DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Wait...all Meltzer said was that she was getting dental surgery and commented on how shitty it is that women have to keep doing this kind of stuff to satisfy certain expectations of women in certain circles in the industry.  Her tweet doesn’t really match up too well with what he actually said.  

Not trying to leap to the defense of Dave Meltzer here, but yeah, I think he was pretty clearly saying that there's a lot of pressure in pro wrestling for women to look a certain way and that seems like about as uncontroversial an opinion as could possibly exist.

And I'm sorry, I don't know what the line is when it comes to Charlotte or any other public figure who has, uh, increasing amounts of noticeable plastic surgery. I'm not saying it's fair game for everyone to pile on and be an asshole or anything (if nothing else, it's pretty hacky Jay Leno monologuing about Cher kind of stuff), and it's anyone's god given right to do whatever they want to their bodies, but are we, as an audience, just supposed to...politely ignore it? Pretend that's not what's going on? Cena's hair implants were also very jarring and weird initially! A very famous wrestler has more or less debuted a new face, I feel like that's at least -- notable?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Idiot King said:

Cena's hair implants were also very jarring and weird initially! 

They still are. 

Every time I see this dude, I have the urge to go full Elaine Benes on him.

babd4c32fb5dc37f14f1b370514a120a.gif

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Wait...all Meltzer said was that she was getting dental surgery and commented on how shitty it is that women have to keep doing this kind of stuff to satisfy certain expectations of women in certain circles in the industry.  Her tweet doesn’t really match up too well with what he actually said.  

Because she probably never actually heard it and was responding to some rando trying to stir shit up by bringing a misleading version of what he said to rile her up and she took the bait. Dave no selling it is the correct way to handle it.

• Like 1

WWE President Nick Khan hired Chris Legentil and he is now Senior Vice President & Head of Global Communications.  A veteran of streaming service DAZN as well as Showtime and the NBA. And Scott Zanghellini is now Head of Revenue Strategy and Development, while Alex Varga is VP of Revenue Strategy and Development. All will report to Khan.

Mead Rust, Vice President, Communications was let go after two years with the company.

They let go Joe Villa, whose job was Manager Publicity and Corporate Communications, he had been with the company for over 22 years, started with the fan services department and then moving into Live Events Management and publicity.

Edited by D.Z

Maybe this belongs in the hot take thread, but i dont see the big deal with the garbage bag stuff. Theyre good bags. Large, durable, waterproof, got the little tie gimmick on the end to close them up. As long as it wasnt pulled out of a dumpster then its just a fucking plastic bag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, bazzil said:

Maybe this belongs in the hot take thread, but i dont see the big deal with the garbage bag stuff. Theyre good bags. Large, durable, waterproof, got the little tie gimmick on the end to close them up. As long as it wasnt pulled out of a dumpster then its just a fucking plastic bag.

A person has lost their job after putting years in only to find personal items in a bin bag with a name sticker on is an additional insult. Bin bags are mainly used for rubbish, this isn't. Deliver them differently.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

Not trying to leap to the defense of Dave Meltzer here, but yeah, I think he was pretty clearly saying that there's a lot of pressure in pro wrestling for women to look a certain way and that seems like about as uncontroversial an opinion as could possibly exist.

And I'm sorry, I don't know what the line is when it comes to Charlotte or any other public figure who has, uh, increasing amounts of noticeable plastic surgery. I'm not saying it's fair game for everyone to pile on and be an asshole or anything (if nothing else, it's pretty hacky Jay Leno monologuing about Cher kind of stuff), and it's anyone's god given right to do whatever they want to their bodies, but are we, as an audience, just supposed to...politely ignore it? Pretend that's not what's going on? Cena's hair implants were also very jarring and weird initially! A very famous wrestler has more or less debuted a new face, I feel like that's at least -- notable?

What kills me is that she's all YOU HAVE MY NUMBER DAVE YOU COULD HAVE CALLED ME.  And then you realize that she has Dave's number, too, and could have called him to straighten all this out if she really had an issue with a guy who is a longtime family friend.  That, plus how much of a misplaced overreaction her tweet was, makes this feel so performative. 

Hulk Hogan is garbage but he did get one thing right.  Don't work yourself into a shoot, brother.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

Because she probably never actually heard it and was responding to some rando trying to stir shit up by bringing a misleading version of what he said to rile her up and she took the bait. Dave no selling it is the correct way to handle it.

That rando is one reason why Twitter snitches made it far in the VrtlPros Super Shame Cup last year.  Even if Meltzer didn't say anything bad all it takes is to frame a tweet the right away and they take the bait.  So fuck that guy.  But in Charlotte's defense Meltzer did have that issue where he commented on Peyton's looks and that got him in hot water.  I don't blame her for reacting the way she did.  I don't expect her to apologize and it's likely best to just let it blow over.

But seriously, fuck that guy.

As for Carrano he seemed like a slimeball so if he did the trash bag treatment for Mickie and others then good riddance to bad rubbish.

EDIT:  Okay, I saw the tweet again and she said she heard the clip.  As for what Dave said I think he was trying to play it safe by saying it was more about the company/industry and not her.  But even something like that is just not good to say especially after the Peyton situation.  Dave might not have meant harm but maybe going forward he should just let Bryan/Garrett/etc. talk about it and not say anything.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

33 minutes ago, hammerva said:

To me there is nothing more WWE than on the day of this,  they decide to put on their Twitter a commercial with Drew McIntyre and Sasha Banks for Hefty Trash bags.

Maybe the whole Mickie thing is just viral marketing?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

The tweet she responded to had an audio clip of what meltzer said.

The Dave/Charlotte thing kind of dovetails into what Mickie said about how in WWE once a woman hits a certain age they're put out to pasture. Charlotte is hitting her mid-30s and, well, historically this is the time they start to tend to phase out woman performers unless they maintain a certain look. 

Just look at the example of Nattie who is virtually unrecognizable from how she began and even then had to undergo work to even get hired in the first place. 

It's a touchy issue but it's not like Dave should avoid stating obvious acts unless you assume that it's convenient that just about every female performer WWE hires just adores plastic surgery and other cosmetic improvements. 

Next time y'all go to your office you should ask your co-workers when they're getting work done because it's just a totally routine deal for people. 

Re: trashbag gate. It's bad optics but, realistically, if they put people's jackets and clothes in there and ship them that's probably not as sinister as it looks. Could the WWE afford to pay extra and ship people's crap back in nicely packaged Fed-Ex boxes. Certainly, as well. 

• Like 2

I think its amusing how many are coming to Dave's defense with him falsely saying Charlotte was getting dental work for a complete makeover. He may have a point about the industry and its expectations of women, but it was also also a pretty shitty thing to say without getting any sort of confirmation. That was what set Charlotte off. She seemingly isn't getting any work done and with how people look at her at times and judge her for looks that was some extra unnecessary shit put on her by Dave. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2