DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/10/2021

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

REMINDER - No mid-show commentary.  It's a DVDVR rule. 

Great way to elevate MJF by putting him as boss of a group who are all lesser than him now. 

They can pull out King and Mox drinking and talking any time that they need a segment from now till forever.

BTW the fuck up on the explosion on the PPV was so bad that I think that I enjoyed the GCW Jimmy Lloyd - G-Raver barbed wire match from Saturday better.

• Sad 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Kingston and Moxley knocked it out the park. I hope Omega drops the strap to Kingston sooner rather than later. MJFTR is a fun prospect too.

57 minutes ago, Swift said:

So what was MJF's plan? What if his Inner Circle buds didn't turn on him? He was gonna run a crew of 9 guys to take on Jericho?

What if the ring exploded and Mox actually died????

I thought this was a really strong reset episode. Nothing particularly stand-out in the ring but I enjoyed almost all the storyline developments. Having the 2 best talkers in the company promo on the PPV finish was as good of a recovery as they could have done. Acknowledge it, poke fun at it, move on.

I am down for Omega vs Christian and vs Kingston in the foreseeable future. The only Good Brothers match I could possibly be interested in is a 6-man against Mox/Kingston/Christian. I think they should have had Christian talk though, he is a strong promo guy and this is his second appearance. I agree with whoever said the bait and switch interview segments are becoming a meme for this promotion, they need to stop doing that.

Sting vs Archer or Darby vs Archer is fine with me. Doesn't set my world on fire but it's fine use of Archer in the short-term.

Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky are both completely unimpressive wrestlers and need to be shuffled down to Dark as soon as possible. Both had a big opportunity to shine and were 'fine' at best. There's guys with much more upside in AEW they should give that airtime to.

Page-Dark Order bit killed me and I'm down to see a Big Money Matt vs Dark Order faction battle in the short-term before moving both sides along.

Main event segment was pretty good. Spears as a fall guy in tags is a decent shout out for his inclusion, but otherwise yeah he stands out in a bad way here. Interested to see what the Inner Circle do as a babyface unit and also glad they didn't go down the predictable 'New Four Horsemen' route for MJF's new faction.

Penta vs Cody is a match I have no interest in, but it is atleast something fresh so I'll even take that as a positive.

Are they going to run the SCU tag title shot at the next PPV? I could see the titles vs careers stip adding enough stakes to make it worthy of being on that show.

As for Scorpio, I  think he becomes Kaz's partner once SCU loses and Daniels retires, my guess is that's in a few months vs the Bucks.

I agree neither of them really have ever stood out for me.  They're interchangable with guys like Spears.  Good hands, but not anyone you'd push unless you're out of ideas (or in Sky's case maybe Rooster Teeth money?)

Edited by alstein

I agree that there's something going on with Christian. He debuts on a ppv and appears on the following tv episode - he should have gotten an opportunity to talk by now. And both times when he didn't talk, it was obvious there was something out of the ordinary happening.

What's odd is, pretty much the same thing is happening with Ethan Page.  During his match, I was like "He's controlling the match and not doing anything flashy, so he's a heel?  I guess?"  But we don't know, he hasn't told us anything.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hobo joe said:

Love Maki Itoh's gimmick but she's got to learn to lay in those mic shots

I think it was one of those things where she deafened herself with the first shot and then just took it easy on her ears.  You can see she's wearing a monitor headset, so that mic was feeding right into her.  She got a decent thump off the first shot but I imagine it couldn't have done wonders for her ears.

Edited by GojiColin
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

God help me, get Page away from those people. 

How dare you sir! Hangman with Dark Order is my weekly highlight, the loveable goofs! Feared something bad when the lawnmower almost flipped as page drove away though. 

8 hours ago, AxB said:

So in the Best Friends interview in the arcade, Orange Cassidy was sitting in the Fast and Furious game. Character consistency, right there.

So glad someone else spotted this, I was grinning when I noticed it. 

Fun show, lots of storyline movement, some good in ring action. I'm entertained. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Swift said:

So what was MJF's plan? What if his Inner Circle buds didn't turn on him? He was gonna run a crew of 9 guys to take on Jericho?

Pretty confident MJF’s plan was to have Hager and PNP turn on Jericho to break the Inner Circle fellowship once and for all, and then double cross them by debuting his new group to clean up the scraps.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Well, I'm glad this community could give guys at this level some pointers on how to get out of a shitty situation with a combination of logic and comedy. That went about as well as it could ever have. 

Legit the best thing to ever come out of Cody's TNT title run was Eddie Kingston debuting and then getting signed. Jesus, that promo those two did almost makes up for the dud of an explosion.

Also, yes, Maki Itoh does that entrance every time. Unless she's super serious and focused, then she forgoes it. It's happened a few times.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, just drew said:

I don’t get the Spears hate. He’s fine. A solid worker with good offense. He’s the least over member of that group but that’s no big deal.

I dug that show. Sweet Jesus I hope they don’t put the fucking Impact tag team titles on Moxley and Kingston. That’d almost be worse than making a guy go on live tv wearing a gas mask.

Fuck Kenny Omega. Fuck him up his stupid ass. His forced nonchalance on the mic doesn’t fool me, and his pretentious ring work makes him a chore to watch. He’s Seth Rollins with shitty hair. Shittier hair. Hopefully the King gets a run with the strap. Or Christian. Or literally fucking anyone that doesn’t want to make me sink into a sensory deprivation chamber.

Maki Itoh kicks ass.

Also, I’m pretty sure I know the engineer at tnt that fucked the sound all up...

Imagine for a moment that you could accept Kenny Omega as the incredible talent he is.  Then you wouldn’t have to post to every weekly thread how much you hate him.  That said, always find insight in your posts pre-Omega hate rant that I completely agree with.  No different here.

I loved this show.  From start to finish.  Everything.  The Pentagon promo and brawl may have been my highlight.

15 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Imagine for a moment that you could accept Kenny Omega as the incredible talent he is.  Then you wouldn’t have to post to every weekly thread how much you hate him.  That said, always find insight in your posts pre-Omega hate rant that I completely agree with.  No different here.

I loved this show.  From start to finish.  Everything.  The Pentagon promo and brawl may have been my highlight.

2 things:

- I see Kenny omega as the “talent” he is. 

- don’t be mad at me, he’s the one that sucks.

When Kenny Omega stops consistently being the worst fucking part of every show he’s on, I’ll stop posting about it. Sound good?

• Like 1

This is why the Something for Everyone booking approach works. Getting fans who like Shawn Spears and hate Kenny Omega to watch the show even when Kenny is World,champ, what a gift.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

What is hugely impressive to me on the outside in is how they're hitting so many big marks one after the other.

Two weeks ago there was the Big Show. Last week they did Cody vs Shaq. At the PPV they did the exploding match and debuted Christian. Then they had the big new stable last night. Plus all of the women's and midcard stuff. None of it really felt like hotshotting because it's all different programs up and down the card. It doesn't seem perfect, but things have stakes and build and payoff and things happen. There are a lot of fires burning.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 8