Tyson together just cuz but I do wonder what Tyson is gonna end up doing.

I think this is the first time where I know what everything is going to be on the show tonight. Not the details but just about every segment has to be spoken for now that there's going to be a Taz recruitment angle and Tyson's return (and why now??).

Taz trying to recruit Christian? I hope this leads to a Christian Cage vs Brian Cage match where the loser loses the rights to the name Cage.

I think it's pretty clear I like AEW a lot, but they really need to teach Luchasaurus how to wrestle if they're going to put him on TV this much, you know? I like everyone else in this match, though. But Jesus Christ, Luchasaurus has all the timing of a first year worker.

QT Marchall's promo was actually pretty good. I can't believe they have me caring about QT Marshall.

"Where's your little gerbil friend" listen, Jake Roberts says a lot of crap on the mic these days, but this line ruled. This Sting/Lance Archer stuff is kinda weird.

Darby Allin is an actual lunatic. That dive to the floor he does is wild. Some of his bumps mystify me how he pulls this shit off week after week without ending his career. JD Drake seems like a DVDVR special. Beefy. I thought this match was a ton of fun. Just a great fit for Darby's style of "kill me until I win" stories.

Never thought I'd be typing "we might get to see Mike Tyson beat up MJF" but this is a weird fucking year, man.

The Blade is a very lucky man. I will say no further on this subject. Tay Conti's pump kick in the corner is actually pretty dope. 

I liked the main event for what it was.

Overall kind of a middling show for Dynamite but it did a good job advancing storylines.

• Like 5

Yeah, I agree. They've been on fire but this week felt kind of like a filler episode. It still had some good promos and angles and the wrestling was fine but not to the level of what we've been seeing. I think they just conceded this week and loaded up next week with some really good shit. 

Not sure I love the main event angle though I think it was inevitable. I'm glad they kept some ambiguity and I can understand the Bucks' motivation even if I'm over the "I don't want to hurt my friend" shtick. We are past that for now at least thankfully. 

But, hey, we got HOOK in da house and he was damn near as big as Cage. 

• Like 1

Is it my imagination, or has it been a while since the Deadshot was teased that often in a Hangman match? Never liked the move. A few sloppy moments here, but a nice decisive win for Hangman over a dude I didn’t even realize was ranked. Glad to hear them talking him up as a contender coming out of his funk. Rap at the beginning was amusingly annoying.

I wonder what PAC and company were going to say about the Bucks. Oh well.

TSN cut off Jericho’s promo just as he was getting into his bit firing up the crowd after his entrance. Was hoping I’d missed most of it, but no such luck – just a poorly timed break. Jericho’s promo was awful. Toothless, dull attempts at humour are no match for what the Pinnacle were dealing. Jericho just assuming the fans are on their side now blows, even though they will be because it’s an easy crowd that knows how to play their part. Not giving anyone other than Jericho a chance to shine was a poor choice, especially when measured against the Pinnacle promo two weeks ago -- and a promo coming up in a few minutes.

Blood & Guts on free TV – Niiiice.

Taz trying to recruit Christian is an interesting choice. Presumably we’re getting some fresh Christian vs up-and-comer matches. Christian vs Starks! CHRISTIAN VS HOOK!!!!!!!!!!!

Luchasaurus is the weak link of his team. I hate his kicks and sequences. But I guess you needed to put him over strong here if you’re promoting a Godzilla movie. Fine. At least I got to see Jungle Boy on TV. That was my first exposure to Bear Country. It would not offend me to see more.

Short package from QT’s group was good. He put over everyone well and (take notes Jericho) I got to hear Anthony Ogogo speak for what I believe is the first time – and now I’m invested and want to see more! Good. The paint stuff sucked because it missed most of the logo. They could have left that bit on the cutting room floor. But on the whole, give me more of QT and the gang.

I wonder what Sting and Tony were going to discuss. Oh well.

Darby’s good. Missing the dropkick was unfortunate, but another strong outing for him. Could have lived without endlessly following Sting and Nemeth. That clothesline after bouncing Darby off the ropes on the outside looked great. Glad they’re seemingly blowing off this Darby-Hardy business next week. People need to stop letting Sting chase them off.

I wonder what thoughts Jericho was going to offer up during his interview segment backstage. Oh well.

Why would any of the Inner Circle guys be caught alone with all that’s been going on? It’s gang warfare time. Posse up and stay that way. And then Tyson coming in for the save? This sucked. Huge comedown from last week. At least I got to be amused by some feeble “hold me back bro” action with Santana and Hager.

Britt’s promo about how wins and losses shouldn’t determine championship matches was great. Personality goes a long way. 

Tay-Allie was the second match on the show where a weapon shot didn’t lead to a finish. Bleh. Good match overall though, and it's nice to see Tay getting a consistent push. Not sure why Aubrey let herself get so distracted by the chaos when neither competitor was in that mix. The TayKO should be Conti’s finish. 

Fuck the Bucks and Kenny and their shitty melodrama. Don’t you dare try to sell me on these moody teenagers turning on the dork champion ever again. Best let this be their final form and not break up the group for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Taz trying to recruit Christian? I hope this leads to a Christian Cage vs Brian Cage match where the loser loses the rights to the name Cage.

If only there was some kind of structure they could hold that match in.