DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 21: Brunson vs. Holland (3/20/2021) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

Ev6LSDMXEAQQ99p.jpeg?1615158210

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 21: Brunson vs. Holland
March 20, 2021
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Derek Brunson (186) vs. Kevin Holland (183) - Brunson, DEC (unanimous)
Song Kenan (171) vs. Max Griffin (170.5) - Griffin, KO (punches), R1 (2:20)
Cheyanne Buys (116) vs. Montserrat Ruiz (115) - Ruiz, DEC (unanimous)
Adrian Yanez (135) vs Gustavo Lopez (136) - Yanez, KO (punch), R3 (0:27)
Tai Tuivasa (264.5) vs. Harry Hunsaker (249) - Tuivasa, TKO (punches), R1 (0:49)

ESPN2 / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Marion Reneau (136) vs Macy Chiasson (136) - Chiasson, DEC (unanimous)
Leonardo Santos (155.5) vs. Grant Dawson (156) - Dawson, KO (punches), R3 (4:59)
Trevin Giles (185.5) vs. Roman Dolidze (185) - Giles, DEC (unanimous)
Montel Jackson (136) vs. Jesse Strader (137.5)* - Jackson, TKO (punches), R1 (1:58)
JP Buys (126) vs. Bruno Silva (126) - Silva, TKO (punches), R2 (2:56)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Bruno Silva
Performance of the Night: Grant Dawson
Performance of the Night: Adrian Yanez
Performance of the Night: Max Griffin

Rating: 721,000 viewers

I am looking forward to seeing what the Rabbit can do in the cage with the Warrior Princess.  The Keylock / Scarf Hold she used to sub Janaisa Morandin during that Invicta show last year was particularly sick.

Cheyanne's husband faces Bruno Silva during the prelims.  Is this the first time that a married couple have had fights on the same MMA card?

Tai Tuivasa's KO and retirement of Stefan Struve must've saved his job.  I was sure he was heading to release after dropping 3 straight.

Edited by J.T.

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

Cheyanne's husband faces Bruno Silva during the prelims.  Is this the first time that a married couple have had fights on the same MMA card?

The De La Rosas (Mark and Montana) both fought on one of the last cards before the pandemic, Corey Anderson vs. Jan Blachowicz 2 in New Mexico last February. They were the first married couple in the UFC and also the first to fight on the same UFC card. The Buys would be the second one to compete on the same card.

• Like 1

I know it's kinda a time of social distancing, but you would think they would have someone closer to the scale just in case something like this were to occur. It's not like people haven't fainted backstage or at the weigh-ins before. She had do a shuffle, then lose her balance completely, and stumble back falling down into the step and repeat background before someone did something.

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Madness. There's no perfect solution but this cannot be the best of them.

At first I was confused by the title of some of these tweets saying she fainted multiple times since I only saw the initial one.

If I'm the UFC or the commission, I got to at least admonish whoever was working the weigh-ins. You cannot allow that to happen TWICE. Once you faint, you've missed weight. There is no reweighing. 

• Like 3

I remember asking about One's system awhile back. I am not sure if there is any validity to this, but I'm kinda working with the limited info I've seen or heard to be fair.

Would that still be safer for the fighters or do you think the weight being cheated would make the fight more dangerous than going in after extreme dehydration (for many, not all of course)? No system is perfect, I get that, but I feel like fighter safety is more important than "integrity" of the weight system. 

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Would that still be safer for the fighters or do you think the weight being cheated would make the fight more dangerous than going in after extreme dehydration (for many, not all of course)? No system is perfect, I get that, but I feel like fighter safety is more important than "integrity" of the weight system. 

I think ANY system is going to get exposed once you begin running shows at the break neck speed of a UFC with so many fights per card. I mean when I was doing the picks contest stuff last night and this morning, I noticed there was A LOT of misses reported for some of this shows. Granted, this week has a lot of stuff going on from three Cage Warrior shows, a ONE FC card, LFA, and a KSW show. Thing is you can miss weight on those cards, and it not be a big deal overall. UFC is under a much bigger microscope, and thus, everything is going magnified that much more.

