DVDVR Message Board

YOUR CURRENT TOP TEN WOMAN WRESTLERS

DEAN

I watch a lot of Joshi but don't let that stop you from listing who your current top ten ladies wrestlers.

10.  Queen Aminata- Wrestles for Thunder Rosa's Mission Pro and other indies.  Tall, works stiff, her offense is all dynamic.

9. Toni Storm- NXT.  A great all around wrestler who should have gotten the belt already.

8. Asuka- WWE Raw. I love the mean streak she has gotten back after being de-toothed.   Would be higher but WWE booking is horrible.

7. Maki Ito- Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling,  Perfectly fine in the ring but I love watching her get herself over internationally.

6. Himeka- World Wonder Ring Stardom.  Reminds me of Barry Windham (but not nearly as good) and is the wrestler I look forward seeing the most in Stardom.

5. Arisa Nakajima- SEAdLINNNG.  Is the Tomohiro Ishii of SEAdLINNNG.  She will punch you dead in the face.

4. Utami Hayashashita-  World Wonder Ring Stardom.  Stardom has better workers but I dig her title reign.  She can sell.

3. Dr Britt Baker- All Elite Wrestling.  She's good in the ring and great on the stick.  It was fun watching her get over and become a hardcore legend the last year.

2. Giulia- World Wonder Ring Stardom.  She is the closest thing to Ric Flair in current Joshi,  Great heel champ who should have shaved Tam Nakano's head.

1. Ryo Mizunami-  All Elite Wrestling.  She was kinda in Joshi Wrestling Purgatory until she got the AEW gig.  She has been carrying EVERYBODY to good matches for a while now.

ON THE WAY UP: Chihiro Hashimoto, Maika, Thunder Rosa.

• Like 7

Asuka (KANA) - Local girl makes good

Lulu Pencil - My favourite current character in all of pro wrestling

Baker & Rosa - That was one hell of a match

Giulia - After Lulu Pencil, the wrestler I'd most like to see in AEW

Mizunami - AEW has a real knack for taking wrestlers from "off my radar" and moving them straight into "can't wait to see them again." This is the latest example of that.

Tay Conti - Just keeps getting better

Jaguar and Kyoko - Still kicking all kinds of ass for DIANA

Takumi Iroha - Kind of surprised she didn't make your list @DEAN .

Haven't heard much out of Marvelous or DIANA lately, though.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
Had to look up Iroha
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I watch a lot of Joshi but don't let that stop you from listing who your current top ten ladies wrestlers.

10.  Queen Aminata- Wrestles for Thunder Rosa's Mission Pro and other indies.  Tall, works stiff, her offense is all dynamic.

9. Toni Storm- NXT.  A great all around wrestler who should have gotten the belt already.

8. Asuka- WWE Raw. I love the mean streak she has gotten back after being de-toothed.   Would be higher but WWE booking is horrible.

7. Maki Ito- Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling,  Perfectly fine in the ring but I love watching her get herself over internationally.

6. Himeka- World Wonder Ring Stardom.  Reminds me of Barry Windham (but not nearly as good) and is the wrestler I look forward seeing the most in Stardom.

5. Arisa Nakajima- SEAdLINNNG.  Is the Tomohiro Ishii of SEAdLINNNG.  She will punch you dead in the face.

4. Utami Hayashashita-  World Wonder Ring Stardom.  Stardom has better workers but I dig her title reign.  She can sell.

3. Dr Britt Baker- All Elite Wrestling.  She's good in the ring and great on the stick.  It was fun watching her get over and become a hardcore legend the last year.

2. Giulia- World Wonder Ring Stardom.  She is the closest thing to Ric Flair in current Joshi,  Great heel champ who should have shaved Tam Nakano's head.

1. Ryo Mizunami-  All Elite Wrestling.  She was kinda in Joshi Wrestling Purgatory until she got the AEW gig.  She has been carrying EVERYBODY to good matches for a while now.

ON THE WAY UP: Chihiro Hashimoto, Maika, Thunder Rosa.

Interesting... We're usually pretty close on this stuff, but there's a few spots that I'd debate...  As an example, Asuka, even the de-fanged version we have in WWE is still top-5 in the world. 

