DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite (3/31/21)

Who was expecting Cage and Kaz to just light each other up with stiff shots like that?

Ogogo having difficulty undoing his cuff was pretty funny.

JR referencing Bononi's American Football career in Brazil  should be "finish your beer" in the AEW drinking game. Best Bononi has looked so far, I'd say.

Team Taz doing a promo without interrupting Sting was refreshing. 

6-Man was a very AEW-style match. To their credit, Good Brothers fit into the go-go-go action very well this time out. Bux & Mox vs. Kenneth & the GBs could be excellent. Looking forward to that.

DARBY vs DRAKE!! Yes, please!!!

w/r/t the women's tag, I though that it was refreshing to have the Hardy Family vs Dark Order brawl mid-match rather than going with a run-in.

Mammals are animals. There was no need to angrily correct that. Luchasaurus being mad about the Kong tattoo was pretty  funny. 

I really did mark out for Where is My Mind?

I think that was the best Kip has looked in AEW.

Loved that whole sequence from the Stratlander return through the sick bump Cassidy took on that Beal, Miro going APE, SUE!!!! and Trent's return. If I'm gonna nit-pick it would have been better if the heels had been a man up before Trent ran in. I could see the faces winning with a 4-on-3 advantage bugging some people. 

Almost every match and segment on this show exceeded my expectations in one way or another, particularly the Pinnacle sketch turning into a bloody brawl. 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 4

The opener was the peak for me on the night as far as in-ring action went. Everything meant something and both Kaz and Christian were ruling shit out there which was evidenced by other spots the rest of the night. There was a spot where Kaz was trying to do something to Christian after the latter had just been placed on the top turnbuckle. In it, he puts Christian's legs on the outside of the ropes but punches him before trying to move the next limb. Later on, sadly, Moxley is putting someone who should have been a job guy (his team are some of my boys, to be clear) on the top turnbuckle and Bononi has to sit there like a goof while Moxley puts his legs in position to do a move. 

The Inner Circle return was... okay. I would have kept them all off TV for at least another week. Also, how long was the Inner Circle waiting in the bathroom? Were the lights also turned on? I can't remember. If someone had to turn on the lights too that meant that the Inner Circle was hanging out in a dark bathroom for who knows how long. 

This is a weekly refrain but CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HAVE A FULL INTERVIEW SEGMENT WITHOUT BEING INTERRUPTED FOR THE LOVE OF GOD and it's becoming more obvious by the week that the Bucks can't talk. Only one ever really gets mic time and even tonight he just stood there and listened to Don Callis talk shit for a while. 

The main event was also... okay. If the mission was to put over Miro as a beast then they did but his team still lost. Kip sold like death for going through some foam board and someone banging a cushioned mallet onto said foam board. He made up for it later by diving through the opening on the whack-a-mole that had thwarted him before. That MKII machine was hilarious. All that could have made it funnier was if it fell apart in Miro's hands. Finally. it was cool to see Trent come back to help fight off Frieza but we didn't need more goddamn minivan bullshit. I hope Mama Baretta gets a trip to the pay windah for this. Legos. Fuck. 

(how did no one go for the barbed wire on the prize board setup?)

Christian looked great. Very good way to start the show. Did way more in that match than I was expecting. Got a little worried on the shakey backdrop counter, but everything else was good. My dude looked SWEATY at the end of this thing. Commentary did a good job selling Kaz's chickenwing, and I almost bit in it as a finish in this match. Well done.

I should hate everything about Darby's ridiculous self, but I buy it all coming from him. I call other people phony, but I really do believe he's the sort of person who thinks that video is a thing he should be doing.

Jade package was good again. More squashes for her please.

I said it a few times already, and I'll say it again: I'm into this QT story. It'd be even better if he was presented as Cody's guy from literally day one. But this was executed well. The Codypowers Collide! And I get to see more Nick Coromoto, which is a plus. He looks good. Have they lifted those steps before? I can't remember.

