DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Final Battle 2010 - 3/26/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I was kind of only paying half attention tonight aside from Bianca/Nattie which was solid and easily the best thing done so far in the build to Bianca/Sasha. there was no good reason we shouldn't have gotten that a good month ago. All that shit with Reginald and the women's tag titles was just so unnecessary.

Sami's segment with Owens was decent enough. Still I wish this wasn't coming so late in.

Paid little attention Seth/Nak though I did enjoy the post match and backstage segments with Cesaro.

Everything leading to Bryan being inserted into the Universal Title match was about what I expected for the most part. Weirdly enough I think Edge's turn is the most interesting thing he has done this year. Its the first time I have semi given a crap about him other than not wanting him to be involved in this good Bryan/Roman feud. I still would rather he not be, but this placement at least works better now.

Edge turning heel is very welcome indeed. I'm glad they seem to have realised that super babyface Edge is not and never has been the way to go. Edge and Reigns preferring to face each other and not really wanting Bryan in there with them is a great dynamic and it's all very reminiscent of Wrestlemania XXX. The build for this match has been by far the best of any on the card.

On that point, the Wrestlemania build has gotten so bad that you're almost better off deliberately not watching any of it because it only serves to dampen your interest in the card. The triple threat this year is probably the one exception. On paper, Asuka/Ripley and Banks/Belair are the big draws for me on this card. By the end of the women's Rumble match I was keen to see both but since then they've managed to make them less and less appealing. Anyway, still some confidence that they'll both deliver on the night. 

Edited by Tuna Boss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tuna Boss said:

Edge turning heel is very welcome indeed. I'm glad they seem to have realised that super babyface Edge is not and never has been the way to go. Edge and Reigns preferring to face each other and not really wanting Bryan in there with them is a great dynamic and it's all very reminiscent of Wrestlemania XXX. The build for this match has been by far the best of any on the card.

On that point, the Wrestlemania build has gotten so bad that you're almost better off deliberately not watching any of it because it only serves to dampen your interest in the card. The triple threat this year is probably the one exception. On paper, Asuka/Ripley and Banks/Belair are the big draws for me on this card. By the end of the women's Rumble match I was keen to see both but since then they've managed to make them less and less appealing. Anyway, still some confidence that they'll both deliver on the night. 

I was thinking the other day how shitty a Road to WrestleMania this is despite the card looking great for the most part.

• Like 2

Also, I'm surprised at just how much I want to see Rey and his son win the tag titles. Has a father/son combo ever won a set of tag titles anywhere? I can't think of any examples. Rey's longevity and consistency over the last 30 years is remarkable really and I'm not sure it gets mentioned enough. How he still looks and moves like he does after so many years I don't know. Would be a really nice moment. 

• Like 1

Bob Orton Sr and Jr in Florida in the 70s. 

Without looking it up, Lawler/Christopher would be a good bet. 

Did Fritz technically win the WCCW 6 man titles with 2 of the boys at the Texas Stadium show?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tuna Boss said:

Also, I'm surprised at just how much I want to see Rey and his son win the tag titles. Has a father/son combo ever won a set of tag titles anywhere? I can't think of any examples. Rey's longevity and consistency over the last 30 years is remarkable really and I'm not sure it gets mentioned enough. How he still looks and moves like he does after so many years I don't know. Would be a really nice moment. 

Amazing Rey Mysterio is still going especially with all the knee injuries and him billing up in WWE during say half of his run there won't have helped things. It was great seeing Rey Mysterio live at a November 2019 house show as I've watched him since he debuted in WCW, 1996.

17 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

What about the Hennigs?

That was the first name came to my mind.

11 hours ago, Tuna Boss said:

I'm sure Edge made the call. He's very aware of possible criticism from the crowd. Last year was his chance to be in a headline Mania match as the biggest babyface on either card under normal circumstances. Now he knows the honeymoon phase is over as far as the fans go. He knows he's a much better heel. I still with he'd gotten that chance last year because I think he and Orton would have had a way better match feeding off that crowd.

I few people have been very critical of Banks vs Bel Air build up but it didn't really bother me until after the tag match at Fastlane. Bel Air  has so much personality and she's relatable to me because she reminds me of the chick in the hood that is ready to throw down at a hint of disrespect so, I hated how after Sasha Smacked the taste out of her mouth and trash talked and walked out, Bel Air had to just lay there and sell to the fake crowd how shocked the was to be smacked by her partner that couldn't get along with anyway. Only to wait until the next show to get her receipt on Sasha. It's typical WWE booking that definitely doesn't suit her character.

