DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

The major problem with Drake now is that he is doing this shit under the guise that the WWE or specifically NXT has his full support.  I mean doing this zoom call backstage at a TV taping should show that.    And the bad thing is that they probably do.   Given how dangerous a rabbit hole he is getting in, when he does go January 6th on something the chances are he will do it wearing a WWE piece of merchandise.  Then the real problem begins.  

I would have hoped that Bix would at least share that with sponsors so they know what's going on unless he's relying on others to get the word out.  But of all the fucked up things going on in that company this is IMO a high priority situation where something has to be done.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

You know how sad it is that I read this and can think of a few people this can apply to?  But let's just say that I hope karma bites him hard and leave it at that.

I would need to see proof about Kross being part of this as I hope that's not true.  I know @Tromatagonis friends in some way with him and I though the guy was awesome to talk to.  If this is true then this will bum me out and make me reconsider some thing about him.

Also, with Drake wearing an NXT shirt I wonder if that would get him in further hot water.  Maybe not but I'm all for whatever boots him out of there.  EDIT:  Whoops, didn't know SturmCRF mentioned this part earlier.

Yeah they went to a meeting or event or something together so Kross is getting lumped in (hopefully).  Telling his side of the story (and I don't know what it is but hope it's distancing himself FAR away from this) would hopefully clear this shit up.  He's shot down accusations of racism and shit before.

I don't think he's like Drake at all from all the times he's talked to our podcast hosts on and off air and I this Drake shit is gross.

I could be wrong but I hope not?  Does that make sense?

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Yeah they went to a meeting or event or something together so Kross is getting lumped in.  Telling his side of the story (and I don't know what it is) would hopefully clear this shit up.  He's shot down accusations of racism and shit before.

I don't think he's like Drake at all from all the times he's talked to our podcast on and off airn and I this Drake shit is gross.

I could be wrong but I hope not?  Does that make sense?

Thanks, dude and I hope you're not wrong either.  I've been fond of the guy and it would really bum me out if there was something to this.  For now I'm in a wait-and-see mode but I think with Drake being the bigger focus there might not be as much talk about Kross.

I just woke up from a series of really wild dreams, but probably the weirdest was being the manager for a match between Nick Gage and Jerry Lawler. Then I was gonna set up Gage vs. Cornette, until Gage ran away in a van, threw a grenade that blew a rectangular hole in the ground that I drove over and didn't fall into somehow, and was promptly chased by metallic falcon drones. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I just woke up from a series of really wild dreams, but probably the weirdest was being the manager for a match between Nick Gage and Jerry Lawler. Then I was gonna set up Gage vs. Cornette, until Gage ran away in a van, threw a grenade that blew a rectangular hole in the ground that I drove over and didn't fall into somehow, and was promptly chased by metallic falcon drones. 

I just had a trawl through Lawler’s cagematch database, just to make sure Gage v Lawler hadn’t happened on GCW or some other random indie show.  I mean it SEEMS like it could have happened.  The closest I could find was Lawler v Mance Warner.

Lawler’s match history on there is wild particularly over the last few years.  I didn’t know that this match from September 2020 existed, but I am curious as hell to see it:

Thunderdome Steel Cage Six Man Tag Team Match

in 2020!!!

• Like 1

The show that had Lawler vs Mancer also had Orange Cassidy vs Gangrel and Nick Gage vs Effy. It was one of those "Run an indy show the night before a PPV in the same city" deals, only it was Chicago and an AEW PPV.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I would have hoped that Bix would at least share that with sponsors so they know what's going on unless he's relying on others to get the word out.  But of all the fucked up things going on in that company this is IMO a high priority situation where something has to be done.

Bix has half the internet on block, so I'm not sure he actually *can* tag sponsors.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I just had a trawl through Lawler’s cagematch database, just to make sure Gage v Lawler hadn’t happened on GCW or some other random indie show.  I mean it SEEMS like it could have happened.  The closest I could find was Lawler v Mance Warner.

Happened in JAPW. Halloween Hell 2010. I'm not sure the full match has ever been released? May be wrong about that. There is this, though:

• Like 2

Adam Pearce's new title is Director of Live Events. He is still producing matches as well under Ace. While Hayes has just moved on to producing Roman and other sorts of matches for him.

WWE President Nick Khan and CFO Kristina Salen both have more power now as previously reported. Both are overseeing different divisions that in prior regimes, those in their positions did not directly oversee.  

40 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Wasn't Gonzalez already outed last year by multiple people during SpeakingOut?

He was, by Reyna Pink and Simply Luscious among others. But he wasn't completely cancelled like many others and continued working with various promotions. So this latest one is seeming to hit harder on him. Danny mentions in there that Rudy was apparently on a "to be hired" list as a WWE Performance Center trainer at one point last year or so, but not anymore. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

Didn't Bryan say something in the same interview that Otis would be a massive star in New Japan if he worked there?