Either you're seeing something that I'm missing completely in Himeka, or I'm giving her opponents too much credit. She has a bunch of nice matches with Takase, (both as a partner and as an opponent), but I'd make the point that it's pretty hard to NOT have a good match with Takase, she's just one of those people who makes everyone around her better. That said, I have nothing but respect for a woman who proudly carries the nickname of "Jumbo". Still, I think she's sort of the Sting of modern joshi; in that it is to say no better or worse than whoever she's working with.  Eminently carriable, but not at the point of taking the ring general role herself (close, but not quite there yet).

I was going to say that the lovely and talented Dr. Baker should be higher, but there are legit reasons to rank her behind Ryo and Giulia. On the other hand, I think you've got Utami taking the spot that belongs to Asuka, which would then leave the #8 spot open for Thunder Rosa, who has been quite impressive of late.

I don't know what to make of Maki Ito, it  just seems like there's something missing that I can't quite articulate what it is. Maybe I need to watch more of her work.

You really need to make room for Abadon, if I had to make a major change it would probably be bumping Arisa off the list entirely. Maybe I'm being cranky but not only do I think that Nakajima is way too high at #5, I'd be inclined to say that she doesn't really belong in the top ten at all. I think there are several ladies who are better representatives of the sport than Maki Ito or Queen Amanita. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Takumi Iroha - Kind of surprised she didn't make your list @DEAN .

Well she would prolly be my number one but she's hurt.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Interesting... We're usually pretty close on this stuff, but there's a few spots that I'd debate...  As an example, Asuka, even the de-fanged version we have in WWE is still top-5 in the world. 

Either you're seeing something that I'm missing completely in Himeka, or I'm giving her opponents too much credit. She has a bunch of nice matches with Takase, (both as a partner and as an opponent), but I'd make the point that it's pretty hard to NOT have a good match with Takase, she's just one of those people who makes everyone around her better. That said, I have nothing but respect for a woman who proudly carries the nickname of "Jumbo". Still, I think she's sort of the Sting of modern joshi; in that it is to say no better or worse than whoever she's working with.  Eminently carriable, but not at the point of taking the ring general role herself (close, but not quite there yet).

I was going to say that the lovely and talented Dr. Baker should be higher, but there are legit reasons to rank her behind Ryo and Giulia. On the other hand, I think you've got Utami taking the spot that belongs to Asuka, which would then leave the #8 spot open for Thunder Rosa, who has been quite impressive of late.

I don't know what to make of Maki Ito, it  just seems like there's something missing that I can't quite articulate what it is. Maybe I need to watch more of her work.

You really need to make room for Abadon, if I had to make a major change it would probably be bumping Arisa off the list entirely. Maybe I'm being cranky but not only do I think that Nakajima is way too high at #5, I'd be inclined to say that she doesn't really belong in the top ten at all. I think there are several ladies who are better representatives of the sport than Maki Ito or Queen Amanita. 

Hey John, I didn't know you watched current joshi?  Awesome!

21 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Havent heard much out of Marvelous or DIANA lately, though.

Ah, Mio Momono is making my top ten next month.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I am genuinely sorry to hear that. I hope it's not too serious. She really stood out at the DIANA/Marvelous show i went to in September 2019

She had knee surgery so she's still out a few more months.

• Thanks 1

Going strictly currently active in the moment/off the top of my head and I'll still probably forget some. Likely changes often so I can dig the idea of a monthly top 10, as my list would be vastly different even a year or just 6 months ago.

10. Su Yung - Impact. A legit draw for me as when a local indy brings her in, I'm there. Great character work and always enjoyable in the ring.

9. Maki Itoh - Tokyo Joshi Pro. Her recent brief AEW run was a total blast start to finish and the absolute best entrance.

8. Asuka - WWE. Still one of the best there is, even if not always getting the right opportunities to shine lately. Would be higher but WWE booking is horrible.

7. Riho - AEW. Her initial AEW run was so great match after match, then to leave for awhile, come back, and have 1 of my favorite matches of this year right away. So good.

6. Britt Baker- AEW. Killing it and keeps getting better. Ever since the nose break match w/ Shida. the recent tourny match with Nyla was legit great. Then of course the MOTYC w/ Thunder.

5. Serena Deeb - AEW. On fire ever since her return to the ring, that coming off 3 years inactive is incredible. One of my all time favorites and I love to see her keep shining.

