DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Honestly, it would be for the best if Murphy left WWE. Maybe not paycheck wise, but he would tear it the fuck up in NJPW.

I agree with this. I like Murphy, but even in a well booked WWE I don't see him in a top spot. I think he could go farther in Japan.

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He definitely has a Liefeld drawing come to life look to him.

This reminds me of the Tanahashi picture which somehow proved Liefeld's Captain America was not total bs in terms of possibilities despite how utterly ridiculous it looked.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So, Wrestlemania. Bray Wyatt faced an established main eventer, goes out of his way to use unusual mind games (involving special effects!), but his opponent no sold the weirdness, hit their finish and won clean in the middle.

But which year's Mania am I talking about? Is it more than one, possibly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

What amused me about this go-round of that is Orton sloooooooowwwwwllllllyyyyyyy making his way to the ring and posing. He was practically running out the clock. It was probably to allow them time to get the box-like structure ready, but it came off like the most disinterested shit ever. At one point his face read "Why am I here?" like a giant blinking red neon light. 

On the AEW fans Discord we were having a sweepstakes on how long we'd be into the show before we heard the opening bell of the first match. And my guess of 20 minutes past the hour looked a safe bet until they started airing a video package after Orton was already out there. Like he was already in the ring, but was still doing his ring entrance.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What amused me about this go-round of that is Orton sloooooooowwwwwllllllyyyyyyy making his way to the ring and posing. He was practically running out the clock. It was probably to allow them time to get the box-like structure ready, but it came off like the most disinterested shit ever. At one point his face read "Why am I here?" like a giant blinking red neon light. 

Good call on stalling to give time to set up the box-like structure. 

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Good Lord - is Murphy’s shirt painted on?

Seems legit to me ? That's the level of snuggness I like in shirts. Of couse, material needs to be very stretchy. Peeling the shirt off is the shitty part.

16 hours ago, Craig H said:

Honestly, it would be for the best if Murphy left WWE. Maybe not paycheck wise, but he would tear it the fuck up in NJPW.

I stopped getting NJPW World for now but the idea of him in the Juniors division tearing it up with the likes of Takahashi would get me to sign back up immediately.  Plus it'd be closer to Australia for him so that would be a win-win situation all-around.

10 hours ago, AxB said:

On the AEW fans Discord we were having a sweepstakes on how long we'd be into the show before we heard the opening bell of the first match. And my guess of 20 minutes past the hour looked a safe bet until they started airing a video package after Orton was already out there. Like he was already in the ring, but was still doing his ring entrance.

This could be the lack of caffeine talking but is this the Discord I setup or another one you're in.  Because if it's another one I would like to check that out please.  Thanks.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

This could be the lack of caffeine talking but is this the Discord I setup or another one you're in.  Because if it's another one I would like to check that out please.  Thanks.

It's another one. 

• Thanks 1

Whenever mainstream media tried to cover the Saudi deal, they really tripped over not knowing that The Royal Rumble and The Greatest Royal Rumble weren't actually the same thing.

10 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Like, isn't that implied by "Backlash" on its own though? Fuck, man, if you can't trust your audience to make that connection without holding their hand...

Technically - Backlash wasn't supposed to be the next PPV.

I just scrolled back in this thread to see when I posted it and on April 6 - the WWE had announced that MITB was May and Backlash was June

So sometime in the span of a week - they changed their minds on the order and apparently felt that had to justify why they were flipping it by adding the Mania attachment.

And to go to AxB's point - the more people they can trick into watching on Peacock because they think its Mania, the better (in their eyes)

• Like 1

My mom called all wrestling “wrestlemania” when I was a kid.  She couldn’t tell you what WWF or WCW or anything else was but she knew the wrestlemania name. Maybe they are trying to hit the “old people who call things by one brand name market”

I don’t think the rebrand will encourage her to order the show or subscribe to the network.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2