DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite (3/31/21)

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

I am confused what would they be called except Legos?  I mean maybe there are other brands of those things but none that is relatable like Legos

"Lego brand bricks", I would expect. No company wants its trademarked terms being used as generic nouns, out of fear of losing their trademark.

Dug the hell out of this. AEW is just fun to watch for me. Christian vs Kazarian was great and I really hope Frankie gets some big time success while he's still relatively young (isn't he like 39 or 40?). The Inner Circle return and beatdown was great and really makes me wanna see a Wargames between the 2 teams. Main event was fun too, though I was hoping it would lead to Miro freaking out and destroying Sabian because he lost (which I suppose they could do next week)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

Dug the hell out of this. AEW is just fun to watch for me. Christian vs Kazarian was great and I really hope Frankie gets some big time success while he's still relatively young (isn't he like 39 or 40?). The Inner Circle return and beatdown was great and really makes me wanna see a Wargames between the 2 teams. Main event was fun too, though I was hoping it would lead to Miro freaking out and destroying Sabian because he lost (which I suppose they could do next week)

I'm really big on Frankie. If love to see him in the TNT scene as a Larry Z grizzled veteran. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DEAN said:

I don't think anybody has mentioned that Laredo Kid did the fucking craziest tope of 2021 last night.  I swear he came like two inches from crushing his skull.

There is also not enough love for Penelope Ford for eating Kris Statlander's finisher off of the ring apron and straight through an air hockey table.

This is the move Kris decides to hit after being out for months with a knee injury....  What the fuck, Kris?

Laredo Kid, Kris Statlander and Penelope Ford are fucking crazy.   I love them all.

Honorable mention to Kenny Omega for taking that sick M-Driver from Laredo Kid in the Trios match and landing directly on his head..  I am surprised no one was legit KTFOed.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, J.T. said:

There is also not enough love for Penelope Ford for eating Kris Statlander's finisher off of the ring apron and straight through an air hockey table.

Happy times I miss playing air hockey tables with my parents and sis'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That is kinda messed up; the first thing you do coming off a knee injury is take a bump through a table with somebody. Wrestlers.

I know...

WASN'T IT GREAT~???

• Haha 3

That was really fun wasn’t it. A QT Marshall angle and it was good! I’m hoping it’s more of a vehicle for the younger guys and he fades into a coach role, but either way that was a good start. It almost had a vibe of the Nexus debut, with the young guys breaking out unexpectedly with a violent beat down.

Most promising thing from the Inner Circle/Pinnacle angle for me is the prospect of Santana/Ortiz as faces, thing they could be really fun as shit-talking ass kickers.

Really fun main, I enjoy these main event blow offs for mid card angles, everyone came out looking good and a nice feel-good ending. Having actual decent music always adds something extra in wrestling, rather than the shitty metal fare that tends to be the norm.

A couple of previous comments mentioned that it’d be a mistake to turn the Bucks heel. Why? What am I missing?

The Bucks aren’t likeable face characters (moreso because of Matt’s dreadful acting, Nick is pretty inoffensive). I think there’s more interesting match-ups on the face side  for them beyond the PAC/Fenix match (Jurassic Express, Best Friends, Silver/Reynolds, face Santana/Ortiz, Mox/King). Plus, it always felt like the Bucks were the dicks in the early Hangman story, although they muddied it a bit around the FTR angle. Having them aligned with Kenny would make more sense to me if they are gonna bring the Hangman story full circle.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kev said:

That was really fun wasn’t it. A QT Marshall angle and it was good! I’m hoping it’s more of a vehicle for the younger guys and he fades into a coach role, but either way that was a good start. It almost had a vibe of the Nexus debut, with the young guys breaking out unexpectedly with a violent beat down.

Yeah, I normally rebel against workers that are pushed to the moon in a futile effort to get them over (*cough* Shawn Spears *cough*), but I can't help but dig the evolution of QT Marshall from overpushed baby face to the Svengali of the heel Nightmare Factory trainees.  Now AEW has not one, but two stable vs. stable blood feuds going on that could generate some interesting matches.

Maybe three if Big Money Productions and Dark Order start beefing.  If that's going to happen, Matt needs more people.  I don't like Butcher & Blade's chances against Stu and Uno, much less Reynolds and Silver.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, Kev said:

A couple of previous comments mentioned that it’d be a mistake to turn the Bucks heel. Why? What am I missing?

I think it'd be a mistake because the AEW's fanboy live crowds wouldn't boo them. I also don't believe they'd change their working style either to help the turn. Superkick Parties are an extremely babyface thing.

