DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Grand Slam 2021. *CONTAINS SAKURA GENESIS 2021 SPOILERS*

The Natural

Announcement:

"As previously reported, Kota Ibushi has been diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia, and as a result has missed the Summer Struggle tour. After careful monitoring of his recovery, Ibushi is unfortunately unable to compete at Wrestle Grand Slam where he was scheduled to face Shingo Takagi for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship," NJPW announced.

"We apologise to fans who were looking forward to seeing Ibushi wrestle. We appreciate your understanding, and hope you join us in wishing Ibushi the best in his recovery."

Right to remove Kota Ibushi. You can't fuck around with pneumonia. Health is more important than wrestling. I'll be rooting for Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Shingo Takagi even though we don't need another IWGP World Heavyweight Championship change.

Edited by The Natural

They should have removed him a week ago, but there's that mentality of let's see if he can recover enough just in time plus Ibushi is insane.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ryan said:

They should have removed him a week ago, but there's that mentality of let's see if he can recover enough just in time plus Ibushi is insane.

Yeah, NJPW should have removed Kota Ibushi a week earlier. Can't mess about when it comes to pneumonia, Ibushi must have it bad to rule him out of matches on the tour, especially the main event of a Tokyo Dome show.

Edited by The Natural

Spoiler

Read the spoilers. Seems like one or two matches went too long and fucking EVIL of all people challenging Shingo Takagi at the end of the show for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship, bloody hell. Let's have someone worthwhile like Tomohiro Ishii or Minoru Suzuki challenging. Poor Shingo.

Edited by The Natural

9 minutes ago, Picklesnbeer said:

Tanahashi  being a replacement was great. Regardless if it was a forgone conclusion, one last title bout with Shingo was fun.

I hope and think Hiroshi Tanahashi will get a IWGP World Heavyweight Championship reign, the Ace deserves that.

49 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I hope and think Hiroshi Tanahashi will get a IWGP World Heavyweight Championship reign, the Ace deserves that.

That was what beating Omega was. How many more times does he need it? 

Evil as the next challenger is weak. I do not need 40 minutes of bs shenanigans, I'll pistol whip the next Bullet Club member to run interference. Crowd didn't seem enthusiastic about it either, dead silent followed by some polite claps. Show had been really good until then too. If you hate the long NJPW matches from earlier this year then stay away. I thought the tag titles and heavyweight title matches were excellent.

I was surprised Robbie Eagles won, by submission at that. Then I thought about it, I could easily see Hiromu beat Eagles and then lose it to a BOTSJ winner Desperado at the Tokyo Dome and Hiromu moves to heavyweight in 2022. Or I'm just flat out wrong.

The Ranbo was ok. Better than some previous attempts but I had a bad feeling when Chase Owens entered first again that he'd win this time. I was hoping someone interesting would win it. Blah, the KOPW title is a wannabe DDT Extreme title anyways. 

• Like 1

The final three matches were excellent, and the first two were very enjoyable to watch as well.  Due to all the wonky circumstances, this was like the sleeper show of the year for me. 

Not at all trying to be dismissive of the talents of Okada, Naito and Sanada, but let me clear:  the superstars of New Japan this year, along with a few others, have been Cobb, Dangerous Tekkers, Tanahashi, and Shingo.  Lo and behold, there they were again, blowing everyone away in the Dome.  

Hell of a show! Imagine it'd be held in a higher regard with a bigger and vocal crowd. Ranbo was what it was, wish they'd make the order less predictable in these. Enjoyed the Jr. Tag match and (obviously) loved the second match! Such a huge result for Aussie wrestling and am so looking forward to Robbie/Hiromu - they killed it during the BoSJ.

Need to rematch Cobb and Okada as I was cooling down from the previous match. Tag Title match went long but didn't feel as long as it was to me. Much better than the Sapporo match. I hope Dangerous Tekkees get a good run this time, but I'd also like to see both guys chasing Shingo. 

I don't think I need to say much about the main, it was excellent. I thought EVIL was going to challenge after no-showing the Ranbo. EVIL vs Ishii in Nagoya was shaping up to be a great match until the usual shit happened, but should be a safe defence for Shingo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

EVIL is now the Kane of NJPW. 

Based on everything said abut EVIL the past year this kind of feels like an insult to Kane. The crowds were generally excited for Kane when he did shit.

• Like 1