DVDVR Message Board

THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER (Many Spoilers HERE~!)

RIPPA

Just because I don't want it to be Friday and I realized I had been too busy to start the thread.

Same thing as what turned into the WandaVision thread - when the series starts, you don't have to use spoiler boxes for the purposes of plot points, etc... Please use them if you are going to be posting many images.

Meanwhile the trailer posted today as a little bit of new footage (at least to me).

19 hours ago, The Natural said:

Very funny.

He's not playing Avengers the game because it sucks.

I enjoyed the first episode. I think due to the episodic format, we're going to get a lot more character growth, drama, and study with Sam and Bucky. Some of it actually reminded me of the better parts of Marvel Netflix.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

He's not playing Avengers the game because it sucks.

I enjoyed the first episode. I think due to the episodic format, we're going to get a lot more character growth, drama, and study with Sam and Bucky. Some of it actually reminded me of the better parts of Marvel Netflix.

Seen you updated your post. Thanks for the review. You saying it reminds you of the better parts of Marvel Netflix, liking that. Daredevil, right? :).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Seen you updated your post. Thanks for the review. You saying it reminds you of the better parts of Marvel Netflix, liking that. Daredevil, right? :).

Yes and the better parts of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

Also happy that Bosch's Amy Aquino is in this show.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

Woah, episode 1 is up already. Thought it would be like WandaVision at 8am UK time. Off to watch it now!

Just finished watching and really enjoyed it. Hell of a set piece to open as Sam Wilson takes on Batroc and his rogues in an aerial fight. I forgot Batroc was back. I especially enjoyed seeing the Winter Soldier at his deadliest, under HYDRA control, ruthlessly efficient. Episodes deals with Bucky's traumas from that time and even how heroes don't get paid so the financials appeal is turned down for Sam's Sister business. Sobering when Bucky finds out he killed his neighbours son for witnessing what he did during that aforementioned HYDRA control flashback.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

I wrote a spoiler-free review if anyone wants to give it a look.

Now that the episode's out:

Spoiler

Glad to see Batroc Ze Leaper came back, and he actually leaps this time. 

Amy Aquino is the best actor in this show.

I enjoyed Rhodey's quiet disappointment in Sam, along with trying to gently encourage him.

Secret base...on the moon!

I think Sam's new sidekick is an idiot. Considering he becomes the new Falcon in the comics, I wonder if they plan on going that route with him.

I hope Bucky shows some irrational anger and resentment for Sam that Steve gave Sam the mantle instead. Bucky should feel like on some level it should be him. Not to mention he should berate Sam for handing the shield over to the government just so they could pass it off to John Walker.

I see what they did with Flag Smasher. Rather than a single B-list supervillain, they turned them into a collective anarchist group.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

Can't unsee:

Spoiler

Ew055tNU8AADcTY?format=jpg&name=medium

Ew07L1IU8AEfIRh?format=jpg&name=900x900

US Agent needs a punch to the face. Same goes for the clapping bearded prick who told Sam he was doing the right thing by giving Captain America's Shield to the Smithsonian Museum.

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I wrote a spoiler-free review if anyone wants to give it a look.

Now that the episode's out:

Hide contents

Glad to see Batroc Ze Leaper came back, and he actually leaps this time. 

Amy Aquino is the best actor in this show.

I enjoyed Rhodey's quiet disappointment in Sam, along with trying to gently encourage him.

Secret base...on the moon!

I think Sam's new sidekick is an idiot. Considering he becomes the new Falcon in the comics, I wonder if they plan on going that route with him.

I hope Bucky shows some irrational anger and resentment for Sam that Steve gave Sam the mantle instead. Bucky should feel like on some level it should be him. Not to mention he should berate Sam for handing the shield over to the government just so they could pass it off to John Walker.

I see what they did with Flag Smasher. Rather than a single B-list supervillain, they turned them into a collective anarchist group.

Spoiler

I didn't know that.

• Like 1

Felt like a continuation where Captain America: The Winter Soldier left off (2014). You'd just need to know what happened to Cap and explain the blip from Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and Avengers: Endgame (2019). Good to go from there. I also noticed Henry Jackman is back, the music composer for Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Captain America: Civil War (2016). Great although all too briefly hearing the Winter Soldier theme again.

Off topic: @TheVileOne, check out the Boxing & MMA forum for big UFC announcements.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Yeah, I liked that. Much slower pace and more thoughtful than I expected, with some really interesting stuff about the practicalities of being an avenger and what that means in real life. The bank scene was heartbreaking in a way. And I definitely caught the nods to the racism inherent in Financial systems, and that thought about race stuck with me as the "new" Captain America premiered. 

Think I preferred the Falcon side of this to the Bucky side, but Anthony Mackie is extremely charismatic in the role, so no surprise. My interest about the Flag Smashers is piqued, and I can see some good spy craft /thriller moments popping up in this throughout. Roll on next Friday. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

True, but the woman who leads them is named Karli Morgenthau and the Flag Smasher from the comics is named Karl Morgenthau.  I think that ultimately they are going to gender switch the Flag Smasher and place ULTIMATUM under her control.

Edited by J.T.

I hadn’t paid attention to casting on these shows, so I assumed the handprint facemasks were going to be tied to Echo (I’m also not that familiar with her from the comics), but (spoiler for another show)

Spoiler

But apparently she’s being introduced in Hawkeye.