DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

Every year since I was born, I've had near crippling respiratory ailments during the winter months.  Wearing a mask, staying away from the plague rats, and more attn to sanitization (which I finally hit on a brand that didn't set my skin on fire) l, and this year is the first time in my 46 years of flipping off death that I haven't gotten sick, missed work, been hospitalized.  I may wear a mask thru winter for the rest of my life.

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, nate said:

Every year since I was born, I've had near crippling respiratory ailments during the winter months.  Wearing a mask, staying away from the plague rats, and more attn to sanitization (which I finally hit on a brand that didn't set my skin on fire) l, and this year is the first time in my 46 years of flipping off death that I haven't gotten sick, missed work, been hospitalized.  I may wear a mask thru winter for the rest of my life.

Through the winter; on planes, trains, and public transportation; and when in large crowds (enclosed and open alike): I will mask up for all of these now. Of course, it would be more helpful if others wore masks as well, but anything to mitigate transmission helps. 

I haven't had a cold since 2019, and I'm digging that. 

• Like 6

I worry about how some nutters out there might act once mask mandates go away and they see a handful of people in the wild wearing masks. Hopefully we don't get psychos harrassing people because masks trigger them. But yeah, I've heard from a lot of people how healthy they've been feeling on account of the mitigation efforts and how they hope little things like masks are somewhat here to stay for some people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I worry about how some nutters out there might act once mask mandates go away and they see a handful of people in the wild wearing masks. Hopefully we don't get psychos harrassing people because masks trigger them. But yeah, I've heard from a lot of people how healthy they've been feeling on account of the mitigation efforts and how they hope little things like masks are somewhat here to stay for some people. 

Buddy, I live in Arkansas (and in Northwest Arkansas, the most liberal section of the state fwiw). We're already halfway there. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Buddy, I live in Arkansas (and in Northwest Arkansas, the most liberal section of the state fwiw). We're already halfway there. 

And here in rural central MS it is rough. Once the restrictions were dropped at most 30% of the people are masking up. It's become second nature now for me once I turn my car off to mask up before I get out of the car. Gonna keep doing it. This past winter was the first one in 20+ years where I didn't have a nasty head cold every other week. I ended up with one the tail end of March. And that was more triggered by the weather and tempature going from nice to cold to nice again in a span of a few days.

Plus now I got like 20 bandanas that I match up with what I'm wearing. 

• Like 6

I have had multiple instance where I've been in public with my mask, a hat and sunglasses on and I've seen someone I know that I'd rather not talk to and they've walked right past me.  I may wear a mask the rest of my life.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

11 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Goddamnmit. ?

It all depends on where you live. I know of the area he's talking about because my wife's mom and grandma lives near there. His comment isn't surprising. I don't think it's going to be as big of a deal in other places, but this area of the midwest is practically a different world compared to down there.

• Like 1

I also plan to go to events once they start happening again. Wrestling shows, concerts, etc. Or at least whatever I can go to with another baby in the house. Not much to worry about once I get my shot next week. I'll also keep wearing a mask because this is the longest I've gone without a cold and it has felt great not spending 2 to 3 weeks being congested, taking long showers to clear my sinuses, etc. 

We live in a college town, so I expect that a lot of the students will at least try to keep wearing masks once the pandemic ends.  We live in a Republican state, so I expect that won't play well with the permanent residents.  Not that I blame them. 

Living in a college town has lost its appeal, for a lot of reasons.  Wife and I are talking fairly seriously of moving.  Texas seems to be a likely destination, since we have family down there.  My parents have decided to move out of state and my siblings and in-laws are spread out between Texas and Las Vegas, so it makes sense.

Edited by Eoae

3 hours ago, Log said:

I have had multiple instance where I've been in public with my mask, a hat and sunglasses on and I've seen someone I know that I'd rather not talk to and they've walked right past me.  I may wear a mask the rest of my life.

Yea had that happen to me. Seems unless someone can see my chest length goatee they had no clue it is me. 

• Like 1

so far I've watched both IWTV Family Reunion shows. Most of Trent Acid Cup and a little of the Jimmy Lloyd show.    Some of the spots from the Lloyd show were insane.

Crowd size for the IWTV shows look extremely small.  Must be hot as hell in Florida, I've never seen so many wrestlers bring water bottles to the ring as I have with these GCW shows. 

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You know there is a place called Land of Confusion on here where we discuss these things.

Yeah, but every time I go there I get that damn Genesis song stuck in my head. 

• Haha 3

In the new WON - Dave mentions that Bad Bunny moved his HQ to Orlando so he could train Mania fairly regularly. Apparently he is working with Adam Pearce and Drew Gulak.

This isn't the first time I have heard about the WWE having Gulak work with someone that they want to feature.

I am saying this all to ask the question - is Gulak gonna end up being the most underrated signing of the PC era?

Like my knee jerk thought is the only other person I would consider (in the way I am thinking about this in my brain) is Drake Maverick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Log said:

Yeah, but every time I go there I get that damn Genesis song stuck in my head. 

There are so many worse things than having Land of Confusion stuck in your head that I don't even know where to start. Ok, I'll start with a fork stuck in your head, for instance, but I'll stop there.

...I love that song, btw...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

I'm not at all familiar with lucha... I'm kind of afraid to ask but is that a thing lucha crowds do?

It is beyond just lucha.

There is many a story about the US Men's National soccer team having bags of piss thrown at them when playing in the country.

I'd love to know more about the logistics of piss throwing in sports.  Like, do they fill bags of piss at home and then arena security is like "you have to leave the snacks you brought from home, but you can definitely bring in your signs and ziplocs full of pee, cool."  Do they bring the bags and then stand there right at their seats, whip it out, and fill them up in full view of the Lucha LIbre Universe?  Do they do the polite thing and fill the bag in the bathroom, then confidently strut back to their seats like Tony Manero, carrying big ol' bags of piss?  Is other people's piss sold in pre-filled bags at the concession stand next to wrestler merch?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Edit:

Other People's Piss would be a great band name and The Logistics of Piss Throwing in Sports would make a sweet title for a doctoral thesis.  They're free to use if you thank me in your album liner or dissertation notes.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Just now, Technico Support said:

I'd love to know more about the logistics of piss throwing in sports.  Like, do they fill bags of piss at home and then arena security is like "you have to leave the snacks you brought from home, but you can definitely bring in your signs and ziplocs full of pee, cool."  Do they bring the bags and then stand there right at their seats, whip it out, and fill them up in full view of the Lucha LIbre Universe?  Do they do the polite thing and fill the bag in the bathroom, then confidently strut back to their seats like Tony Manero, carrying big ol' bags of piss?  Is other people's piss sold in pre-filled bags at the concession stand next to wrestler merch?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Hello, Vice?  I'd like a pitch an episode of Dark Side of the Ring.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6