DVDVR Message Board

Raw Don't Need No Water... - 3/22/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I watched Raw only for Drew, the Hurt Business (mainly Lashley), and Rhea. 2 out of 3 of those were disappointing and one, the Hurt Business, looks like they're well on their way to ruin. Come the fuck on WWE. I'm down to a few things now. Don't push me the rest of the way out.

Yeah, add me to the people who think splitting the Hurt Business is fucking dumb. I 100% agree with whoever suggested it was to try to make Bobby the heel at Wrestlemania. I don't sense any enthusiasm for Drew Mac anywhere, which is a shame, since he's worked hard in an impossible situation to make that belt mean something, but Bobby Lashley is the goods. I can't believe I'm saying that, as a year ago during the mass firings I suggested they simply fire Lashley and his exorbitant salary to save $. But the "old man" will "old man," and there's no one in that company who will tell Vince what a shitty idea making Bobby into a traditional chickenshit heel is. Even Drew getting booed during Mania won't help. Sucks for Cedric and Shelton, too, as they were doing quality work every week. 

Before last night, Peyton Royce hadn't had a singles match since January 18th. Why the FUCK did they split the Iiconics if they weren't going to do anything with either of them? Oh yeah. Vince. I thought the women's match dragged in spots, but again, you sent a woman out who hadn't had a singles match in two months with no build against maybe the fastest worker in the entire company. 

I also thought the women's tag was shitty. Again, you fucking broke up Mandy and Sonya AND ended Mandy's thing with Otis for what? Another tag team, but this one being much less effective? I'm a bigger fan of Dana Brooke than most, but pairing them does nothing for anyone who isn't a thirteen year old boy. 

Fuck that Braun/Shane segment with a rusty chainsaw. Maybe the worst segment I can remember. 

Kingston and AJ delivered the goods. Nice solid TV match. 

Thought the thing with Randy, Alexa and Fiend was good for what it was. At least they're trying something different. Alexa has been putting in far more effort than this creative probably deserves, and Randy is taking it seriously. I hope Fiend gets to erase his history with Orton like he did Cena last year, as that was one of the biggest booking mistakes I can remember. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

A heel putting a bounty on someone seems too "Southern Rasslin" for this company, especially in 2021.

I'm guessing Lashley's title win went over better than expected and Vince thinks he needs to put a little more work into it to get people to boo Lashley.  That part, at least, makes sense.

Not sure what they're doing with Cedric and Shelton, unless it's a swerve.

1 minute ago, just drew said:

My question is why the need to boo Lashley? Why not let folks choose? 

I'd be surprised if Vince's plan for WM isn't Drew regaining the belt and having a WM moment.

To be honest, I have no interest in Lashley or the Hurt Business as faces.  I generally find babyfaces less interesting than heels. 

6 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I hope it doesn't happen, but Lashley losing the belt and THB turning on him resulting in him becoming a face would be such a WWE thing to do.

The only way I'd be the least bit in on that is if they brought Keith Lee back to replace Lashley, and even then it'd only be marginally decent...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Wait, all this time I thought Humberto was injured or something.  So if he's not then what in the flying fuck is he doing with stuff like this?  Godfndamnit this shit isn't too hard but they just can't help themselves sometimes.

He's been exclusively on Main Event (along with Garza and others in that backstage pic), with only 4 Raw matches since last July.

6 hours ago, Eoae said:

I'd be surprised if Vince's plan for WM isn't Drew regaining the belt and having a WM moment.

Which would be insane.  There's some pretty good evidence that suggests Lashley and The Hurt Business are very popular with WWE audiences.  

But WWE loves to screw up a good thing.. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eoae said:

I generally find babyfaces less interesting than heels. 

This is one of the bigger cuts amongst the thousands this promotion has inflicted on itself over the years. I don't know why, but they haven't been able to present a babyface effectively in ages. They can do heels all day and twice on Sunday but making anyone likable in a positive way is impossible. AEW has the same problem to a lesser extent but the strictly controlled and scripted nature of current WWE makes it much more obvious. 

• Like 1

I know that Asuka has been kinda diluted for a while, but has Rhea been this lame for a bit? She seemed a bit more threatening even in the Rumble and this was so corny and put on and disingenuous. Hadn't seen her promos in a minute, though.

Edited by bink_winkleman
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, just drew said:

My question is why the need to boo Lashley? Why not let folks choose? 

Because Vince is all like "They will boo who I tell them to boo, dammit!"?

...Which has been surprisingly easy inside the Thunderdome. Let's see how that works out with actual live people in the crowd for a change?

• Like 2