DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/10/2021

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

REMINDER - No mid-show commentary.  It's a DVDVR rule. 

Pretty much time for AEW and Scorpio Sky to shit or get off the pot. This is his big chance and while I think there are a host of better options, he's at that age (37 going on 38) where if they're going to commit to him, they need to do it now. I don't think he's shown enough fire or passion to be a star. I'd like to be wrong here. Don't get him doing the WWE style heel turn without an actual heel turn either, but it's probably better than generic smiling babyface.

• Like 1

I'm somewhat on the fence about Scorp winning. He probably needs the win or he's going to be stuck in start/stop push hell and the population of that realm in AEW is pretty small. As a worker, I think he's talented as fuck. As a talker...Ehhhhh...I'd give him about a C or something. Not to get all business-y, but Scorp winning likely means less air time for Darby, who is one of their biggest draws and most popular wrestlers. Scorp comes nowhere close to filling that void and doesn't have the same aura that Darby has. I don't know...It's a tough choice. I was really high on Scorp until he became the dominator of AEW Dark. Now though, I don't know if I want to see him win and if he loses, it makes the golden donut match look pretty silly.

This Inner Circle shit needs to end. The angle needs to take an interesting turn and MJF staging a coup and ousting Jericho isn't it. All of the Inner Circle stuff feels very separate from the rest of AEW. Maybe Jericho is booking all of it and that's why that is. Either way, Inner Circle stuff has followed this pattern of there being a match or two, followed by a big conference with them all, followed by a couple or few more matches, and then another big conference, rinse, repeat. I would almost like to see Santana and Ortiz say fuck all y'all and join up with a returning Sammy, Hager sticks with Jericho I guess, and then of course you have Wardlow and MJF.

MORE MAKI ITOH! YEEEEEESSSSSSSS!

And is "Sting Speaks" short for, "Sting speaks, but is quickly interrupted by another party and he doesn't get to say what he came out to say?"

• Like 2

I figured the story would be that Scorp beats a weakened Darby from the street fight. 

But @Jijimakes a great point, we haven't had that full blown turn yet. 

So now I'm thinking Darby goes over here "against the odds," and Scorpio does the whole "snap after the loss" thing, complete with Jericho chair tantrum, leading to our rematch

• Like 1

Scorpio has done nothing to get me excited for him winning the title, but I will try and be open minded if he does. To me I’d be more bummed on the fact that Darby’s reign almost made me less into him. We went from Cody having awesome matches every week to Darby having (at least according to my poor memory) 2 defenses in 4 or so months, which didn’t really make him look like a fighting champion. I just want to see him wrestle and go crazy in the ring, but instead I’ve just been subjected to a bunch of vignettes and run ins of him, while Cody’s reign looks downright legendary in comparison. And another Sting segment, ugh. This one is actually kind of warranted, it’s just too bad I’m sick of them. This is the first Dynamite I can think of where I’m most looking forward to the women’s match.

Edited by A.M.B.

I really like Scorpio Sky.  I don't understand why they didn't just turn the entire SCU after or even before their tag title loss.  All three were completely stale.  By turning all three they could've potentially freshened them up, and most importantly they could have Christopher Daniels cutting heel promos.  Why Daniels is a meandering babyface when Scorp clearly needs a talking second is just a complete oversight by AEW.  

Darby losing to Sky who has barely done anything in however long is not a smart move.  Makes Darby's title run as weak a run as anyone has had with a title in the company.  He's barely defended it.  Last we saw of Sky he was being pinned by Shawn Spears.  Not exactly a great position to be in.  

Anyway, hope they figure some shit out.  Smilin' Scorp, happy to be there, is not exactly a money player.  

3 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I really like Scorpio Sky.  I don't understand why they didn't just turn the entire SCU after or even before their tag title loss.  All three were completely stale.  By turning all three they could've potentially freshened them up, and most importantly they could have Christopher Daniels cutting heel promos.  Why Daniels is a meandering babyface when Scorp clearly needs a talking second is just a complete oversight by AEW.  

Darby losing to Sky who has barely done anything in however long is not a smart move.  Makes Darby's title run as weak a run as anyone has had with a title in the company.  He's barely defended it.  Last we saw of Sky he was being pinned by Shawn Spears.  Not exactly a great position to be in.  

Anyway, hope they figure some shit out.  Smilin' Scorp, happy to be there, is not exactly a money player.  

Your post actually makes me realize the best thing for a potential heel Scorp would actually probably be Spears' spot in FTR.

Or here's one: how about Cody gets pissed off at Arn for putting the 4 finger stamp of approval on FTR, and then Arn turns on Cody and becomes Scorpio's coach instead. Now he's got both a talker and a built in issue.

• Like 1

Scorpio Sky shouldn't win the belt. Have him lose and turn heel, fully get into the whole super cocky character. Hell, maybe even come back later and beat Darby but not right now. 

I think it's time for some character shifts. Eddie Kingston is seemingly turning face so where does that leave his compatriots? Same with Sky and SCU. Let's have some actual storyline beats and not just title wins because of some stupid fucking matter match. 

8 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Your post actually makes me realize the best thing for a potential heel Scorp would actually probably be Spears' spot in FTR.

Or here's one: how about Cody gets pissed off at Arn for putting the 4 finger stamp of approval on FTR, and then Arn turns on Cody and becomes Scorpio's coach instead. Now he's got both a talker and a built in issue.

I like Arn with the Nightmare Family.  I like seeing him coaching Lee Johnson and Red Velvet and the like.  I also want Arn's eventual turn to be a lot bigger.  Not sure what exactly, but something more than a Cody annoyance.  I'd honestly just like to see SCU reform as heels.  Let Daniels cut promos for Scorp and Kazarian. 

• Like 1

Scorpio Sky winning the title would be batshit crazy. Total jobber vibe & it feels like Darby barely just got it. Has Darby even had a genuine singles feud since he won it? He was practically immediately shoved into that mob-handed Team Tazz thing. Where on earth do they take Darby next if he loses it here? Can't imagine that's how it goes. Sky has done absolutely nothing to make anyone think he was the next title-destination before he was randomly shoved into that ill conceived ladder match.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, A_K said:

Has Darby even had a genuine singles feud since he won it? He was practically immediately shoved into that mob-handed Team Tazz thing. 

Team Taz was literally *created* to get at Darby back in May of last year.  He definitley wasn’t shoved into that feud after winning the belt in November.  Everything that’s happened with Sting since then has been a continuation of the original Darby/Cage beef from almost a year ago.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

Team Taz was literally *created* to get at Darby back in May of last year.  He definitley wasn’t shoved into that feud after winning the belt in November.  Everything that’s happened with Sting since then has been a continuation of the original Darby/Cage beef from almost a year ago.

Its been mostly utter dirge & a platform to publicise Tazz and his son (the less said about what's happened to Hobbs the better .. not sure if he's even had singles or tag action on Dynamite in 2021), and if Darby was to lose the title & that encapsulates his run it would have been messy and horrific.

Edited by A_K