DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

12 hours ago, Infinit said:

They spparently just put out a "banned" list for Mania. Did I read this right? Is "Spear" now on the list?

I blame Shawn Spears.  And AEW. 

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

A funny one is "blown up " which seems to me is not specific to wrestling. A baseball player can be blown up going from first to third on a single, for example. 

This makes sense to me, since being "blown up" is usually a subtle (or not) critique of someone's cardio.  I don't see the term used in wrestling much except in the context of "so-and-so got blown up two minutes into the match".

I kinda wonder if "medical center" is used to discourage fans from bothering local hospitals, or has something to do with Vince's idea that wrestlers are supposed to be larger than life super-athletes.   I wouldn't be too surprised if he decided "medical center" sounded less ominous. 

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's a great point, but it also makes me think Nash was just bullshitting in the story @Ziggyis referencing. Many have referenced Taker as THE backstage presence. Hall/Nash & co. had pretty sweet deals going on down there - I have to wonder why they would want to disrupt that with Taker's presence. The only thing I could see, as others have mentioned, is just feelers sent for leverage, but I don't see a world where there are serious Undertaker to WCW talks in late '98. 

Maybe and probably bordering on likely. However, it doesn't hurt to have an ally when the company is starting to be in disarray. When the smoke clears, you wanna be the guy left standing.

Remember four or five years earlier, the first half of 1994 and the second half of 1994 looks like two completely different companies. Nash is a smart dude. I could buy him being able to anticipate the winds of change. The guy you would want in your corner is somebody who nobody would dare try to step on or get out of line with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Maybe and probably bordering on likely. However, it doesn't hurt to have an ally when the company is starting to be in disarray. When the smoke clears, you wanna be the guy left standing.

Remember four or five years earlier, the first half of 1994 and the second half of 1994 looks like two completely different companies. Nash is a smart dude. I could buy him being able to anticipate the winds of change. The guy you would want in your corner is somebody who nobody would dare try to step on or get out of line with.

Nash always seemed to have respect for Taker plus like I said earlier they probably got along well outside the ring and Undertaker was a guy I could see Nash wanted to work against in a money drawing feud and Taker is probably the only person at that time that Nash would actually put his working boots on for.

• Like 2

I want to announce a match using as many of these banned terms as possible in tribute to Vince after he passes, like I did a match full of "Gorilla-isms" with Drew Lazario in Monsoon's honor.

Of course, the biggest challenge would be to outlive Vince.

• Like 4

I doubt Vince sees AEW as competition in the traditional way. WWE's money is locked down on easy street for some time to come. 

My guess would be it annoys him that another viable company gives the "independent contractors" more independence and choices which takes some of the control away from him and also raises the wages of said performers.

Yet another downside to the Peacock switchover, you cannot stream it through the Amazon Firestick and it’s also not available through the LG App Store. I haven’t tried the PlayStation store yet, but so far I can only watch it on my iPhone or iPad. Major downgrade from the Network.

• Like 1

It's weird, I remember them using the term "medical facility" not "Medical centre", but maybe I'm thinking of something else...

As for the phrase "blown up", it may just be to keep the wrestlers from getting on Vince's bad side. Remember when Truth wound up in the dog house when he asked for a bottle of water during his gauntlet run? It looked like he was getting set for a push, and then suddenly he was on the way to becoming, well, the Truth we have now.

16 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I doubt Vince sees AEW as competition in the traditional way. WWE's money is locked down on easy street for some time to come. 

My guess would be it annoys him that another viable company gives the "independent contractors" more independence and choices which takes some of the control away from him and also raises the wages of said performers.

Problem is that IS competition in a traditional sense.

WWE is a duopoly as opposed to a monopoly. You can be happy with all the money coming in. That still doesn't mean being a monopoly isn't a goal. And Vince spent his entire promoting career hoping to be that. 

The problem right now is it's entirely new era where a company like AEW is getting TV money and when fans come back, they're going to be also getting money at the gate and from merch sales. So not only does WWE have several different revenue streams (and more on the way), another company has access to that. Twenty years ago, if the bottom fell out for a wrestling promotion in one single area, that was curtains. On top of that, there was a ton of upheaval at the corporate level WCW had no control over that also help do them in (although I'm of the opinion, once your promotion gets that bad it's hard to defend keeping it alive).

They tried to compete with AEW for young fans. It failed miserably and only exposed that WWE has no feeling for a young audience like that. However, it also showed that WWE has their audience and AEW has an audience that's still blossoming but with slow growth. Two to four years from now, that could all change. Maybe even sooner. However, right now, neither audience is going to interfere with or encroach on the business of the other. 

