DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XXXVII - 4/10-11/2021

Dolfan in NYC

This will be the first Andre without Heath Slater who was the only person to be in all 6 of them so far.

In fact, going by the participants list, no one who has been in 5 of the 6 will be in it either

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

Jobbers Battle Royale. I like that the male ex-retribution membbers get to keep their gimmicks.

It seems like mostly guys that are regulated to the Pre Show of any given PPV

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Damn, Nakamura deserves better. Shit, like six guys on that list could be top guys if podcast Prichard had any idea what he was doing...

Aside from Nakamura who are the five guys you think can be top guys because I'm not really seeing that outside of the occasional visit. US/IC feels like the ceiling for most of them. Its just that many of them aren't given even that chance.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Would Shinsuke be the biggest name on that list? 

I would argue that Jey Uso is the biggest on the list since he was in a ton of main events in the last 5 months.  

By the way if you need more proof how useless Ziggler and Roode are, they are champions and still can't make WM.  On a fucking 2 night show

Have they announced who are the women's tag teams in the gauntlet.  Some are obvious but trying to figure where Bayley goes.  I guess Carmella

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Aside from Nakamura who are the five guys you think can be top guys because I'm not really seeing that outside of the occasional visit. US/IC feels like the ceiling for most of them. Its just that many of them aren't given even that chance.

Ricochet, Mustafa and Cedric/Shelton could all be doing something.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Iron Moose said:

Ricochet, Mustafa and Cedric/Shelton could all be doing something.

Agreed, but I don't think any of them should be vying for the world/universal title regularly as top guys. 

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Ali, Ricochet, Cedric, and Murphy. I was off by one. 

The fact that it's a 2 night show and they are doing the SD Tag and Andre Battle Royal on SD is real BS to all of the guys who busted their ass for a year, traveled through airports in fear of Covid and now won't get the big Mania payday or to wrestle in front of the fans.  Has to be morale crushing at the very least. I wonder if this is a wake up call for anyone to leave for greener grass. (insert RVD joke here)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

Have they announced who are the women's tag teams in the gauntlet.  Some are obvious but trying to figure where Bayley goes.  I guess Carmella

No but this is the speculation

Right now each show has seven matches confirmed, and with the exception of a few women, everyone on the roster seems accounted for at this point for the weekend.

The 4/10 will be adding a multiple women’s tag team match. This will be announced on television over the next week as far as who is in it, but one would suspect Tamina & Natalya, Mandy Rose & Dana Brooke, Lana & Naomi and Liv Morgan & Ruby Riott to be among the teams. It would also appear that there would be no women’s Battle Royal, since there aren’t enough women on the main roster to add a Battle Royal. Charlotte Flair, Bayley, Peyton Royce, Alexa Bliss, Billie Kay, Carmella and Reckoning (Mia Yim) are the only women not accounted for. Some could be added to the tag team match. Bliss is likely to only be used as part of the Randy Orton vs. The Fiend presentation. One would suspect Flair and Bayley in particular would be part of the show. The winners of this tag team match will face Nia Jax & Shayna Baszler for the titles on 4/11.

So theoretically you could do at least Bayley/Carmella and randomly reunite the IIconics and that takes care of everyone but Charlotte and Mia Yim (who also could have vanished into the ether with Keith Lee)

It seems based on WWE emails that they are really trying to enforce this waiver which basically says if you get COVID it isn't our fault.   Either that or they are just hoping it will get people to pull the WrestleMania app.  

4 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

The fact that it's a 2 night show and they are doing the SD Tag and Andre Battle Royal on SD is real BS to all of the guys who busted their ass for a year, traveled through airports in fear of Covid and now won't get the big Mania payday or to wrestle in front of the fans.  Has to be morale crushing at the very least. I wonder if this is a wake up call for anyone to leave for greener grass. (insert RVD joke here)

They need to free up at least 20 minutes for Braun to sell Shane's feeble attempt at strikes until Shane does some stupid dive off the top of the cage.

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Everybody's got their board blinders on; Corbin is clearly the biggest name on the Andre list. He's probably winning too.

It would very WWE booking to have Corbin be the first two time winner

• Like 1

The IC title match between Big E and Apollo Crews will be a Nigerian Drum Fight.

WHAT THE FUCK~??

I suddenly find myself confronting my own hypocrisy.  I love gimmicks like Kamala the Ugandan Giant and Prince Nana, but for some reason this match stip really bothers me.

Edited by J.T.

22 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Not that I necessarily disagree with your point here, but I think this highlights a problem a lot of recent Wrestlemanias have had. They keep trying to cram as many guys on the card as possible because they are 'entitled' to work the biggest show of the year, and as a result we get a bunch of meaningless multi-man clusterfuck matches padding out the mid-card. No one should be entitled to work a show, the matches on the card should be the matches that make sense with the booking. I mean, I'd much rather watch many of these guys in the Andre Battle Royale than half the matches announced for the PPV, but still. I guess it's a symptom of having SO MANY guys under contract that inevitably a lot of them just get bunked. If I was busting my chops every week, I'd be fuming that Shane McMahon gets another big PPV spot over me. 

• Like 3

They'd better make sure the second night is fire because I expect the first night to squander all the goodwill the live crowd was willing to display. The hardcores will go back to their lodging after night one, read about how flawed shit was, reexamine their reactions, and then hijack the second night.

Which is probably why Sasha vs Bianca HAS to be the main of night 1.  Not sure if Drew winning the title is going to be that WM moment they think 

Although I have a hard time believing that people who wants to see Reigns vs Bryan vs Edge isn't going to miss it if Night 1 sucks

I'm also curious if a big WrestleMania pay-day is still a thing. I always thought that payday was based on the idea that the talent who works a hugely successful show get a bonus because Mania typically had the company's biggest gate of the year due to not only them being in big stadiums but also that tickets cost more than your average house show or TV taping, plus extra money earned off of PPV revenue and merchandise for the babyfaces. Individual wrestlers have never gotten royalties for DVD sales, right? (I'm guessing they do/did get paid either a lump sum or royalties for DVD sets highlighting them as individuals but not PPVs or DVD sets where there are dozens of wrestlers featured.)

But in 2021, there's no such thing as a live gate or even one that would actually amount to big revenue, PPV and DVD sales are no longer huge revenue streams, and while WrestleMania is still probably one of the company's biggest merch-selling days, it's not like there will be 60,000 fans spending money on tee-shirts in-person this year. So what even justifies a WrestleMania payday compared to, say, a payday for TLC or Bragging Rights or whatever? In a normal year, you can argue that the gate is the difference maker, but in 2021? 

The WWE could give everyone the Mania payday without also overstuffing their cards with irrelevent matches that actually make many fans less likely to watch the show. They could just give everyone a "holiday bonus" even if they don't wrestle on the show. But I guess its just one of Vince's shitty principles that, in order to get your extra $500 or whatever, you've gotta compete in a WrestleMania battle royale that actually occurs a day before WrestleMania? Its just stupid.

FWIW, @DMJ, I think they do get royalties off DVD sales. I know I've heard some older people talk about it, and iirc, it was a big part of the reason why PAC and Aries were pissed that they got left off the DVD the year they did the pre show match.