DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Dontaku 2021 *CONTAINS SAKURA GENESIS SPOILERS*

The Natural

Well, I mean, it still has the Dome show on the schedule for Saturday with X vs. Okada for the Title, so there's a bit of chaos going on.

I'm chalking it up to them figuring out who's actually available and what to do going forward, since this probably borked a LOT of booking and as much shit as NJPW gets for being a bit predictible, they have a long term plan.

A lot of people say just use the G1 Climax to crown the new champion but it is getting pushed to the fall again due to the Tokyo Olympics that may or may not happen (I think it will). I am guessing that something is brewing though. Shingo, Suzuki, Sabre and Okada have all declared they want a shot at it. Sucks they just did the NJ Cup.

I would hate the G1 for the belt. This is a tournament where guys take multiple losses and it's basically parity booking until the final night. I think it kind of devalues the title even more. And having no champion until the fall is pretty horrendous. 

I've always been a believer that when your company is in danger just go back to your biggest and/or best star. Just run Okada/Shingo for the belt at the next big show and go from there. Anything else is them overthinking. 

You could do the G1 if you made it a Single Elim tournament, but you just ran the NJ Cup, and yeah.  If Okada is good to go, just strap him and let's tread water until everything's back to normal.

They do have Dominion coming up so perhaps they can figure out something there. I think waiting until the G1 is a bad idea just because of the timing. I could see a 4 person mini tournament, the two semis could be done on the Road to tour. Shingo-Sabre and Okada-Suzuki, winners face at Dominion. 

Too bad they just put the Never title on Jay White. All their singles champions are injured or recovering from COVID. Naito, Ibushi and Okada are all hurt to various extents.

4 hours ago, Hagan said:

I would hate the G1 for the belt. This is a tournament where guys take multiple losses and it's basically parity booking until the final night. I think it kind of devalues the title even more. And having no champion until the fall is pretty horrendous. 

(Ignore my Avatar)

I don't think it'd be the worst thing.  Reminds me of when Shane Douglas was on the shelf foreeevveeerrrr so RVD was kind unspoken top champ with the TV title.  With Mox barely showing around and the IC title gone, could open the door for some Switchblade dickery calling himself the man in the absence of the other belt.

(My heart is all in on Minoru Suzuki somehow getting a thank you reign out of all of this though)

I'm curious to know how having TWO vacated belts is better than one with 4 of their big 5 and their experiment/stop gap all in various states of Physical Breakdown and the solution is going to need to be another stopgap.

Outside of the obsession Western fans have with the IC title, which only existed for less than a fifth of the time the company has.

• Like 1