DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/17/2021

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Been working on such a project.

My top five:

5. Mr. Brodie Lee vs. Cody. AEW Dynamite, 7th October 2020.

4. Thunder Rosa vs. Britt Baker. AEW Dynamite, 17th March 2021.

3. Kenny Omega/Adam Page vs. The Young Bucks. AEW Revolution 2020. 

2. Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes. AEW Double or Nothing 2019.

1. Adam Page/John Silver/Alex Reynolds vs. MJF/Santana/Ortiz. AEW Dynamite, 30th December 2020.

Rosa/Baker might wind up moving as high as #2.

Looking at my top 20, nearly half is made up of AEW Dynamite. Impressive a TV show has so many showings.

Can you assign star ratings to tribute matches? The point and purpose of the Brodie Lee Celebration of Life, it was to honour someone loved by all. If I were to give #1 a star rating, it would be ***** as it was perfect: The paper throwing at the beginning, John Silver's hot tag, Negative 1 nailing MJF with the Jedi stick, Erick Redbeard showing up and Silver with the Mr Brodie Lee taunt and doing Lee's spinning lariat finisher for the win. One of the most moving matches and shows I've seen in my 31 years watching wrestling. I'd give #2-5 the full ***** along with Young Bucks vs. #FTR from Full Gear 2020 even though the wrong team won.

EDIT: Keeping that WTF autocorrect in.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Already looking forward to Darby Allin vs. John Silver next week.

God yes. Please let that go at least 15 minutes. Also give Rosa and Britt raises. They earned them. 

• Like 2

I've watched maybe two hours total of AEW. Just haven't gotten into the habit of watching wrestling on Wednesdays. I was casting about for something to watch last night and thought maybe there's a basketball game on TNT. I landed on the show just as the main event was starting. I didn't change the channel. Holy shit, that was a good match. I will be back.

• Like 7

I don't care if Britt's motivation was to get 5 stars from Meltzer. That's her prerogative, some wrestlers care about that, some don't. She does, and obviously it would mean a lot to her for someone like Meltzer to give her that honor. Let her have that opinion, for fucks sake. Britt Baker has an actual profession outside of pro wrestling. She doesn't have to do this, but she chooses too. Mad fucking props to her for the year she's had - since the COVID era has started, she has been the highlight. Not only of the women's division, but sometimes the show itself. She's come a long way.

It's time to give her the Women's title.

• Like 13

Also, Thunder Rosa has been the best wrestler in the world since the pandemic hit. She and Ricky Starks have improved their profile more than any two performers in the world since appearing in AEW for the first time, and to better people it could not happen.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Okay. The Pinnacle:

MJF = Flair

Dax = Arn

Cash = Tully? Ole?

Tully = J.J. 

Wardlow = Sid? Barry?

Spears = Roma

?

To me, Wardlow = Luger, and I mean that as a compliment to both men. 

I feel that the new stable still really needs a Barry Windham: A true workhorse who can take some losses and still be be a credible US Heavyweight-type champion and world title challenger.  Not sure who I'd nominate for that role. I might have said Adam Page a year ago, but he's on to other things now. I think you could elevate J.D. Drake to that level with a little work, and I'd love to see him more in AEW.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don't care if Britt's motivation was to get 5 stars from Meltzer. That's her prerogative, some wrestlers care about that, some don't. She does, and obviously it would mean a lot to her for someone like Meltzer to give her that honor. Let her have that opinion, for fucks sake. Britt Baker has an actual profession outside of pro wrestling. She doesn't have to do this, but she chooses too. Mad fucking props to her for the year she's had - since the COVID era has started, she has been the highlight. Not only of the women's division, but sometimes the show itself. She's come a long way.

It's time to give her the Women's title.

Britt Baker's great and she should beat Hikaru Shida for the AEW Women's Championship. Britt's tough having had her nose broken, broken leg and what she went through vs. Thunder Rosa last night. Respect.

• Like 1

I was Britt's biggest defector but she had her best match ever last night.  I wouldn't mind seeing Britt-Thunder in an iron woman match to end the feud. With the winner getting to be the number one contender for Shida.  

My biggest gripe about the women's division is that the title is hardly ever defended. Hell you could honestly say the same about the TV title.  

Having said all that, last nights show was great. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Starks should have been Tully. I know he's with Taz, but there's nothing wrong with moving Cage and Hobbs over to tags as Fire and Ice '22, and positioning Starks as your heel TV title guy. As it is, the Taz/Sting stuff is a bit of a mess

I expect we’ve seen the end of the Tazz/Sting stuff now - I think last night May have been the closing salvo & that group now moves on to their own dissension. 

For all of the talk on which man makes best amendment to MJF’s team, there’s probably a lot of upside in Jade Cargill in a Chyna-like role there. Helps break up the visual of another large group of white dudes & honestly she feels larger-than-life enough to carry that role. She’s bigger than a lot of guys on that roster; contrarily her going up against someone like Riho would be David &  Goliath territory, probably not in a good way. She could then weave in and out of women’s matches against believable opponents, while also having a heel female enforcer role getting involved in inter-gender instances too.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 4

Taking a brief look this morning since it's getting a lot of hype, I would say Baker excelled in filling gaps between spots with little things like kicks and punches from underneath that didn't lead to transition. This helps build the fight atmosphere. I would say the actual transitions were a little weaker in the closing stretch where Britt took four big spots (DVD onto the ladder, powerbomb into tacks, roll into tacks, Thunder driver through the table) in a row and wasn't really able to pull off getting herself into position for those spots. She seemed a bit reliant on the superkick in order to get 'control' out of nowhere so Rosa could counter her again and again. To me, the roll into the tacks was the best spot I saw. Loved that spot and I historically hate thumbtacks.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I was Britt's biggest defector but she had her best match ever last night.  I wouldn't mind seeing Britt-Thunder in an iron woman match to end the feud. With the winner getting to be the number one contender for Shida.  

My biggest gripe about the women's division is that the title is hardly ever defended. Hell you could honestly say the same about the TV title.  

Having said all that, last nights show was great. 

Has the NWA Women's title been defended more often on AEW programming than the AEW Women's title since the talent sharing agreement with Billy Corgan?

Starting from September 10th Rosa vs. Ivelisse, Deeb vs. Hirsch, Deeb vs. Kay, Deeb vs. Rosa and Deeb vs. Conti for the NWA Womens Title. Five matches, four Dynamites, one Pay Per View Buy In.

Starting from September 5th Shida vs. Rosa, Shida vs. Swole, Shida vs. Rose, Shida vs. Jay, Shida vs. Abadon and Shida vs. Mizunami. Six matches, three Dynamites, three Pay Per Views.

• Like 1

RE: Spears - knowing how conspicuously weak he looks compared to the rest of the group, they could at least have dressed him in a suit that fits. Looked like he was all dressed up to head out to a dive bar w/ that cartoonish haircut in tow. Giving off Fredo Coreleone vibes in this particular Family

Edited by A_K

12 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

Has the NWA Women's title been defended more often on AEW programming than the AEW Women's title since the talent sharing agreement with Billy Corgan?

The agreement started in September 2020 - since then:

Hikaru Shida has went on to defend against Thunder Rosa, Big Swole, Nyla Rose, Anna Jay, Abadon & Ryo Mizunami.

The NWA Women's Title has been defended by Rosa (vs. Ivelisse) and Serena Deeb (vs. Leyla Hirsch, Allysin Kay, Thunder Rosa rematch and Tay Conti).

So it's 6-5 in AEW's favor.

• Like 1