DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2021

The Natural

35 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The beutification of JD Drake continues to be one of the funniest things on my television.  Mike Nemeth as Pygmalion trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I like Leyla as the plucky baby face and am hoping that Diamante actually hooks up with Team Taz and becomes their female representative.

I also love her tagging with Ryo Mizunami.  I'm baffled by the Madi Wrenkowski/Nyla Rose thing.

I read the name “Cage” as “Gage” and I was a little worried but also a little intrigued at how Nick Gage would work on a mainstream wrestling show.  Am I seeing things?  M the M didn’t look like that way back in Lucha  Underground, did he?

There are a number of new faces on Dark Tuesday night.  Do they just use whoever shows up at Daily’s on Wednesdays?  It actually looks like some of those new faces (or heels) are from Atlanta.  I guess we know where they came from...Kris Zellner’s house! Probably after listening to that little OutKast performance group.  That is about as much about Atlanta as my brain can process....and then there is the school run by Cody and QT, obviously.  

I have warmed up to our little announcing project that is AEW Dark Elevation.  I still prefer o.g. Dark’s announcers but the two teams are really performing different services for the listener. Tony and Paul sound more comfortable together after seven weeks.  Excalibur is really the prototype style-wise that I want all my 2021 play-by-play person to personify.  Tony can drift into generic wrestling announcer on occasion but Paul keeps things relevant to this decade.  

44 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

The idea of pro wrestling being big again thanks to competitive national promotions.

I get that the NHL deal counts for something, but the last Stanley Cup games averaged 2.3 million viewers and this season's openers are getting great press for averaging only 1.3 million on NBC, and I don't know what that looks like demographic-wise.. I understand that Wednesday night is a good night for the NHL but are they really gonna expect their double-headers to be worth cutting Dynamite over? Wouldn't the worst case scenario be moving Dynamite to Thursdays, or are the Thursday NBA games as bulletproof as TNT's Tuesday basketball lineup? Isn't the more sensible option to air the NHL games ESPN doesn't want on TBS instead?

I'm getting used to your opinions being of the very pessimistic variety but NHL + Turner = Death of Good US Pro Wrestling TV is a big, sad stretch.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

I read the name “Cage” as “Gage” and I was a little worried but also a little intrigued at how Nick Gage would work on a mainstream wrestling show.

Nick Gage will be on AEW programming before 2021 ends, I'm positive of it. It was in the cards last year before he got injured.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Chuck Taylor vs Fenix was a very good match. Both guys decided "Actually, lets not just run through all of the same spots we do in every match" and it turned out much better for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Nick Gage will be on AEW programming before 2021 ends, I'm positive of it. It was in the cards last year before he got injured.

No way! I know AEW has been lax with their swear filter lately but wow!

This would be up there with “New Jack to WWE” rumour that seemed to float around for a year or so.

If it’s anything like the rumored Double or Nothing 2020 appearance, it’d likely be a one-off, so I doubt he’d get to cut a promo or anything. But I could easily see fan support online swelling for him to be signed, like what happened with Eddie Kingston. I mean, I highly doubt they’d sign him, because Gage is in no way comparable to what Kingston brings to the table, but who knows, maybe he becomes Joey Janela’s new tag partner or some shit after he inevitably turns on Sonny Kiss.

EDIT: Actually, the debut was supposed to be at All Out 2020, not DoN.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Keep your eyes out for TME  they are facing the Varsity Blondes tonight.   Really good team, athletic and have the charisma to match.  Go out of your way to watch some of their matches on Youtube and I think you will be impressed.  Ganon Jones and Duke Davis are legit.   The  Mane Event

• Like 2

I understand your stance a lot better now, good post. And you're right it's mostly based on opinion.

14 hours ago, A_K said:

I mean yeah, if you believe in a 163 cm dude competing for the World Title is believable storytelling then absolutely more power to you.

The United States is too arrogant to adapt the superior metric system so I have no idea how tall 163 cm is lol. But Rey Mysterio is 5'3 and he's a multi time world champion. Your opinion may vary on if that is believable storytelling but I'm good with it.

14 hours ago, A_K said:

To capitalise, there should the be a belt that Silver can sensibly win, otherwise the desire sounds foolhardy and is lesser for it.

Even if you don't buy a world title chase, there's still the TNT title. He's got about 30 pounds of mass on Darby so you can't say it's unbelievable for him to win that title, no?

14 hours ago, A_K said:

A lot of your reticence seems anchored in lower weight being less important by definition. I don’t agree. Can be nonchalant about the fact that the UFC has cultivated as much importance (commercially more so, even) for their 145-160 division as their heavyweights, but it was not always the way. They cultivated that importance over time. It wasn’t an immediate success. Simply saying “this is how it was in the past” does not preclude evolution in the future.

Comparing wrestling to UFC is not comparing apples to apples. In UFC you are not allowed to fight anyone outside of your weight class. So you don't have clear cut cruiserweight size workers competing for other titles. But you got Finn going for the NXT title and Bryan going for the SD title. How is it okay for them to fight out of the weight class but not the workers that are in a cruiserweight division? Not to mention all of the mixed up scenarios with tag matches. Pro wrestling is a movie. It's a creative endeavor where storytelling is the main purpose, not realism. I too like more realism added to my wrestling. But there's a tipping point. I don't watch UFC because it's boring to me. You start trying to force wrestling into that MMA box, it's gonna get boring to me and I will stop watching.

Just saying "This is how it was in the past" is a disservice to my greater point. 100 years of learned behavior doesn't just go away. You would need to dedicate years.. maybe even decades to retrain the audience. "World Heavyweight Champion" / "World Champion" is the top prize and has been since Hackenschmidt. Just changing everything and saying welp all the weight classes are world championships that are equals now would go over like a wet fart. You would have to stick with that plan for like 20 years no matter how well it was getting over or not, just to maybe have people buy it. And remember no matter how good of an idea you have, you aren't allowed to let wrestlers from separate weight classes work each other. No intermixing in tags or multi mans or trios or anything.

It's not worth the retraining. It's just a dead / bad idea for pro wrestling.

• Like 1

Nick Gage coming in to help Mox feels like we're one step closer to Jon Moxley's Hobo Army, which is arguably the best dumbest idea Vince ever had that he never went through with.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Nick Gage coming in to help Mox feels like we're one step closer to Jon Moxley's Hobo Army, which is arguably the best dumbest idea Vince ever had that he never went through with.

Was the freeze-dried Nazi with a Jewish manager someone else's idea?  'Cause that feels more interesting than hobo army to me.

We really need a thread of silly gimmicks pitched by Vince and the workers over the years that never made it out of the gate.  I've heard some great stories over the years that sound absolutely nuts (and usually horrid; talent seems to be as bad at creative at coming up with gimmicks).

A while back, Meltzer got to talking about the gimmick Maria Kanellis pitched for herself during her first run with the company.  Basically, her character would develop a bad girl/good girl split personality, each personality would date a different wrestler, and the two wrestlers would somehow feud with each other without figuring out they were dating the same woman.  Sounds like it would have been painful to watch.

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

What does licensing "For Whom the Bell Tolls" cost?

There's a reason Metallica and Led Zeppelin rarely if ever have their music featured in movies. 

I think it was Scott Keith who used to refer the the Cruiserweight division as "Jobberweight", and I kinda think that is how post 1997 WCW fans see anything labeled junior/light/cruiser. I'd rather them add a US title (I think Miro would be good with this one) have that be more storyline focused and have the TNT title be just guys doing open challenges every week with the focus on the work rate.

• Like 1