The three way for the world title decision was predictable and while I'd rather see Bryan in a one on one match, I think this will be better than Roman vs. Edge. I'm assuming someone other than Roman is eating the fall so he goes after whomever wins with the argument that he never actually lost.

Los Mysterios are probably going to win the tag titles as it has all the makings of a Wrestlemania Moment. Dominic can be carried when there are multiple other people in the match helping him out, but he's nowhere near ready to be on the main roster.

Did Bill and Jamie Dundee ever win tag titles in Memphis?

15 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Did Bill and Jamie Dundee ever win tag titles in Memphis?

Yes.  They had a short run in USWA with the tag titles in the mid-90's (96, i think.  Might have been '95).

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 3:42 PM, Ziggy said:

I'm sure Edge made the call. He's very aware of possible criticism from the crowd. Last year was his chance to be in a headline Mania match as the biggest babyface on either card under normal circumstances. Now he knows the honeymoon phase is over as far as the fans go. He knows he's a much better heel. I still with he'd gotten that chance last year because I think he and Orton would have had a way better match feeding off that crowd.

I few people have been very critical of Banks vs Bel Air build up but it didn't really bother me until after the tag match at Fastlane. Bel Air  has so much personality and she's relatable to me because she reminds me of the chick in the hood that is ready to throw down at a hint of disrespect so, I hated how after Sasha Smacked the taste out of her mouth and trash talked and walked out, Bel Air had to just lay there and sell to the fake crowd how shocked the was to be smacked by her partner that couldn't get along with anyway. Only to wait until the next show to get her receipt on Sasha. It's typical WWE booking that definitely doesn't suit her character.

- I'm guessing that, because attendance is capped, we'll still be getting mostly piped-in crowd noise. Hell, that may be something that we get from hear on out even if/when the WWE is able to have full live crowds. Its not unheard of. I still agree, though, that Edge knows his character and knows that the Ultimate Opportunist is where he shines, not as a babyface. Plus, he's someone who I'm guessing was chomping at the bit to work with Daniel Bryan because, well, he's Daniel Bryan.

- Totally agree with the build up to Belair/Banks. I think the match will be terrific, but yeah, seems like they just went with the most generic "beats" to the story possible rather than doing something more interesting, which is a shame considering that we're talking about two of the most non-generic stars on the roster. There were a number of interesting facets to explore with these two and instead of attempting to hit a home run with something out-of-the-box (and maybe strike out), they opted to just hit a single and not risk striking out. 

On 3/27/2021 at 5:47 AM, Tuna Boss said:

Also, I'm surprised at just how much I want to see Rey and his son win the tag titles. Has a father/son combo ever won a set of tag titles anywhere?

Looking through the WCW tag history, I'm surprised they were restrained enough to not do Dusty/Dustin, Ric/David, or Buff/Judy which would have not been unrealistic for the time frames those pairs were on screen together.

I think WWE missed the boat not having Chavo Jr/Sr get a tag title run in 2004. Would've made more sense than Sr's CW title run, and the champion teams of the day were like Rene Dupree and Kenzo Suzuki, so it's not like deserving teams would've been robbed.

On 3/27/2021 at 3:38 AM, The Natural said:

I was thinking the other day how shitty a Road to WrestleMania this is despite the card looking great for the most part.

Conversely, I've been thinking about how much my excitement for WrestleMania is fueled by how little of their product I watch while they put forth a card I find largely interesting. 

On 3/27/2021 at 10:47 AM, Tuna Boss said:

Also, I'm surprised at just how much I want to see Rey and his son win the tag titles. Has a father/son combo ever won a set of tag titles anywhere? 

The Armstrongs won a few Tag Titles in various father-son combinations, including Six-Men-Belts. I had them and the Fullers in my mind, but the Fullers/Welches only won in brother/cousin combinations. Maybe there are also examples from Mexico? 

On 3/27/2021 at 3:42 PM, Ziggy said:

That's what I like about Talking Smack as it allows the guest to explain things in a way that make sense.  Bianca was on there and did her best with that by saying her mom raised her to not react and to focus on handling her business at WM.  It all still doesn't fully make sense but it's worth checking out.