4. Thunder Rosa - NWA/AEW. Absolute star and a special talent bringing a big time feel to all of her matches. the MOTYC with Britt cements her near the top and I loved her performance against Kamille at the NWA PPV.

3. Kay Lee Ray - NXT UK. She is a total package and the #1 reason I try to keep up with NXT UK. Her amazing title run is a huge highlight and she delivers in ring every time.

2. Hikaru Shida - AEW. Huge fan of her title run with many great matches against a variety of opponents. One of my absolute favorites to watch, always feels special and always delivers, especially in the big matches. Her series with Nyla were some of my favorites.

1. Deonna Purrazzo - Impact.  Amazing all around, in ring, on mic, etc. Loving her Impact run since last year where she won wrestler and knockout of the year. Always look forward to her matches and her performances stand out. Her series with Su late last year was my favorites from the knockouts. Hopeful for a possible Deonna/Shida crossover match one of these days. 

• Like 1

1. Io Shirai- NXT. Not just the best woman in WWE but one of the best wrestlers in the world. I'm interested in how she's going to fair on the main roster after she loses at Takeover

2 Sasha Banks WWE - The Bayley feud was great. Still a must see wrestler even when in the ring with Nia Jax and Tamina

3: Bayley WWE: Even if she was the longest reigning Smackdown women's champion, she's still underrated

4 - Tay Conti AEW _ I've been a fan since she first started in NXT. One of the few people that has benifited getting out of the WWE system that went to AEW. She gets better every week

5. Dakota Kai NXT - Another must see every match wrestler. Great as a heel and a bayface.

6 Thunder Rosa AEW/NWA - The Britt Baker feud has been real good but I enjoyed the match with Priscilla Kelly better. She's awesome and should beat Shida for the title

7- Asuka WWE- Bad booking has hurt her some but she's still great. I have hopes for the Ripley match

8  Britt Baker AEW- Great character and good in the ring.

9- Reina Gonzalez NXT- Probably the most improved in NXT.

10- Shotzi Blackhart NXT- Her matches aren't always great but I love her character and her feud with Robert Stone was the best thing in NXT for a few months.

• Like 2

1. Allie Kat

2. Kris Statlander

3. Killer Kelly

4. Tay Conti

5. Heidi Howitzer

6. Maki Itoh

7. The Insidious One

8. Billie Starkz

9. Ivelisse

10. Ryo Mizunami

These are just names that I have been watching a lot of lately, mainly through random matches on YouTube. Some of them are now in Thunder Rosa's Mission Pro, I believe. Allie Kat & Kris Statlander have been two of my favorites since last year or before that. I've defended Ivelisse on here before in the AEW threads, it's just down to personal preference obviously.

I really wish Killer Kelly was getting more bookings right now, though. I was happy to see her show up in Impact last year, but it was a bit weird to see her team with Renee Michelle of all people.

Special recognition goes to Kimber Lee in Impact: I haven't seen that much of her work there, but she was a favorite of mine a few years ago when she was mainly in places like CHIKARA and whatnot.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

My mood changes every day so I don't really know if I should rank, but here's who I enjoy most at the moment.

- Tsukasa Fujimoto
- Syuri
- Maki Itoh
- Kris Statlander
- Rina Yamashita
- Risa Sera
- Meiko Satomura
- Mochi Miyagi
- Jungle Kyona
- ASUKA (aka Veny)

With honorable mentions to Chihiro Hashimoto, Totoro Satsuki, Suzu Suzuki, Trish Adora, Allie Kat, Tsukushi Haruka, Ram Kaichow, Maya Yukihi, Kimber Lee, Hiroyo Matsumoto, and Konami. Anna Jay, Tay Conti, and Britt Baker have all been growing on me as well.

Actually, you could probably just put the entire Ice Ribbon roster on my list. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a promotion as much as I enjoy Ice Ribbon these days.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

53 minutes ago, Casey said:

3. Killer Kelly

I really wish Killer Kelly was getting more bookings right now, though. I was happy to see her show up in Impact last year, but it was a bit weird to see her team with Renee Michelle of all people.

Very cool to see Killer Kelly appreciated this high. It was heartbreaking to see her not get a single win on NXT UK, despite abilty, cool look and pardon the pun, killer entrance theme! Any success she gets elsewhere is very much welcomed!