Moreover, what helped stunt WWF business in 92-97 (the New Generation era) is they were constantly worried about the competition. Again, some of that was Vince being extremely paranoid about being a part of a huge trial that could have brought him down. Another part of that is just an irritational fear that he was slowly being overtaken because his boom period was over. The Billionaire Ted stuff, the Nacho Man, the Hulkster, and all the potshots on commentary etc....none of that shit made money. Matter of fact, it only gave WCW more publicity. The Tony Schiavone line about putting butts in the seats or w/e was only one show. Eric spoiling Raw was only a handful of times. Vince let it be known there was another competitor for several years (again, crazy thing is a few of those years, their business was in the shitter as well), and you could tell it got under his skin. 

Vince now is at the stage of his life where he's much, much closer to the end than the beginning. Plus, he's not the end-all, be-all anymore. He is creatively still, but corporate hierarchy wise, he has to be much more mindful. It's no longer Vince and below him, his trusted and loyal associates which you could count on one hand. The crazy business tactics he would employ 35 years ago (running H2H without consulting the PPV company or trying to make PPV companies pick and choose), he cannot do anymore. Yeah, he can do NXT and AEW on the same night because it's not like USA and TNT aren't competing for the same market space. In addition, it's not like there are a bunch of stars running around that would swing the momentum. He's directly responsible for wrestling having the most talent it's ever had in ring wise, but the fewest stars in the history of the business at one time. Hell, if anything, that's probably why it makes the most sense not to try to directly compete with AEW. It's the only other place where wrestlers can apply their trade and workshop stuff on a level that's at least respectable. Impact, ROH, MLW, and Corgan's NWA are tiers below that. Japan, Mexico, and Europe are all no longer moving foreign talent through like it's the good old days. The indies went through a renaissance, but WWE conducting talent raids along with the emergence of AEW and the current pandemic has probably done a number on that (Speaking Out too). All that stuff exists, but mostly for hardcore fans who live and breathe wrestling.

They need a strong number two to at least keep them honest. And imo, I think WWE is hoping to stimulate interest in wrestling overall. If wrestling was as hot as it was in 98-99, not only would WWE be making all the TV money, but they would get all the money from what comes from having the big live events week after week. That's money they would love to make on top of what they already get now. The rich would love to get richer. Crazy concept, I know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gorman said:

I want to announce a match using as many of these banned terms as possible in tribute to Vince after he passes, like I did a match full of "Gorilla-isms" with Drew Lazario in Monsoon's honor.

Of course, the biggest challenge would be to outlive Vince.

the best tribute to Vince commentary would be to call every hold "Whatta Maneuver!" and every near fall "one two hegothimnohedidn't"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

the best tribute to Vince commentary would be to call every hold "Whatta Maneuver!" and every near fall "one two hegothimnohedidn't"

I remember a random HHH/Austin match from Buried Alive 96 where they were starting the JR heel turn. King was constantly needling JR about Vince's commentary habits.

"JR, isn't it really annoying when Vince says '1-2, he got him...oh no he didnt'! Isn't that annoying JR?!"

And the best was Austin putting HHH in a wristlock and JR calls it and tells Vince something to the effect of, "that's a wristlock not a wristwatch but you wouldn't know that".

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Well, at least that’s one TV that I can watch it on. I wonder what the dispute between them and Amazon is.

Possibly Amazon wanting too much of a percentage of the revenue.  IIRC that's why Disney+ wasn't announced for the Fire devices until just days before it went live.

No wrestler ever used a move called The Wristwatch, did they? You'd think someone would have at some point.

• Like 1

Thinking about it, it needs a location. Just "the wristwatch" doesn't work as a hold name, but "Long Island Wristwatch" absolutely does. But just about any place name works. Dusseldorf Wristwatch. Staffordshire Wristwatch. Acapulco Wristwatch. Hokkaido Wristwatch. They all work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Imagine Taker does go to WCW. Poor Glenn Jacobs.

Surely the Kane gimmick dies pretty quickly afterwards. 

Perhaps, but what about the rise of the underfaker? And Kane getting the rub by storyline killing his brother.

• Like 1

Wow, this Peacock thing is so much worse than I had anticipated. The archival stuff seems to be randomly uploaded, the interface is horrible and everywhere I look I just see ugly ass thumbnails of Edge and The Miz. Fucking awful.

• Like 2

WWE will stay at the Yuengling Centre up to Aug the 3rd,  live fans will not be permitted to attend episodes of Raw, SmackDown or pay-per-views.

Edited by D.Z
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1