4 hours ago, Kev said:

I like them as heels so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they turned.  But while a lot of their stories are pretty damn great this one just seems like a mess.  They've been wishy-washy on a heel turn since they ditched Hangman and the FTR feud only made things worse.  Now you have something that happened on BTE recently where Matt realizes he made a mistake with Hangman and is considering talking to him.  And that's on top of the "will they or won't they" stuff they're doing on Dynamite.  So at some point they need to get their story straight and fully plant them either on the face or heel side.  I love everybody involved so hopefully it won't be long before this gets sorted out.

1 hour ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I think it'd be a mistake because the AEW's fanboy live crowds wouldn't boo them. I also don't believe they'd change their working style either to help the turn. Superkick Parties are an extremely babyface thing.

I think Cody's gonna get booed when crowds go fully live.  I could see the Bucks booed vs Best Friends or Silver/Reynolds.

I don't think this is a problem though- tweener characters are fine as long as they keep getting reactions and make sense.  A NJPW-style sliding scale is more interesting to me than straight cheer the babyfaces and boo the heels.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I don’t think this would be an issue, the same argument could pretty much apply to Omega and they’ve made him their lead heel. I think as long as they’re positioned against likeable/over faces then their opponents will get cheered. Plus, with Cody’s talk of foregoing traditional face/heel dynamics I wouldn’t expect split crowd reactions to concern them.

18 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like them as heels so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they turned.  But while a lot of their stories are pretty damn great this one just seems like a mess.  They've been wishy-washy on a heel turn since they ditched Hangman and the FTR feud only made things worse...

Yeah, I think their booking has been a bit of a mess for about a year and that’s partly because they didn’t commit to a heel turn, they’ve spent a lot of time being not very likeable and there hasn’t really been a payoff/redemption to justify that. The Bucks stay face again and go up against The Good Brothers feels like a really underwhelming direction to go in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Most promising thing from the Inner Circle/Pinnacle angle for me is the prospect of Santana/Ortiz as faces, thing they could be really fun as shit-talking ass kickers.

Really fun main, I enjoy these main event blow offs for mid card angles, everyone came out looking good and a nice feel-good ending. Having actual decent music always adds something extra in wrestling, rather than the shitty metal fare that tends to be the norm.

The Bucks aren’t likeable face characters (moreso because of Matt’s dreadful acting, Nick is pretty inoffensive). I think there’s more interesting match-ups on the face side  for them beyond the PAC/Fenix match (Jurassic Express, Best Friends, Silver/Reynolds, face Santana/Ortiz, Mox/King). Plus, it always felt like the Bucks were the dicks in the early Hangman story, although they muddied it a bit around the FTR angle. Having them aligned with Kenny would make more sense to me if they are gonna bring the Hangman story full circle.

Agree with all of these points. Also felt the Nexus vibes. My only issue with that 'exhibition' was how lame QT looked with literally every move getting stuffed by Cody & Cody having QT at his utter mercy but refusing to pull the trigger. QT basically just looked like Cody's bitch.

Hard to tell, but Jericho looked a bit slimmer too. Would be great if he'd let himself go a bit to feed into MJF's portrayal of him being over the hill .. but returns in somewhat decent shape. Shouldn't be too hard for him to cut the weight within a few weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A_K said:

My only issue with that 'exhibition' was how lame QT looked with literally every move getting stuffed by Cody & Cody having QT at his utter mercy but refusing to pull the trigger. QT basically just looked like Cody's bitch.

I had no issue with this, partly because I’ve got no interest in QT being presented as any kind of major threat, but it also plays into the story being told. QT is a ‘never was’ who’s not on Cody’s level and is only in this position because he’s his right hand man.

Now he’s jealous but he can’t beat Cody, so he uses the advantage he does have - he’s a good coach with loyal students - and uses it against Cody. It’s actually a good setup for a heel manager and he could even bring in more guys down the line.

• Like 1

I'd be all for QT as Paul Jones leading a band of rogues hellbent on crushing Boogie Woogie Cody Rhodes.

EDIT: OMG I CAN'T WAIT FOR CODY TO PROCLAIM LEE JOHNSON AS THE BEST BLACK ATHLETE IN THE WORLD ???

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I had no issue with this, partly because I’ve got no interest in QT being presented as any kind of major threat, but it also plays into the story being told. QT is a ‘never was’ who’s not on Cody’s level and is only in this position because he’s his right hand man.

Now he’s jealous but he can’t beat Cody, so he uses the advantage he does have - he’s a good coach with loyal students - and uses it against Cody. It’s actually a good setup for a heel manager and he could even bring in more guys down the line.

Yeah I get that but in a promotion where jobbers often go toe to toe for large portions of the bout with main eventers, it was a bit too on the nose given QTs respective status. Get that Cody is presented as being on another level but the gap would not be that big; would be nice to see QT getting some good offense before Cody takes control of proceedings.