DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/17/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I'd go:

5. Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair. WWE Evolution 2018. ****3/4.

4. Charlotte Flair vs. Sasha Banks. WWE RAW, 28th November 2016. ****3/4. It's one me and @Niners Fan in CT always talk up.

3. Thunder Rosa vs. Dr. Britt Baker. AEW Dynamite, 17th March 2021. *****.

2. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley. WWE NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn 2015. *****.

1. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks. WWE NXT TakeOver: Respect 2015. *****.

8 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

The women's main was a star-making match for both of them. I loved Rosa breaking the submission by just rolling Britt into the tacks. Probably the best use of tacks in 15+ years.

I meant to call that out specifically, thank you!  Yes, that was excellent!

4 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

That's the second time now Cody absolutely no sells a finisher in just weeks. Against Shaq he just popped back up after the Brodie Lee Powerbomb and went on offense. 

He lost his sense of psychology all of the sudden? 

2 hours ago, OSJ said:

How is it that Cody has such a great mind for the wrestling business except for the part about matches that he's in?

I get tired of repeating myself, just go back a few pages where I said I don't think Cody really understands pro wrestling at all.  Where's this myth (that's actually the word "myth," not Cody saying "miss") that he's a great mind come from?  His only experience of pro wrestling for like 16 years was the WWE system and whatever tall tales his dad told him.  And during that time, he was taking acting classes trying NOT to become a wrestler, but that didn't work out.  As I mentioned, he quit WWE, added a few indytastic moves to his repertoire, and got himself over as something more than he is.  You can argue all you want but he just let Penta kick out of 4 match ending moves and then pinned him with a shit rollup using his bad arm.  I meant shit, just look at his run vs Brodie Lee to see how the dude just does not understand this thing on a fundamental level:

1. Brodie Lee destroys him for the belt with little build at all
  2. Cody is out for a few weeks
  3. He shows up and we think there's going to be an awesome promo about how he's coming for revenge.  Nope.  It's a promo for some AGT knockoff he's the third banana host on.
  4. He finally shows up on TV with black hair in an apparent Death of Superman reference that he's mad nobody got.
  5. I can't even remember who challenged who to a chain match but there's no build at all.  Nothing like the heel running away or whatever that would merit a chain match.
  6. Cody wins the belt right back.

Damn, look at that shit.  Nothing but bad decisions and no storyline every step of the way.  That's just one program.  Anyone who actually watched and understood wrestling would see a redemption story here.  Cody was getting too cocky and got destroyed.  He comes back humbled and ready to not be a little shit.  Maybe he loses a few times before getting the Eye of the Tiger back.  Maybe he has to fight his way through the Dark Order to earn a shot.  I don't know.  But anyone who has seen Rocky 3 knows this plot and it's so simple.  Cody comes off like he knows the "what" of wrestling (fiery babyfaces, blood, chain matches) but doesn't get the "why" at all.  He gets the iconography but not the themes.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8

36 minutes ago, Technico Support said:
  • He finally shows up on TV with black hair in an apparent Death of Superman reference that he's mad nobody got.
  • I can't even remember who challenged who to a chain match but there's no build at all.  Nothing like the heel running away or whatever that would merit a chain match.

I got the reference but with the way he dyed it black plus his promo I feel he forgot about what made Death of Superman work.  As for the chain match that was the rematch with Brodie that he had and yeah the build was weak.

But it does make me think that if Cody did "get it" and went through the Dark Order then he might have not had that chance at the rematch.  Considering the timeframe if he went through the group then there might not have been a payoff to all this.  And for all we know if this was still going on when Brodie passed then that would have been kind of awkward with how to proceed from there.

I think with the timeframe right after the rematch Brodie didn't have these issues so I don't think it's right to say that Cody knew at the time.  I'll need to double check considering Amanda went into detail on the podcast.  But while the build and everything was not up to par I'm kind of glad that it worked out the way it did.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

4. Charlotte Flair vs. Sasha Banks. WWE RAW, 28th November 2016. ****3/4. It's one me and @Niners Fan in CT always talk up.

Is this the falls count anywhere with the Bank Statement on the handrail?  That's the really good one.  I remember that feud having good TV matches but terrible PPV ones. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lawful Metal said:

Is this the falls count anywhere with the Bank Statement on the handrail?  That's the really good one.  I remember that feud having good TV matches but terrible PPV ones. 

That's the one and yes, the TV matches were better than the PPVs. The Falls Count Anywhere No Disqualification match was terrific with the memorable Bank Statement using the handrail. The entrances need talking up more. Sasha Banks threw her coat, glasses and rings while walking to the ring and Charlotte Flair disrobed at the entrance stage.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I get tired of repeating myself, just go back a few pages where I said I don't think Cody really understands pro wrestling at all.  Where's this myth (that's actually the word "myth," not Cody saying "miss") that he's a great mind come from?  His only experience of pro wrestling for like 16 years was the WWE system and whatever tall tales his dad told him.  And during that time, he was taking acting classes trying NOT to become a wrestler, but that didn't work out.  As I mentioned, he quit WWE, added a few indytastic moves to his repertoire, and got himself over as something more than he is.  You can argue all you want but he just let Penta kick out of 4 match ending moves and then pinned him with a shit rollup using his bad arm.  I meant shit, just look at his run vs Brodie Lee to see how the dude just does not understand this thing on a fundamental level:

1. Brodie Lee destroys him for the belt with little build at all
  2. Cody is out for a few weeks
  3. He shows up and we think there's going to be an awesome promo about how he's coming for revenge.  Nope.  It's a promo for some AGT knockoff he's the third banana host on.
  4. He finally shows up on TV with black hair in an apparent Death of Superman reference that he's mad nobody got.
  5. I can't even remember who challenged who to a chain match but there's no build at all.  Nothing like the heel running away or whatever that would merit a chain match.
  6. Cody wins the belt right back.

