DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2021 - Top Half

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Yearly shout out to watch the documentary Knuckleball. And after that, why not watch the Battered Bastards of Baseball again because it rules.

I just watched Battered Bastards last week after it sat in my watchlist for like 3 years. Highest, highest recommendation. Holy crap was that a great story

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, elizium said:

I just watched Battered Bastards last week after it sat in my watchlist for like 3 years. Highest, highest recommendation. Holy crap was that a great story

I think it's maybe my favorite documentary. I vaguely knew Kurt Russell's dad was into baseball, but I didn't know to what extent. I also love the music in the documentary. I wound up buying the album from itunes. 

So remember how the D-backs set an MLB record for consecutive road losses?

Yeah - they might not even hold that record for a month

The Os lost their 20 straight road game last night.

If the Jays finish out the sweep - Baltimore will tie the record Arizona just set.

Oh and then they immediately go to Houston

On 6/22/2021 at 7:56 PM, sabremike said:

They are going to have to institute a rule where if a manager asks an ump to do a check and the umps find nothing the manager gets tossed.

I'm not sure that's strong enough. Who cares if you get ejected for wrongly accusing someone late in a game? Nah, gotta make it really hurt. Like, be wrong twice and you sit for 20 games. 

And Girardi deserves a suspension for being a clown especially with his little man fake toughness. 

• Like 2

Mike Soroka's career potentially could be over as he tore his Achilles a second time (recovery from repeated Achilles tears are extremely rare)

The earliest he would be back would be the start of the 2022 season and that seems really really unlikely

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Fucking hell, that Josh Naylor injury was something else. Poor guy. That's gonna be a long road for him. 

Officially diagnosed with a closed fracture and dislocation of his right ankle

Oh and the Mariners Hector Santiago was the first player ejected from a game with the new crackdown on foreign substances

Both Santiago and Ms manager Scott Servais say it was just rosin (which is still allowed). The umps obviously disagreed

If it is deemed to not be rosin, Santiago will be subject to the new 10 game suspension. 

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Miami is trading OF Corey Dickerson & Adam Cimber to Toronto for Joe Panik & a PTBNL

How good is Cimber? I know Dickerson, when healthy has a good bat and a pretty good glove. 

19 minutes ago, Infinit said:

How good is Cimber? I know Dickerson, when healthy has a good bat and a pretty good glove. 

Note that Dickerson is currently injured and in a walking boot

In regards to Cimber - stealing from Trade Rumors

While Dickerson is the more recognizable name of the two going back to the Jays in this deal, Cimber is perhaps the key piece of this trade for the Blue Jays. The 30-year-old sidearmer has pitched in 34 1/3 innings so far with the Marlins and notched a 2.88 ERA — albeit primarily in low-leverage situations.

Cimber doesn’t miss many bats, but that’s often the case with sidearm and submarine pitchers. He’s posted just a 15.9 percent strikeout rate so far in 2021 — about nine percent lower than league-average — but also sports better-than-average walk and ground-ball percentages (7.9 and 49.5, respectively). He rarely gives up premium contact, sitting in the 81st percentile of MLB pitchers in terms of opponents’ average exit velocity and the 96th percentile in terms of opponents’ barrel rate, per Statcast.

For his career, Cimber has been far more effective against righties than lefties, but he’s been an absolute nightmare for left-handed opponents so far in 2021. It’s a sample of just 55 plate appearances, so the small-sample caveat certainly applies, but left-handed opponents have posted just a .196/.327/.283 slash against him. Right-handers, meanwhile, are slashing .269/.329/.333 against him.

Dickerson is a free agent at season’s end, so he’s a pure rental for the Blue Jays whenever he’s able to return to the field. Cimber, on the other hand, is controllable via arbitration through the 2024 season. He’s playing the current year on a $925K salary after avoiding arbitration as a Super Two player over the winter and will have three more trips through the arb process before he qualifies as a free agent. His inclusion in the deal gives the Jays a reliever with a career 3.69 ERA and 4.01 SIERA both for the remainder of the 2021 season and perhaps for multiple years to come.

• Thanks 1

Interesting tidbits from this

A) Apparently while you are allowed to rosin - you aren't allowed to have it on the side of your glove (which Santiago admitted he did)

B) Per the ESPN article

The glove was sent to New York, but sources said it wasn't necessary to further inspect it as the ejection and suspension are solely based on the umpires' report of having detected a foreign substance.

The rules state the umpire will be the "sole judge" on whether any portion of the foreign substance rule has been violated.

Yeah... I can easily see B becoming a big issue