DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XXXVII - 4/10-11/2021

Dolfan in NYC

14 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Charlotte may be out of Mania entirely because of her COVID diagnosis. 

They just announced Rhea/Asuka for the title. 

I'm expecting it will end up as a triple threat or whatever they call it.  Andrade made a post on social media last night that indicated Charlotte is probably going to be ready to go once quarantine is over later this week (he was hoping she'll get back on the WM poster).  Main problem could be WWE apparently pre-taping the next few weeks of tv since they have to be out of Tropicana Field by the end of the month.

They can maybe do it where they announce a triple threat and have video packages showing her history with Asuka and RIpley.  Do that plus promos from Asuka/Ripley (perhaps Charlotte from home also) and that should be a sufficient enough build to it.

Or they could leave Charlotte out like they are leaving Bayley out?   But of course that will never happen..   

Also..  anyone else out on the Drew McIntyre main event push?   

Drew is pretty great but he's a little stale and Lashley has all the momentum..   the act with he and MVP is greatness.  They can't possibly end Night 1 with Drew over Lashley can they?!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Or they could leave Charlotte out like they are leaving Bayley out?   But of course that will never happen..   

Also..  anyone else out on the Drew McIntyre main event push?   

Drew is pretty great but he's a little stale and Lashley has all the momentum..   the act with he and MVP is greatness.  They can't possibly end Night 1 with Drew over Lashley can they?!

Wonder what will happen to both Charlotte and Bayley. I can see Bayley lumbered with her new talk show.

I wouldn't be surprised if Drew McIntyre regains the WWE Championship as it's the wrong move and also going by last night's RAW with the Hurt Business.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Wonder what will happen to both Charlotte and Bayley. I can see Bayley lumbered with her new talk show.

Part of it depends on how they feel about running larger # of people in a match (and I would say they are cool with it since they did the Rumble)

So with that said - I assume Bayley is either going to randomly find a tag partner and be in a multiple-person match for the tag titles or she will be in the returning Women's Battle Royal

• Like 1

I low key like the idea of Bayley starting her redemption arc by winning at Mania.  Bianca wins, starting Bank's spiral into full blown Boss bitch Heel.  Bayley slowly starts her path to the hugging role model babyface.  Bianca fends off a few challengers then the Boss and Hug feud reignites... or even better they move into the tag division for a full year

I'm only okay with a Firefly Fuckfest Match if we get circa-2017 Bray Wyatt saying "Randy!" the same way he did right before Orton burned down his shack. Such joy in his voice to see his buddy.

What exactly did Orton do to get tied to the Wyatt boat anchor for the last several years, anyway? Is this the universe (no pun intended) getting back at him for shitting in bags and being a general dick when he was younger?

1 hour ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I'm only okay with a Firefly Fuckfest Match if we get circa-2017 Bray Wyatt saying "Randy!" the same way he did right before Orton burned down his shack. Such joy in his voice to see his buddy.

What exactly did Orton do to get tied to the Wyatt boat anchor for the last several years, anyway? Is this the universe (no pun intended) getting back at him for shitting in bags and being a general dick when he was younger?

He may be stuck in his own personal hell loop and isn't aware of it. The real problem is that it seems like we are stuck there with him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Well said.

I know what I did to end up there, have you figured out why you are here? I mean don't tell it here, obviously, but just figure out what particular sin was this serious!

...I figured it must be the sleaze thread that got us all into the same hell loop as Orton! I mean I read through the whole thing! Some of you posted! You know who you are!

Edited by Shartnado
That makes sense. ..
  • Haha 1

Couple of notes from the new WON specific to the Mania card so I am putting them here

- Dave thinks the SDL Tag match will be turned into a 4 way that will include Gable/Otis and the Mysterios

- Obviously there will be some sort of Women's Tag Title match

- Miz/Bad Bunny was announced as a singles because both Morrison and Priest are hurt. It is possible they will both be added to the match (instead of just in corners) but since, because it involves Bad Bunny (and thus more media attention), they didn't want to false advertise

- Dave acknowledged that Charlotte COULD be added to the Raw Women's Title match (just in a random speculation way). The company policy is a positive test keeps you out for two weeks, so theoretically she would be cleared for Mania. But every case is different and Dave noted that it was surprising that they removed her from the match so quickly.

