DVDVR Message Board

The Coolest Names For Wrestling Moves/Holds

DEAN

15 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Actually, EL MARTINETE is the best name for a Tombstone Piledriver because El Martinete means you've used an illegal move and you are automatically disqualified.  Which makes it a more EVIL move.

Rubs it in even more. Damn rudo!

• Like 1

I also tend to give bonus points for wrestling move names that could double as nicknames for one's penis.

For example:

Jackhammer

Weapon X

K-Driller

Fire Thunder Driver

Tiger Driver

Pumping Bomber

Russian Sickle

Swinging Neck Breaker

Sudanese Meat Cleaver

Lockjaw

Queen Slayer

Spear

Arabian Face Buster

Doomsday Device

Small Package

and I think here, again, The Burning Hammer has a real shot at taking the cake.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I also tend to give bonus points for wrestling move names that could double as nicknames for one's penis.

For example:

Jackhammer

K-Driller

Fire Thunder Driver

Tiger Driver

Pumping Bomber

Russian Sickle

Swinging Neck Breaker

Sudanese Meat Cleaver

Doomsday Device

Small Package

and I think here, again, The Burning Hammer has a real shot at taking the cake.

I'm never going to see those the same now. Thanks, @El Gran Gordi!

? mate.

I did like how Bryan Danielson bragged he was Mr. Small Package.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some of my favourite finisher names ever come from Japan:

Burning Hammer, Shining Wizard, Lariato~!, High Fly Flow and Sling Blade. Just remembered Phoenix Splash and Falcon Arrow.

Edited by The Natural

I always liked Hawaiian Hammer best, then Tombstone, then Southern Piledriver, and finally Reverse Piledriver. Atomic Drop was short and sweet, name-wise. Several finishers of thee Midnight Express had amazing genius names, and I can still hear Jim Cornette dogging the mic at TBS and explaining the nomenclature for us at home (in order of festiveness to me, lesser to greater) -- Rocket Launcher, Flapjack, Divorce Court, Veg-O-Matic, Double Goozle. In modern day WWE (I cheated and looked these up) there is: 054 (good), Neutralizer (lame), Black Mass (nice), Uso Splash (not trying), Sister Abigail (creepy good), Dis-Arm-Her (barely funny the first time you hear it), Bitter End (clever), Big Ending (see "Uso Splash"), Murphy's Law (works perfectly). In other places -  good: Egyptian Conniption, Graveyard Smash, Cosmic Doom, Tomakazi, Sicilian Slice, Rude Awakening, Shining Wizard  bad: Panama City Destroyer, Steiner Recliner, More Bang For Your Buck.

taking finishers and their names very seriously,

RAF

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

For example:

Swinging Neck Breaker

If you are calling your little fella a Swinging Neck Breaker, keep it away from me.

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, DEAN said:

Lamest- Greetings From Asbury Park

I take umbrage with this. I always thought that was cool, I can’t fault a Springsteen reference.

On that note, what about move names that reference songs/musicians?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kev said:

I take umbrage with this. I always thought that was cool, I can’t fault a Springsteen reference.

Kazarian's Fade to Black by Metallica. Kazarian has also had logos inspired by them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Burning Hammer might just be our winner. It's irrational, broken English, involves fire, involves a tool that can be used as a weapon, and it ended one of my favorite puro matches like a door slamming in the depths of Hell (to steal from Discharge). And that would be Kobashi vs. Akiyama, 12/23/00. That move even involves a Torture Rack position! 

I heard someone who I'm about 99.9999999% sure has never heard of Kenta Kobashi describe being shot as being hit with a burning sledgehammer.  

While I agree Stan Hansen's Lariat is the best version of the move, the Russian Sickle is the best name for it.

Tennessee Jam indeed sucks, but for some reason Alabama Jam sounds really fucking cool.  With that said, the best name for the move is the Guillotine Leg Drop, it's just the best description possible for dropping a leg across a man's neck.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Kev said:

Well, there's the Shake Rattle n'Roll, but that's just a Swinging Nckbreaker with a worse name.

3 hours ago, Kev said:

Hurrah! Another Year, Surely This One Will Be Better Than the Last; The Inexorable March of Progress Will Lead Us All to Happiness!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Hurrah! Another Year, Surely This One Will Be Better Than the Last; The Inexorable March of Progress Will Lead Us All to Happiness!

There's been a couple of times when Kevin Kelly has been calling the name of the move and the tap out happens right as he says the last words and it's just perfect.

Edited by eikerir
typo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Clothesline from Hell (because what's so "from Hell" about it?)

I've always figured it was a reference to distance.  Like, the clothesline has it's starting origins in Hell, and it gains momentum on its way to the surface, which makes the impact more devastating when it hits the opponent.

(I've had this discussion before.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

I have to share Daniel Bryan's brilliant story about it in his must read autobiography, Yes: My Improbable Journey to the Main Event of Wrestlemania. Bryan popped seeing The Great Muta use it so began using it himself. Bryan described it as his double arm chickenwing thingy but Christopher Daniels said it was the Cattle Mutilation and that name stuck than the double arm chickenwing thingy. Bryan wanted to explain why he's use a move called that as a lover of animals and sometimes a vegetarian.

I believe I heard someplace that, when applied, it looks like a cow that has been split down the middle and spread apart, by...aliens? -- you got legs over here, legs over there, etc.

I'm old enough to remember when the Rude Awakening was a DDT.

I remember playing NJPW Toukon Retsuden 2 on a modded PS1 and one of my friends maybe read a bad translation or something, and we were calling Sasaki/Power Warrior's Strangle Hold Gamma the "Dragon Latch Falcon Wing."  I don't care if we were wrong, that is a bad ass move name.

How has the "Indian Deathlock" not been renamed The Native American Deathlock in 2021?

• Haha 1

Has anyone brought up Super Dragon's "Barry White Driver?"  I definitely respect anyone who can remember the entire name of ZSJ's other dope/weird armbar thing.  I can remember "Orienteering With Napalm Death" but the other one just loses me about halfway through.

Anyone else remember "Crack 'em in the mouth" from Deuce and Domino?

Edited by Nineteen
  • Like 3

After reading through this thread I've come to the realization that if you add the word "Dragon" to any move, it makes it at least 75% cooler.  With that said, I think wrestling has done a great job reserving the dragon prefix to the coolest versions of moves.  Dragon suplex, dragon sleeper, dragon rana...all worthy of this list and the name dragon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

How has the "Indian Deathlock" not been renamed The Native American Deathlock in 2021?

Ahem.  I believe it comes the oil pits of India.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nate said:

I've always figured it was a reference to distance.  Like, the clothesline has it's starting origins in Hell, and it gains momentum on its way to the surface, which makes the impact more devastating when it hits the opponent.

(I've had this discussion before.)

I just assumed the "From Hell" was because the Acolytes were part of the Ministry of Darkness around the time Taker looked like Satan.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Tennessee Jam indeed sucks, but for some reason Alabama Jam sounds really fucking cool.  With that said, the best name for the move is the Guillotine Leg Drop, it's just the best description possible for dropping a leg across a man's neck.

Oh man, which leads to coolest variation- the ROLLING GUILLOTINE.