Hopefully the Codypowers Collide in the first ever Blood & Guts. It's the match the Codyience wants. 

Sounded like Red Velvet got destroyed on that toss. I think Jade's heel might be a work.

So how long were Jericho and the gang hanging out in the bathroom? If they wanted MJF's head in there, why wasn't the bowl fully loaded? Inquiring minds want to know. Dax got bloody on that one though, which ruled.

Of course Matt stood there like a chump and just ate shit from Callis. What a dork.

Six-man was good aside from them jumping the gun at the beginning and everyone standing around waiting for the dives. I'm not a Gallows and Anderson hater like some, so this was fine for me. The rope-run kick into the Michinoku driver ruled and would have been a good finish. Callis is a great commentator for Omega. Loved little things like him talking about how people who need to lay things in on luchadores or pointing out how Kenny floated right from one of his knee's into a pin. As shit as Omega's overall presentation is, Callis knows his business. 

Glad we're finally getting some progress with this Bucks-Omega business. Six-man next week should be good.

As far as overbaked wrestling moves go, Tay Conti's TayKO deal is cool. 

Tying promotion for the newest Warner blockbuster into Jurassic Express vs Bear Country is hilarious. Bad promos by all. If Jungle Boy is gonna find a voice, it's not going to be doing this. 

Main event was another fun enough blow-off for a Best Friends feud that's been wall-to-wall garbage. Some of the fakest gimmick stuff though. That air hockey table was atrocious. JR boomer-soonering his pants over Trent's body was great. The reveal of Statlander was fun and unexpected, if stupid and illogical. She drilled Ford, which was great. Miro looked great. The Pixies played so well over the post-match celebration for the Best Friends and their supporting characters.

Has anyone gotten physical with Aubrey before? That caught me off guard. I know Jericho's gotten in her face. I think maybe MJF did something before.

Pretty good show. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Cody had that shit coming. Paging the “Justified Heel Actions” thread, because that was fantastic execution.

Yeah, fuck Cody for trying to help new guys and his friends up the ladder. Fuck him for trying to help the business by raising everyone's level. Cody's such a bad person.

15 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Ogogo having difficulty undoing his cuff was pretty funny.

Oh yeah, that was the best. Eventually it's like, come on just punch him dude! We're burning daylight!

• Like 1

I fucking loved that main event. So many call backs. We all have opinions on styles and work rate and characters and such, and that's mostly subjective and based on opinion. But the true answer to being the WWE alternative is remember shit that happened months ago, and using it to bring things forward in the now. Stalander's return was a amazing coming out of the UFO game. Trent's mom, the van, the Scott Hall debuts on Nitro denim outfit, Trent's return. Them remembering Statlander & Orange had a angle beginning about the boop. That music over that ending with the 4 of them hugging and Trent's mom honking the horn. My god. One of the best endings of a wrestling show in a while. (Well I guess only since two weeks ago when Pinnacle's ending beat down was phenomenal as well).

Loved Christian working a Christian match. We can get nit picky and debate of a a guy that big of a deal going that long with Kaz was a good idea. But regardless that style match was refreshing.

The Cody / QT segment was effective and felt like a big deal. I know QT and the rest of those guys aren't a big deal. But it was a really simplistic and well executed angle.

The six man tag was fucking bonkers. Really liked it for what it was. Legit action movie / car crash non stop adrenaline rush. It didn't have much selling. And it would benefit from slowing down a gear and letting shit sink in. But you can't deny some of those moves are just ridiculous.

Thumbs up from me tonight.

• Like 7

Christian/Kazarian was great stuff, loved it. Always dig when Kaz busts out the Flux Capacitor. Definitely looking forward to Christian's run here, amazing to see him back at this level after so long off. Ryan Nemeth out there so Moxley could come through on his promise that someone would get dropped on their head and someone would get choked out. Really liked the Darby video. Totally down with Darby vs Big Money Matt for the TNT.  Dug the Inner Circle return and brawl with the Pinnacle. Enjoyed the women's tag, I like Hikaru & Tay together. Another solid Kenny trios tag. Thought the main event was a blast and a lot of fun as others have said. Nice surprise return for Kris Stat, and Trent who I thought was going to be out for awhile longer, good to see them all back together. Also thought OC's new theme worked perfectly and added to things coming off like a bigger deal. Good fun show.