9HZycc50sCXWzk720=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm still into garbage matches after all these years, so I know I'm overrating Rosa/Britt - self-awareness has to count for something, right? - but I completely forgot the Raw match with the Banks statement on the arena steps. That was kick ass. Not even being funny, but the follow-up must have really sucked for me to forget the match entirely

• Like 1

I was thinking about Britt some more and the two times she's been busted open. You know, you can't proactively train for what you look like when blood is gushing or streaming out of your head or face. Somehow, someway, in the two times she's been busted wide open, Britt has had maybe two of the most memorable facial expressions I can think of for someone who looks like that.

The only other person I can think of in that sense is Foley smiling with a tooth sticking out of his nose after he got thrown off the cell.

I really can't say enough positive things about Britt Baker. She's a fucking star or at least she should be. She gets shoehorned into the pretty girl babyface role, turns heel, gets injured, does some of the best character work I've seen from anybody (her line about Whataburger nearly rivals Elias' line about the Sonics), isn't great in ring before injury, and then post injury she hits the ground running and is a solid to great worker in the ring. She's fucking amazing.

Rosa won the match, but if Shida drops that title to anyone, it needs to be to Britt. It's not like I'll be horribly disappointed if that doesn't happen, but at the very least, Britt needs to be the women's champion this year.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm still into garbage matches after all these years, so I know I'm overrating Rosa/Britt - self-awareness has to count for something, right? - but I completely forgot the Raw match with the Banks statement on the arena steps. That was kick ass. Not even being funny, but the follow-up must have really sucked for me to forget the match entirely

It did. You'll be shocked to find Sasha Banks dropped the WWE RAW Women's Championship a month later on PPV back to Charlotte Flair without defending it once.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Thanks for the reminder.  Brodie didn't realize he had any issues until after this match.  So while the bad booking did help them, it wasn't on purpose.

The booking on that angle was so, so bad that I always assumed after-the-fact that the quick resolution was due to Brodie's health. If it wasn't ... sheesh ..

• Like 1

Just re-watched the Cody / Penta bout. What in the actual fuck was that finish about. Penta teases an arm break then immediately afterwards gets rolled up .. who on earth is overseeing the construction of that match .. just an absolute silly mess.

Contrarily Cargill's bout is even better on 2nd viewing. Great squash; she looks a million bucks coming out (whoever is dressing Butcher & Blade please take note .. this is the anti-meth-head look) and I'd even go so far as to say the best original AEW theme too. She should have enormous star-power for them if they book her right.

Pointless rant about subjective star ratings incoming: I like star ratings, but think giving something 3/4 of a star is fucking stupid. Look, if something is 4 3/4 stars, then it's 5 fucking stars. That doesn't just go for this match, but for all matches he does that to and also certain wrestlers. I'm fine with 1/2 a star, but 3/4 of a star or 1/4 of a star is fucking stupid.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Meltzer star ratings:

Cody Rhodes/Pentagon, ***3/4.

Rosa/Baker, ****3/4.

Britt won't be happy. I thought Rosa/Baker was *****.

Hell if Cody/Penta was ***3/4, then Rosa/Baker should be ******

Damn shame it didn't get the full 5...

Edited by keith_h
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Meltzer star ratings:

Cody Rhodes/Pentagon, ***3/4.

Rosa/Baker, ****3/4.

Britt won't be happy. I thought Rosa/Baker was *****.

Meltzer won't be happy as I've just sent him a long note requiring responses. If you're going to go with foolishness like 3/4 of a star, be prepared to defend such knuckleheadery with a detailed explanation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

With the match taking place on 3/17 I wonder if Tony K or the ladies had visions of Villanova III vs Atlantis from 2000.  

I will never forget the sight of their mask swishing through the net right as the buzzer sounded.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’m a couple days late and I haven’t read the thread yet so I’m sure I’ll be repeating taking points here but here’s my thoughts:

Ooof, Cody-Penta wasn’t very good was it? Cody kinda killed off all his finishers in quick succession, then got a pin straight off Penta’s arm breaker for good measure. Cody is just massively inconsistent in terms of character work and in-ring.

The Callis-Bucks promo would have been good 6 months ago but made no sense considering they’ve been tag champs for almost 5 months.

Jade squash was fine, liked the wild German, I’d just let Jade pad out her record with quick squashes and try to show off some different strength/athleticism spots for a couple of months. Try not to expose her with too much competitive stuff yet.

MJF stable promo was good, Spears again stood out like a sore thumb though, who picked his suit FFS.

10 man was fine. I think pretty much everything about Private Party works better as heels. Marko continues to show nothing to justify why he should be there, he really needs to be doing something more impressive than missile dropkicks to come off as even the most minor threat.

Nice promos from Mox/King & Christian.

Tag was ok, Good Brothers just aren’t very interesting though. Still have no interest in conflicted face Bucks in this story, a Bucks/Good Brothers match isn’t an exciting prospect and I’m not sure where else you go with this. I still maintain that a swerve and heel turn is the much better direction for them.

I don’t think Jake really adds anything to Archer at this point, and may even be slightly detrimental, particularly when he’s standing there at the same height talking about him as a monster. I’d like to think there’s still a place for him but I can’t think of who he’d work well with.

Fenix/Angelico was cool while it lasted, love how Angelico gets across his submission style and makes it feel like a clash of styles every time he shows up.

I think they’re actually gradually heating up Miro quite nicely now. The hopefully impending split with Kip feels long overdue despite them not really being a team that long.

Nice main, they really let them go all out, the finish in particular looked killer.