DVDVR Message Board

Your wrestling HOT TAKES

A.M.B.

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

While this is right, I often see people take "the babyface is a bit of a shithead" and take that to a point where in their mind they decide the shithead babyface's villainous adversary is actually a good guy. Which is just hard for me to wrap my mind around. 

Everyone always got Hogan's character wrong because they saw him cheating. The honest response to that was always that he actually watched the show and knew Bobby Heenan would attack from behind if he could and Earthquake would try to cripple you so Hogan wasn't so stupid to think they'd stop cheating when they got to him.  Hogan is the anti-Sting smart babyface and people took it to mean he was a "bad guy" character.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Goodear said:

In continuity, Hogan was just being a friend to Elizabeth and actually saw her as a person with value and her own agency. Savage came to treat her as a posession (clearly a throwback to his initial heel run) and became so insanely jealous of Elizabeth having a friend that he insanely thought there must have been something romantically happening between Hulk and Liz because he couldn't understand the alternative. 

It's wild to think about the perception of all this through the years.  At the time myself and many others were behind Hogan in the feud so there was a bit of blind faith in him.  Then as people found out more about his behind-the-scenes stuff the perception changed with a lot of people especially the hardcores.  Kind of makes me wonder if Hogan didn't prove to be a IRL shithead how much people would be so quick to  bag on him for this.

As for the angle itself I'm not mad at how one interprets it.  One may think he's right but due to how territorial he was I can see why people would go with Hogan.  It goes to show how even for the cartoon that late 80s WWF was that it could have an angle that just plain works.

• Like 1

Hogan-Savage is a year long epic storyline done right. One of the absolute highlights of professional wrestling storylines with a definitive beginning, middle and end where the principles are always acting in character and takes you flawlessly from Wrestlemania IV to V as one complete arc. It's amazing. You are correct that people now have an understandable motive to say Hogan was a bad worker because he's a bad person but Lord, what an angle the Megapowers Exploding was. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hogan would do petty heelish shit all the time (see the Sid elimination at RR '92), so let's not try to rehabilitate his character as simply a smart babyface. 

He was, in fact, a dick when it came to his character. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DangerMark said:

Yano, for all his supposed amateur pedigree was abysmal as a serious wrestler. 

Yeah, it is so bizarre to see Yano go from teaming with Iizuka as a brawling duo to a master of chicanery.

I always love it when Yano gets matched up one on one with his stable mates. There is no reason Ishii or Goto should fall for his BS, so they don't. Yet it puts him at an advantage against guys like Moxley or Tanahashi. The perfect spoiler. 

51 minutes ago, zendragon said:

On the subject of Hogan, I kinda feel that people have been dumping on him for so long that he's kinda come full circle and is kinda underrated inring 

Hogan could be very good in ring when he wanted to be. He has genuinely had some of the most enthralling matches in history.  He was very athletic for such a big guy and was very capable in ring. He just never motivated enough to put it together that often.

There’s an alternate universe out there where Vince is in a bad mood the day he first sees Hogan and passes on him.  Hogan then goes to Japan on a much more regular basis has a much better catalogue of matches and doesn’t become a gigantic shithead.

• Like 3

At least at DVDVR, Hogan is rated pretty properly. Besides anything from Japan where he worked harder, he has good stuff stateside like the brawls with Slaughter. 

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Hogan could be very good in ring when he wanted to be. He has genuinely had some of the most enthralling matches in history.  He was very athletic for such a big guy and was very capable in ring. He just never motivated enough to put it together that often.

There’s an alternate universe out there where Vince is in a bad mood the day he first sees Hogan and passes on him.  Hogan then goes to Japan on a much more regular basis has a much better catalogue of matches and doesn’t become a gigantic shithead.

But if he was flying to Japan and back even more, he'd be four or five years older by now, because of the time travel. 1983 was 500 days long and all that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Hogan was a solid guy for his size when he wanted to be but that’s been sold for more than its worth over the years. There were alot of guys who were solid when they wanted to be and they wanted to be solid all the time, not 3 times a year. So fuck Hogan.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Goodear said:

In continuity, Hogan was just being a friend to Elizabeth and actually saw her as a person with value and her own agency. Savage came to treat her as a posession (clearly a throwback to his initial heel run) and became so insanely jealous of Elizabeth having a friend that he insanely thought there must have been something romantically happening between Hulk and Liz because he couldn't understand the alternative. had lust in his eyes.

Fixed. ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

8 hours ago, Goodear said:

In continuity, Hogan was just being a friend to Elizabeth and actually saw her as a person with value and her own agency. Savage came to treat her as a posession (clearly a throwback to his initial heel run) and became so insanely jealous of Elizabeth having a friend that he insanely thought there must have been something romantically happening between Hulk and Liz because he couldn't understand the alternative. 

You could say Hogan was a pioneering feminist.

Fred Blassie was better than Lou Thesz and The Destroyer. I came to this opinion from a DVD put out of Rikidozan against the three of them by NTV. Blassie had heel heat and the highest workrate. Destroyer was comedic and Thesz was way more boring than Fred. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ka-to said:

Fred Blassie was better than Lou Thesz and The Destroyer. I came to this opinion from a DVD put out of Rikidozan against the three of them by NTV. Blassie had heel heat and the highest workrate. Destroyer was comedic and Thesz was way more boring than Fred. 

If I was a heel in wrestling today I'd be straight ripping off Blassie. Tubi has a couple of 50's wrestling comps up and he's magnificent 

18 hours ago, Goodear said:

Bullshit.  Hogan left Savage to get his ass beat in a 2-on-one with the Twin Towers, and was sitting next to Elizabeth's bed holding her hand and crying because she fell down.  Hogan wasn't treating her like a person with her own agency, he was treating her like a porcelain doll who couldn't possibly be strong enough to handle a little boo boo.  Not only that, Hogan isn't a fucking doctor, nurse, athletic trainer, or anything else.  There are professionals there to take care of her, instead he decides that it's up to him to take care of Elizabeth.  Seriously, who was hurt worse, Elizabeth or Savage?  And who did Hogan have more of a responsibility to help, Elizabeth or Savage?  

• Like 5

12 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Rikidozan was a no-sellin' mother trucker.

- RAF

On the other hand, his stiff chops work perfectly with Blassie's jelly-legged wobbling. 

• Like 1

Is this a hot take?  Bam Bam Bigelow's gear sucked and did him no favors.  He was a legit big dude but that gear caused some freaky  optical illusion that made him always look smaller than he was.  I just watched him and Vader vs the Steiners and even though Wikipedia says Bigelow was only one inch shorter than Vader, he looked so much smaller than that and I attribute it to his gear.  Vince bundled him up 95% covered in fabric so, with his build, he ended up looking like a fat little bumblebee, wide as he was tall.  And he had boots so small that Roderick Strong would be like, "damn, bro, get some higher boots." 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4