- The Battle Royals were mentioned but not as a definite thing just as a "they have been done in the past"

- Finally - and I saved this just because of size - here is the supposed reasoning for turning Edge heel and making the match a three way

Spoiler

That was a late change stemming from a decision made by Vince McMahon that he wanted a number of things changed, including Reigns vs. Edge. Numerous suggestions were made by a lot of people, most of which were said to be bad. The one eventually greenlit was adding Bryan to the match, which everyone agreed to. At that point the feeling was Bryan would be the face. There was a lot of conjecture that Reigns would have been cheered over Edge, and that may have happened and may have led to Edge going heel, but we’re told that was not the reason the match was changed. One person close to the situation said that the age issue, not as much the number as the look of age (“he was looking older each week”) with Edge was a concerning point. But really, it was said it was just McMahon wanting to shake up the plans.

The irony is that the 2021 story is now very similar to 2014, a show considered very successful, where Batista returned from a long absence as a babyface, and was to face Randy Orton for the title. Batista was getting booed by the fans. Bryan was the hottest wrestler in the promotion at the time, so they created a storyline where Bryan had to beat HHH to then make the main event a three-way, and he did so and won the three-way to take the title.

Bryan isn’t nearly as hot, but the belief is that he won’t be booed. Reigns may still be cheered as there is no way of knowing since it’s the first show in a year with a large real crowd and real crowd reactions. Edge is expecting to be booed given how his interference took place at Fast Lane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

- Finally - and I saved this just because of size - here is the supposed reasoning for turning Edge heel and making the match a three way

Shampoo?

• Haha 1

Understandably, a l lot of focus on the Edge misfire but the Banks vs Bianca feud is one of the biggest examples of a horribly built match in a while. This was a match that I thought had a legitimate shot to main event one of the nights and now I expect it to be a 10 minute early match that ends on a distraction roll-up finish. 

Aside from the representation issues, which could have been hyped more, you had a new, well-protected challenger against an established star on her hottest run. They were a billion ways they could have went with it and instead they've gone down the route of comedy and partners who can't get along. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hagan said:

Understandably, a l lot of focus on the Edge misfire but the Banks vs Bianca feud is one of the biggest examples of a horribly built match in a while. This was a match that I thought had a legitimate shot to main event one of the nights and now I expect it to be a 10 minute early match that ends on a distraction roll-up finish. 

Aside from the representation issues, which could have been hyped more, you had a new, well-protected challenger against an established star on her hottest run. They were a billion ways they could have went with it and instead they've gone down the route of comedy and partners who can't get along. 

Building up a legit seeming title fight between two top competitors would be better than the tired tag partners thing, but I’m looking forward to this more than any other match and it’s the semi main event. I think it will come across like a big deal. 

Wasn’t there a stip a few years ago that Sami/KO would never wrestle each other again? Did I dream that? Or was it was of those things were they just say “this will be the last match ever” and then hope no one remembers they said that?

45 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Wasn’t there a stip a few years ago that Sami/KO would never wrestle each other again? Did I dream that? Or was it was of those things were they just say “this will be the last match ever” and then hope no one remembers they said that?

I don't remember this at all, but I also struggle to remember lots of shit. The last time KO and Zayn were even involved with each other was what, 2016? That's a goddamn eternity in pro wrestling time and I doubt they'd honor a "LAST TIME EVAR~" thing after so long. Hell, this company gave us ONCE IN A LIFETIME twice in a calendar year.

That shot of the pirate ship at the stadium had me staring for a minute wondering why the fuck it was there, then remembered the KO pledge to jump off of it somehow. How long will the Walk n' Brawl take to get up there from the middle of the field? Not only that, but how quickly will people make AEW comparisons when integrating a football stadium into a match? Sad thing is I like KO and Zayn more than almost everyone in the Stadium Stampede match but that'll be the analogue people use.