• Like 4

• Io Shirai - NXT
  • Momo Watanabe - Stardom
  • Raquel Gonzalez - NXT
  • Rhea Ripley - NXT
  • Sasha Banks - WWE Smackdown
  • Bayley - WWE Smackdown
  • Asuka - WWE Raw
  • Mayu Iwatani - Stardom
  • Shotzi Blackheart - NXT

No real order. Left off anyone who was injured. My viewing is mostly Stardom and WWE/NXT. I don't watch enough AEW, indies, and other joshi promotions to really rank anyone. I stopped at 9 because there are honestly far too many Stardom wrestlers I could probably rank in like AZM, Kid, Bea, Syuri, Tam, Giulia, etc. Honestly, I'm leaning toward Kid the most because she has really stepped up her the last 4 months when given a shot. Her match with Giulia was way better than I hoped for and was the first time I ever though Kid could just maybe become a main eventer in the future. The only reason I have trouble ranking Giulia is because I always noticed holes in her game that will occasionally urk me. That said, she had plenty of good matches last year that maker her worth looking at. I think NXT's women's division is pretty damn good and the four I named were the major ones behind the quality wrestling wise though honestly you also had names like Candice & Kai who delivered when necessary and people like Toni, Ember, & Mercedes who came in late or had weird stop and starts but were still well worth watching. I thought Bayley, Sasha, & Asuka carried the main roster last year. They did as well as they could given the shitty booking of the roster. In truth I think in a better booked WWE I think they easily become top 5 material without question, and there probably ends up a least few more women on the main roster worth considering. The talent is there, but damn, is the booking frustrating.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Exactly. Just look at Shayna. Nobody's even mentioned her yet. 

Her last really good match was at last year's Wrestlemania against Becky. They haven't done shit with her since as a singles wrestler. Her tag team with Nia is surprisingly not bad, but they aren't anything special either, especially with shit booking. Not sure why they didn't just move up Shaffir and/or Duke to tag with Shayna.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Casey said:

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Very cool to see Killer Kelly appreciated this high. It was heartbreaking to see her not get a single win on NXT UK, despite abilty, cool look and pardon the pun, killer entrance theme! Any success she gets elsewhere is very much welcomed!

Agreed on both. Hoped to see her more in Impact as I thought she looked really good there as she always does. Her match with Meiko in the last MYC remains a favorite of mine.

• Like 3

1. Io Shirai - Just effortlessly good.

2. Sasha Banks - I'll never not love Sasha. So glad to see her getting the ace run she deserves.

3. Thunder Rosa - Great look and natural charisma, a real shot of life into AEW's women's division.

4. Asuka - She's like the Daniel Bryan of the women's division in WWE. Too much ability to stay away from the top for too long.

5. Xia Li - Couldn't have been less interested in her as a blue-chipper face, but as LU-style heel that kicks people's faces in? Give me more.

6. Tay Conti - WWE will regret letting her slip away. She will absolutely flourish in AEW.

7. Shayna Baszler - I burned out on her as NXT champ, but she still has some of the best offense among WWE women, and watching her glue Nia Jax matches together has reminded me how skilled she truly is.

8. Dakota Kai - Definitely someone who deserves more. She's been great as a heel, and the team with Raquel should've gotten a real run with the belts.

9. Britt Baker - Recent death match aside, she's still not that great in the ring, but the personality and effort is there. She'll make it.

10. Kacy Catanzaro - So much athleticism. I hope her small frame can hold up because there's definitely something there. I'm not saying she's Rey Mysterio, but she does have the athletic ability to compensate for the lack of size, and I hope someone sees that and gives her a chance.

• Like 2

Left out due to injury: Yoshiko [SEAdLINNNG], Takumi Iroha [Marvelous]

10. Saori Anou [Freelance]

9. Nanae Takahashi [SEAdLINNNG]

8. Maya Yukihi [Ice Ribbon]

7. Suzu Suzuki [Ice Ribbon]

6. Rina Yamashita [Freelance] 

5. Syuri [Stardom]

4. ASUKA/VENY [Freelance]

3. Mayu Iwatani [Stardom] 

2. Tsukasa Fujimoto [Ice Ribbon]

1. Arisa Nakajima [SEAdLINNNG]