However, I would also argue UFC as the leader of the sport should find a better way going forward just because no organization is going to put on the amount of fights they do in addition the amount of events. In addition, it's not like they go to completely irresponsible commissions. If you hide out in Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Kansas like many of these feeder organizations do, you're likely to get all types of crazy shit going on. If you're running shows in your backyard and it's Nevada where they've had the most high level combat sports of any state in the lower 48 and arguably any place in the world, you should have had a system by now that bypasses some of this bullshit. It would be different if it was 1991. But it's 2021. Nevada should be the ones forcing the issue and take it out of UFC and any other promoter's hands.

Are there many health issues in boxing due to weight cuts? I know a lot of the bigger stars move up in weight classes many times over but I imagine the amount of weight classes fighters can choose from allows them to find a comfort spot where they're not compromising their health for the ability to beat up smaller opponents. Am I way off on that? 

28 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Are there many health issues in boxing due to weight cuts? I know a lot of the bigger stars move up in weight classes many times over but I imagine the amount of weight classes fighters can choose from allows them to find a comfort spot where they're not compromising their health for the ability to beat up smaller opponents. Am I way off on that? 

I would say in my boxing fandom that so many boxing fans are way too overdramatic in the effect of weight cuts on fighters. It's "____ was weight drained when he fought ______" and "___________ is a really a ____-lb fighter/a blown up _______" for damn near every notable fight in history. You would think no one was in their right weight class if you let boxing fans tell it.

I mean you can see guys who are/were clearly compromised and that affects how they fight in the future. I will use one of my favorite fighters of all time, Miguel Cotto. Miguel Cotto as a junior welterweight was a goddamn terminator. He had a hard time making the 140 pound limit early in his career, probably overstayed trying to get a Ricky Hatton or Mayweather fight, and then moved up to welterweight when Floyd moved to welterweight. He had some good performances and then the first Margarito fight happened. Then shortly after that, he got a sound beating from Manny Pacquiao. When he moved up to 154 when he came back, he never really looked like the same fighter. There was flashes here and there especially against the likes of a Ricardo Mayorga or Delvin Rodriguez or Sergio Martinez on half a good leg who won't going to do anything to him. However, he was never the guy he was 14 or 15 pounders lighter. 

The thing is I cannot really make a fair assessment that it was his weight cuts as a junior welterweight/super lightweight. His diminishment could be from those beatings he took from Pacquiao and Margarito in the first fight, it could be from getting rocked badly against Ricardo Torres and buzzed in other fights, or it could be from fighting so often in a weight class he had a hard time making. So at best, I have to give everything the same value. I can't attribute it to just one thing.

I think because of the lack of concrete evidence, you can spin the narrative anywhere you want to.

I would also add that in MMA because the weight classes are spaced are more, fighters feel they have choose what advantage they want to have. If they move down or stay where they are (if they're on the leaner side but still big for that division), they probably want that size advantage. If they move up, they probably feel like size isn't as important as having a speed advantage.

One example I think that is interesting and would use is Amanda Nunes. I remember awhile back she had trouble making 135. I think that fight might have been cancelled or whatever. At that time, I said or replied in whatever thread it was that she would be better off at 145 basically. Now she has made 135 everytime she was suppose to be at bantamweight since then. Good for her. However, lo and behold, she just said after her fight with Megan Anderson that she feels the best she ever has at featherweight. I don't think that's a coincidence. This ain't the Amanda Nunes from her regional fighting days or early in Strikeforce when it looked like she could probably make 125 if she tried. She is a very big woman now especially compared to early in her career. She can still fight at bantamweight, but I feel featherweight is her optimum weight class based on body type. In the case of Israel Adesanya, I think middleweight is his best weight class just based on body type. IMO It can go both ways.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Ok, why did they let her get on the scale again?

Man, this was a really uncomfortable watch. Reminded me of seperate videos documenting Jose Aldo, Cris Cyborg and Darren Till's weight cuts. Aldo's and Till's were taken down as it put MMA and weight cutting in such a bad light. Remember those?

• Thanks 1

I don't know what the best answer is. But fighters are ingrained with the idea that they have to be bigger and stronger for their weight class, but then they literally come close to killing themselves to make weight. That mindset has to be jettisoned. 

Maybe commissions do need to step up and put more regulations in place. But it seems like fighters might need to be weighed multiple times during fight week. Also, fighters can't really be trusted to handle themselves or do this safely. When he was supposed to rematch TJ Dillashaw for the title, Renan Barao fainted and injured his head during his weight cut a day before weigh-ins. If you faint and bang your head...you are not doing it the right way and shouldn't be allowed to fight that week.

• Like 1