I'm... kind of excited for Wrestlemania? It isn't the card so much as anticipation of a hardcore smark crowd getting to react live to shit for the first time in a year. I hope WWE fills the empty seats with 80s and 90s jobber pictures. Put Mike Sharpe on the hard cam.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Does vaguely ring a bell with me.

18 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I don't remember this at all, but I also struggle to remember lots of shit. The last time KO and Zayn were even involved with each other was what, 2016? That's a goddamn eternity in pro wrestling time and I doubt they'd honor a "LAST TIME EVAR~" thing after so long. Hell, this company gave us ONCE IN A LIFETIME twice in a calendar year.

That shot of the pirate ship at the stadium had me staring for a minute wondering why the fuck it was there, then remembered the KO pledge to jump off of it somehow. How long will the Walk n' Brawl take to get up there from the middle of the field? Not only that, but how quickly will people make AEW comparisons when integrating a football stadium into a match? Sad thing is I like KO and Zayn more than almost everyone in the Stadium Stampede match but that'll be the analogue people use.

I'm... kind of excited for Wrestlemania? It isn't the card so much as anticipation of a hardcore smark crowd getting to react live to shit for the first time in a year. I hope WWE fills the empty seats with 80s and 90s jobber pictures. Put Mike Sharpe on the hard cam.

Sami Zayn helped Kevin Owens beat Shane McMahon at Hell in a Cell 2017 in their HIAC maych. An alliance was formed for a bit most notably a tag match, them vs. Shane McMahon and the returning Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania XXXIV. That's as far as I remember. I'm also looking forward to WrestleMania, having the biggest crowd at a WWE event since the global pandemic. Bet Roman Reigns will be cheered more than booed, unusual for Roman at a WrestleMania. This Roman is money.

Edited by The Natural

48 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I don't think it would surprise anyone if it turns out that Shane is the one to jump off the pirate ship rather than Owens. I kind of expect that honestly.

• Like 1

My top 20 WrestleMania matches ever...

20. The Rock vs. Steve Austin. WrestleMania XIX.

19. Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. The Big Show. WrestleMania XXIV.

18. Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair. WrestleMania VIII.

17. Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage. WrestleMania VII.

16. Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H. WrestleMania XX.

15. Edge and Christian vs. Hardy Boyz vs. Dudley Boyz. WrestleMania X-Seven.

14. Steve Austin vs. The Rock. WrestleMania X-Seven.

13. Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair. WrestleMania XXIV.

12. The Undertaker vs. Batista. WrestleMania 22.

11. Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper. WrestleMania VIII.

10. The Undertaker vs. Edge. WrestleMania XXIV.

9. The Undertaker vs. Triple H. WrestleMania XXXVIII. *****.

8. Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton vs. Batista. WrestleMania XXX. *****.

7. Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels. WrestleMania X. *****.

6. The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels. WrestleMania XXVI. *****.

5. Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns. WrestleMania XXXI. *****.

4. Ricky Steamboat vs. Randy Savage. WrestleMania III. *****.

3. The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels. WrestleMania XXV. *****.

2. Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart. WrestleMania X. *****.

1. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin. WrestleMania 13. *****.

I mean Shane has to fall or jump off of something 30 feet high in order for us to give a shit about the match.   Sami vs KO doesn't necessarily need that spot to be a great match

It is weird that Edge has been "Batista'ed" for lack of a better term and they didn't really need to do it.  I have a hard time believing that fans would shit on a Reigns vs Edge WrestleMania match like they would have completely destroyed Orton vs Batista.  Frankly given how the fans have been desperate for live WWE wrestling I can't imagine anything getting completely shit on except Bray vs Orton.    Plus I don't understand this logic that Reigns would have been cheered more than Edge.  First of all I think they are underestimating how popular Edge is.  Second of all the idea that the same fans who completely shitted on Roman will now love him because he is a dick is a stretch 

Edited by hammerva

Okay - I figured it out

The build for the Battleground 2016 match was that they (Sami and KO) needed to have one more match to end the rivalry so they could both move on with their careers. Sami especially was pushing the "one last time" part. And while they certainly wrestled the match like it was their last one, it wasn't an official stipulation.

Here is the promo video which lays it all out