DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/17/2021

Dolfan in NYC

This is going down a bad path quickly, but I feel the need to point out that this:

2 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I have 0 need to be validated by people I will probably never meet or know other than on here.

and this:

10 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

The ref is Shawn Patrick. One of the nicest guys you will ever meet in or out of wrestling. If you look straight back you will see Dani Mo of the neon blondes.  Facade must have worked this show and was selling shirts right off the hanger.    She's a sweet girl. I've known Facade and his mom for years. Worked with his mom actually.

are 100% at odds with each other.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Dog said:

This is going down a bad path quickly, but I feel the need to point out that this:

and this:

are 100% at odds with each other.

He claimed I was one of the people in the pic did he not?  I know the people in the pic, half of the fans in the pic and the people in the background. Not validating a thing. I know the people and I know I am not one of them. He came at me thinking he was smart and putting one over on me, I proved him wrong and he muted me.  He says he is a promoter.  Every promoter I've met has thick skin. 

• Like 1

Just now, paintedbynumbers said:

I know the people in the pic, half of the fans in the pic and the people in the background. Not validating a thing.

Ah, so you are a gimmick poster. No one could possibly be this self-unaware.

I apologize for taking the bait, everyone.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dog said:

Ah, so you are a gimmick poster. No one could possibly be this self-unaware.

I apologize for taking the bait, everyone.

no, not a gimmick poster. Try being honest. You didn't see fists trying to out who I was by posting a pic of someone that wasn't even me? Seriously grow the fuck up or go post on the Nick Jr. Message board.  Maybe it would be more to your style. 

Apologize to the people on here that can follow rules and don't try to bait others for their own amusement. 

10 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Let's get this thread back on topic.

Thoughts on AEW allowing their workers to appear at Indy shows.  Good idea or bad?

On one hand, it would suck to have someone you're promoting get hurt on an indy show and screw up your plans.  BUT on the other hand, it gives guys more experience, keeps the rust off, and offers some cover if the "independent contractor" thing is ever challenged in any meaningful way.  I can dream.

Also, whenever PWG can come back, I'd like them to be able to book AEW talent.  Especially with the tag titles ostensibly held up.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

On one hand, it would suck to have someone you're promoting get hurt on an indy show and screw up your plans.  BUT on the other hand, it gives guys more experience, keeps the rust off, and offers some cover if the "independent contractor" thing is ever challenged in any meaningful way.  I can dream.

I always have been a fan of letting guys and girls ply their trade wherever they choose. If AEW allows it that's a good thing.  I agree with you mentioning someone getting hurt. Especially now when you have a pandemic and the workers are at after parties with fans/etc. AEW does Covid testing, sadly most indy promotions don't. In a dream world Covid will be gone soon and we can see some AEW talent mix in with local talent across the country and everyone will benefit from it. 

Was AEW letting their people take indy dates pre-pandemic?  Looking at the one PWG show that happened while AEW was in existence (December 2019), I'm seeing no AEW talent.  Checking out some of the Beyond shows of the same timeframe, I'm seeing OC, Beaver Boys, and Statlander booked, but they've all been associated with that company forever.  Did anybody else book AEW talent then?

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Was AEW letting their people take indy dates pre-pandemic?  Looking at the one PWG show that happened while AEW was in existence (December 2019), I'm seeing no AEW talent.  Checking out some of the Beyond shows of the same timeframe, I'm seeing OC, Beaver Boys, and Statlander booked, but they've all been associated with that company forever.  Did anybody else book AEW talent then?

Sammy Guevara did a few indies in 2019 and one or two right before the pandemic shut down America in 2020. I believe he's back at it, wrestling in Egypt (?) soon. Jungle Boy was all over the place in 2019, MJF too. I'm already tired of going through Cagematch profiles.

Also, the Battle of Los Angeles 2019 happened while AEW was in existence (along with like 4 or 5 other shows). Unless you meant while AEW was on TNT, which yeah you'd be right.

I think the benefits probably outweigh the negatives for the younger, greener talent.

Like, I wouldn't want Kenny Omega working a 35 minute epic on a rando indie that drew 1100 instead 350 with him on the card, but the Varsity Blondes and Top Flight could desperately use working more matches in front of crowds.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Jiji said:

And working different styles, which is unfortunate because the US indie scene that a lot of these guys would be working is pretty uniform in style now. 

Yes. I've said it before, but in a perfect world, they'd wrestle FTR four or five nights a week for two or three months and come out of it so much better.

Plenty of AEW wrestlers have worked indies during the pandemic. Like Collective 2020 had Joey, Sonny, Marko, Moxley...

• Like 1

Hey, @paintedbynumbers, seriously, thanks for the info. It's interesting (to me, anyway) to read about insider-y stuff like that. I find it cool to hear that working in AEW has made Baker a better person, in your opinion. I can believe that.It seems like that kind of a place, that would help people bring out the best in themselves.

And I'm all for AEW wrestlers working the indies. Particularly the younger, less-experienced wrestlers. The only way to really get better at working in front of crowds is to work in front of crowds. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, paintedbynumbers said:

best women's match in America so far for 2021 and possibly worldwide.  Not sure what can beat it.

Agreed.

Might well be my MOTY right now.

Edited by The Natural

57 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

seems like the morale at AEW is really high. If anyone there is unhappy they are keeping quiet about it.  

I think it helps that it seems like wrestlers in AEW are kept informed of what the plans are for them.  So, a guy might not be doing much on TV right now, but he knows that he’s got an angle set to go with so-and-so in a month or two.  That’s a much different situation from a guy in WWE who might show up and have to sit in catering or work Main Event for months on end without any clue what he’s doing or if there will ever be something bigger for him.

• Like 4

Pretty much every talent that comes on the AEW Unrestricted podcast says it's a fucking wonderful place to work. Obviously no one's going to go on there and bitch but the seemingly universal enthusiasm comes off as legitimate and palpable. Really, bloated roster or not, it's hard for me not to want to have people join up who are leaving and otherwise miserable place like WWE. 

• Like 1

another thing to realize is the guys and girls are all friends. If you think the people in AEW don't talk to the people in WWE and vice versa you are crazy.  The WWE talent sees how happy the AEW talent is and want that too. I wonder if Covid kept people in place with WWE or from jumping.  The AEW roster is bloated but I wouldn't mind seeing the show extended an hr.  Having 2 Youtube shows is good but how many more eyes would they get if they added an hour to Dynamite?  Would love to see a Saturday AM show on TNT with fresh matches as well. Make it like the old WCW Power Hour and I'd be sold. 

• Like 2