DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2021

The Natural

I thought I would add here how easy the hypothetical 6 man (person?) title tournament

Dark Order team #1

Dark Order Team #2 plus Cabana or Adam Page

Inner Circle (Jericho/Sammy/Hager)

Jurassic Express

Pinnacle (probably either FTP/Sears or MJF/Wardlow/Sears)

Pretty Picture (Avalon/Bononi and one of Drake/Nemeth)

Young Bucks & Brandon Cutler

QT Marshall/Nick Comoroto/Anthony Agogo/Solow - any 3 of the four

Dustin/Lee Johnson/Gunn Club or Cody/Dustin/Lee and the Gunns get their own story since they probably have most wins

Best Friends & Orange Cassidy

Death Triangle or Lucha Bros & Laredo Kid...and if that then ...

Pac & The Hybrid 2 who teamed on Dark

SCU until recently

Team Taz but they are not long for this world as a trio

Kenny & Good Bros

Hardy Party or Matt & BB&B 

Kingston was with BB&B..,they would have been cool

That is easily at least 12 regular teams. The 6 Man  rankings are a joke though.  They just keep giving Gunn Club a loooing winning streak as a trio.  The Gunns could make for a simple upset story by a less “familiar” team.  Gunns are just a gimmick to overcome by less established teams

The number of regular trios can’t be a coincidence.   Almost every 6 Man tournament is heavily padded with new teams.  The depth in AEW is incredible. Only Dragon Gate or CMLL could book easier trios tournaments. They can add some true jobber teams to fill out a 16 team bracket.

“Traditional” wrestling logic usually caps these at eight teams.  Chikara did a great job with King of Trios for a significant period in 21st century North American wrestling.  The draw for those was usually the outside talent that would get booked for the three day event.  AEW won’t be quite as wacky.  Some will see that as a good thing.  Some will see that as a bad thing.  Hopefully there aren’t too many on DVDVR or PWO that will ask “What the heck is a Chikara?”  Some of them will make me sad?

Edited by Ryan Faulconer
Sorry for the rambling. I couldn’t get the teams in a spoiler tag
  • Like 1

Oh yeah you can do 16 teams easily. Throw Moxley and Kingston in there with some random jobber (Say, Fuego Del Sol) with the story being they didn't want a 3rd partner but were forced to. Stretch it out over Dynamite (and maybe have a couple first round matches on Elevation and/or Dark) and you could squeeze 2 months out of it easy

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 1

Darby was Mox's only friend for a bit. And Kingston's supposed to have a broken ankle, so Mox/Darbs/Sting?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

So... Where is Pac? I don't think I've seen him on TV since the Dynamite after the PPV. Was he written off somehow and I missed it? Where did the Laredo Kid come from in this storyline?

Im so confused!

Ankle injury. Out a couple of weeks.

Watched the Anniversary Dynamite from last October. Very strange to see Jade and Velvet standing next to each other on the babyface side, cheering on Cody.

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Watched the Anniversary Dynamite from last October. Very strange to see Jade and Velvet standing next to each other on the babyface side, cheering on Cody.

I would assume that the reason they've been paired up is Velvet has been the one helping Jade to train since Jade's been around. IIRC Red Velvet is Florida based so that would make sense.

They've probably been running through stuff since then. It's also likely why they pivoted to Red Velvet once Brandi was pregnant even though she hadn't been featured at all.

While we're talking about female wrestlers and training - apparently the story with Ivelisse is that she has some heat with some agents/trainers and that's why she hasn't been used, unlike Diamante. And the fact that she's on a per date basis, not an actual contract.

• Sad 1

Just now, AxB said:

Yeah, Red Velvet lives in Florida with her fiancee. Who is Wes Brisco, the lucky bastard.

Does Wes have a stake in Brisco Brothers Body Shop? I only ask because I heard they do great rear end work.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Casey said:

While we're talking about female wrestlers and training - apparently the story with Ivelisse is that she has some heat with some agents/trainers and that's why she hasn't been used, unlike Diamante. And the fact that she's on a per date basis, not an actual contract.

Ivelisse gets more heat than a south Florida afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cody doing a promo about self awareness:

I think he might be lurking here, you know.

Hi Cody! Cool tats, dude!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jiji said:

They'll win them back.

I can see #FTR as the first to bring Pinnacle gold. Then again I can see a delay for the second reign with the deep tag team division. If I had to guess I think the former will happen first.

Do you think we get Miro vs. Page in the summer as a #1 contender's match of sorts for All Out? I feel almost like that should be a PPV match. I want to see those guys go for 20 minutes and beat the shit out of each other with Hangman squeaking out the win. Miro is approaching his final form it seems to me with his intensity, look, and hucking of humans really going up several notches. He was handled perfectly in that arcade match and clearly they have big things planned for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the title off of Hangman to be honest, though I still think it's MJF's spot. Anyway, I really appreciate how hard both Page and Miro hit, how believable pretty much all their work is (Page doesn't do the running SSP as often thankfully), and both are at similar levels with Page being a bit closer to the top than Miro due to being one of the company's core guys they've built around since day one. AEW has thankfully gone easy on rematches, avoiding the week-in, week-out bullshit WWE became when they shifted towards being all about TV and filling time as content creators. However, I would love to see a three match series with them with the final match being something like a last man standing or a cage match. Whoever wins should barely scrape by. Thoughts? I'm often wrong, but to me it looks like we're heading towards Christian vs. Omega or one final Mox/Omega match for now (less likely) for Double or Nothing. All Out seems the logical place for Hangman to win the title unless they swerve and while I just ranted about NJPW being too formulaic and predictable, this is not something they should swerve away from. The groundwork has been there since Page lost to Jericho at the first All Out. When something has been built so well for so long, predictable is okay. Do you save Miro for before or after All Out? Hangman's not quite where he needs to be and being the first man to beat Miro in AEW could be the deal to get him over the top and ready to go in my books.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

A Hangman vs. Miro number one contenders match at Double or Nothing makes a lot of sense, especially since they are building towards a lot of multi-man matches (Inner Circle vs. Pinnacle, Mox/Kingston/Bucks? vs. Omega/Good Brothers, Hardy Family vs. Dark Order, Nightmare Family vs. QT's Turncoats). In fact, you can build a unique but exciting PPV with that as the sole singles matches, though I'd guess that they run Omega vs. Christian also for the title.