And Cesaro too. But that goes without saying. 

To related things from the new WON regarding the Bryan stuff.

First the quotes on a podcast about Otis being a big star in Japan, etc...

Bryan was on Barstool Sports’ My Mom’s Basement podcast and talked about his new idea of staying with WWE but being able to wrestle for other companies, notably New Japan. He said that a lot of WWE talent is much better than they get credit for and could do well in New Japan. “I brought it up to a lot of people. And I don’t think the Mexico thing (CMLL) would happen. But I also think that now is -- more than ever -- is a time when people are open to new ideas. I think I have made some headway. Whether any of it actually happens, who knows? It’s just one of those things that - one of the things that I think would be great. I don’t think people truly understand how great a lot of the WWE Superstars are because we don’t necessarily put on a pure wrestling product, we put on a sports entertainment product. If all of a sudden you saw Cesaro in New Japan, for example, people would be like, `Oh my God, this guy is the greatest!’ Multiple people. I think if you put Otis in New Japan, and people would be like, `Holy cow, this guy is amazing,’ like, Vader from the 90s type vibe. People think of him as the worm guy, but him being able to do and learn and work with some of those guys, It’s just a different presentation. So I think that would be cool, and a very unique contribution to wrestling, as far as giving back I also think it’d be good for say WWE and just wrestling in general for people who are in say the developmental system right now, for them to be able to go and learn in other places. I wouldn’t be the performer that I am today if I hadn’t wrestled in Japan, and not just Japan where it’s like sports stuff, but like Butlin’s in the UK where it’s all comedy, and I’m out there waving an American flag, singing the national anthem, getting my pants pulled down, seeing how many times I can get hit in the groin in a match, that sort of thing. I think all of those things add to your depth as a performer, and then when it’s time to put you in a top position, then you can do a number of things.

And then related but not related to allowing guys to work elsewhere

We’ll see if this goes somewhere, but WWE doesn’t like the rep that it doesn’t work with anyone in the modern wrestling world. They are in talks with MLW and it’s along the lines of the old Evolve deal or to a degree the 90s ECW deal. The idea is to get some of the developmental guys who aren’t working on NXT television some work. There is also the idea of creating their own Evolve-like group as a weekly streaming show, but this would allow the guys to work on actual television and get more exposure than on Peacock and also seem like they are changing and modernizing. The idea is also to alleviate the frustration of so many guys on the roster who sign and then basically are never used, especially now with no NXT house shows (although that will likely be changing soon). The idea is people see AEW having partnerships with New Japan, Impact and AAA and they want to make it look like WWE is not set in its old ways and uncooperative in he real world. Whether this comes to fruition is a different story but the mentality right now is there to work with other people. Then again, that was also the mentality in the U.K. and Germany and that didn’t turn out well. But this is a totally new WWE under Nick Khan

• Like 1

The mentality in the UK being sign as many Britwres draws as possible, wait until Progress and OTT announces their show dates, and then book NXT-UK tapings head to head with those shows. And agree to loan out their signings to work selected companies, for a bit, and then make those signings WWE exclusives once those companies have booked them into long term storylines.

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

The mentality in the UK being sign as many Britwres draws as possible, wait until Progress and OTT announces their show dates, and then book NXT-UK tapings head to head with those shows. And agree to loan out their signings to work selected companies, for a bit, and then make those signings WWE exclusives once those companies have booked them into long term storylines.

Nice!

...way to waste my 1000th post, but yeah...

Edited by Shartnado
Ooops...

17 minutes ago, AxB said:

It's the old 'cannibalize the territories' mentality. I think anyone would be crazy to want to work with WWE if they're still thinking that way. 

It's actually bizarre how NXT-UK has, at this point, basically everyone from Progress. Like, it's run by the person who ran Progress, and has much of the roster there. The only big names from the Progress 2018-ish roster they don't have under contract are ZSJ, Ospreay, Scurll (who wasn't actually there that much), Havoc, Robinson and Starr (and if they had those 6, four or five of them would be cancelled now anyway). But hardly anyone who liked Progress actually watches NXT-UK, other than Takeovers, or maybe if Walter has a match on the TV. You'd think they'd love it, but they don't.

Apparently attending an NXT-UK taping is really boring. Basically they don't tell the fans what's happening and they tape multiple episodes on the one night, so they never actually know what's a main event and what isn't. And you get angles to build to a match in two weeks that might happen later that night (in real time) or not. You can watch an epic main event type of match, get super into the whirlwind of emotion and the cathartic explosion of the finish, and there isn't even an intermission before two more guys come out and start having your standard 'opening match on the TV show' match.