• Like 3

That was my favourite episode of wrestling tv i've seen in forever. Everything hit and hit hard. Three great matches. I fucking LOVED the QT angle. A money Mox promo. Good competitive squash of sorts. Really enjoyed the Callis stuff. Jade beat the piss outta Velvet. Godzilla vs. Kong match, lol! And that main event was so fucking great. They made Miro look like a killer, had two great babyface surprise returns, Sue, and for the first time in forever it made sense for the babyfaces to outnumber the heels because Miro is a killer. The show goes off the air with Sue celebrating as the Pixies play. Life don't get much better than that. I adored all of this. Even the very so so women's tag had the fun chaotic brawl.

edit: I FORGOT THEM SETTING UP BLOOD & GUTS WITH ANOTHER GREAT BLOODY ANGLE. TWO JUICES ON THE SHOW. While I didn't love the wwe camera fuckery during the angle, it otherwise ruled. We even got the chair leg setup for a cage match of sorts. This company loves its history and callbacks.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

One of the best endings of a wrestling show in a while. (Well I guess only since two weeks ago when Pinnacle's ending beat down was phenomenal as well).

That was three weeks ago. Two weeks ago was Baker vs Rosa, which made for a pretty good ending too.

• Thanks 1

I’m glad people are jumping on the QT bandwagon. I liked him when he was just a jobber with a dadbod doing cartwheel back flips over the ropes to pops from live Dark crowds. And it’s worth noting that in the lead up to Double or Nothing and some of the other PPVs pre-Dynamite debut, QT was most definitely bigged up as Cody’s right hand man.

• Like 1

Just now, John from Cincinnati said:

If you told me that Tony was secretly trying to wind-up JR during that match, I'd believe you.

I'm so glad Tony cut off JR's "Oh my gawd, not lego" bullshit. Tony pulled off one of his best performances to date during that match because he's a nerd and a dad in the '90s. Bless him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I'm so glad Tony cut off JR's "Oh my gawd, not lego" bullshit. Tony pulled off one of his best performances to date during that match because he's a nerd and a dad in the '90s. Bless him.

I’m shocked they actually called them Legos. I expect AEW to get a cease and desist any day now, and then the Young Bucks to make another shirt out of it.

Speaking of - Statlander’s new shirt is great and will surely please the boomers on this board.

4 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Shit great point. 3 out of the last 4 endings have been top tier god segments to me. That's a hell of a run.

And all of it away from the world title scene. Honestly not sure I’ve ever continuously enjoyed the main event slot the way I have with AEW this month. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

What a fun show! That’s the word isn’t it? This company is fun to watch.

Goddam yes!  Another really fun show!  And I forgot that Christian rules.

• Like 5

The Inner Circle/Pinnacle brawl was the best cinematic match ever so far. Only complaint is that Tully was right there to get his eye spiked with the wood but Dax or whoever the bald one is was already bleeding outside. Nice callback to the I Quit match though. 

The main was really fucking fun. Miro luckily did not take the pin and destroyed everyone the whole time. 

Dunno if we need even MORE factions -- it seems like every single signed talent is either in a faction or a tag team now. It's the exact opposite of Vince's loner aesthetic. Even the actual loner talents, Darby and Moxley, have besties now. I... I don't know how to fix it. Oh well. 

Missed the first 30 so I guess I gotta go back and watch those two stiff each other now

• Like 1

If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the past several years, it’s that wrestlers with significant concussion histories fucking LOVE to sell like they just got another one.  I mean, they just really, perversely enjoy that.

• Like 5