DVDVR Message Board

UFC 259: Błachowicz vs. Adesanya (3/6/2021) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_259_B%C5%82achowicz_vs._Adesanya_Pos

UFC 259: Błachowicz vs. Adesanya 
March 6, 2021
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Jan Błachowicz © (205) vs. Israel Adesanya (200.5) (first defense) - Błachowicz, DEC (unanimous)
UFC Women's Featherweight ChampionshipAmanda Nunes © (145) vs. Megan Anderson (144.5) (second defense) - Nunes, SUB (armbar), R1 (2:03)
UFC Bantamweight Championship: Petr Yan © (135) vs. Aljamain Sterling (134.5) (first defense) - Sterling, DQ (illegal knee to grounded opponent), R4 (4:29)
Islam Makhachev (156) vs. Drew Dober (156) - Makhachev, SUB (arm triangle choke), R3 (1:37)
Thiago Santos (206) vs. Aleksandar Rakić (206) - Rakić, DEC (unanimous)    

ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Dominick Cruz (136) vs. Casey Kenney (136) - Cruz, DEC (split)
Song Yadong (135.5) vs. Kyler Phillips (136) - Phillips, DEC (unanimous)
Joseph Benavidez (125.5) vs. Askar Askarov (127)* - Askarov, DEC (unanimous)
Rogério Bontorin (126) vs. Kai Kara-France (125.5) - Kara-France, KO (punch), R1 (4:55)

ESPN+ / Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Tim Elliott (125.5) vs. Jordan Espinosa (126) - Elliott, DEC (unanimous)
Kennedy Nzechukwu (205.5) vs. Carlos Ulberg (205) - Nzechukwu, TKO (punches), R2 (3:19)
Sean Brady (170.5) vs. Jake Matthews (169.5) - Brady, SUB (arm triangle choke), R3 (3:28)
Lívia Renata Souza (116) vs. Amanda Lemos (116) - Lemos, TKO (punches), R1 (3:29)
Uroš Medić (156) vs. Aalon Cruz (155) - Medić, TKO (punches), R1 (1:40)
Mario Bautista (135.5) vs. Trevin Jones (134.5) - Jones, TKO (punches), R2 (0:40)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Uroš Medić
Performance of the Night: Kai Kara-France
Fight of the Night: Kennedy Nzechukwu vs. Carlos Ulberg

Buyrate: 800,000

Here I was thinking it would be hard for Aljamain to live down the getting posterized by Marlon Moraes. Now he's on the verge of possibly being a UFC champion. At least with Bisping after the first fight with Dan Henderson, he basically took a circuitous route to becoming middleweight champion along with an injury to somebody. Aljamain did this in a relatively short time and started looking like a world beater.

And as much as I like Petr Yan, I think this is his toughest career test. He's facing another good to great athlete in his athletic prime. Everyone of his opponents (save for maybe Jimmie Rivera) in the UFC, I thought he should absolutely house. This one...Aljamain is incredibly well rounded. He may not be AS flashy as Petr Yan, but he's usually effective.

• Like 2

Looking forward to UFC 259. It's only the seventh show to have three title fights on. It's a loaded card with four of my favourite fighters in Israel Adesanya, Amanda Nunes, Megan Anderson and Dominick Cruz, the Bantamweight GOAT. Something seeing Cruz on the prelims and in a three round fight.

I don't know if they will play in Saturday, but based on the presser standoff, is Megan Anderson that much taller than Amanda or was she just wearing heels that made her that much taller than Amanda?

It's funny because I saw this morning that Struve confirmed his retirement is permanent. That situation of where if Struve had lived up to his potential (although in hindsight, you can say a lot of that "potential" was an illusion) and challenged for a title that he would be a giant in the cage against any opponent is happening now with Megan Anderson. They are more women now who are 5'6, 5'7", or 5'8" even if they aren't really featherweights. However, that ain't six feet tall.

I will be pulling for Stylebender, but I like both Israel and Jan and hope that the fight is competitive and clean.  We will see if Adesanya putting his 0 on the line and moving up in weight to challenge for a second title will be worth it. 

Jan is sure to be fighting with a chip on his shoulder tomorrow night.  Fighters that think they have something to prove are extremely dangerous.  Israel isn't in there with dumb ass Paolo Costa.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't know if they will play in Saturday, but based on the presser standoff, is Megan Anderson that much taller than Amanda or was she just wearing heels that made her that much taller than Amanda?

It's funny because I saw this morning that Struve confirmed his retirement is permanent. That situation of where if Struve had lived up to his potential (although in hindsight, you can say a lot of that "potential" was an illusion) and challenged for a title that he would be a giant in the cage against any opponent is happening now with Megan Anderson. They are more women now who are 5'6, 5'7", or 5'8" even if they aren't really featherweights. However, that ain't six feet tall.

Looks like Megan has at less 4 inches on Nunes & that could be more with how we know Height can be billed as. 

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Really looking forward to this. I'm going with Adesanya, Nunes, Yan, Makhachev and Rakic.

I think I am also going with Nunes.  We shall see how much Megan's reach advantage counts for after she's taken an elbow to the grill.

Edited by J.T.

It's been six years and I had no idea that Megan Olivi and Joe Benavidez were married.

Lucky bastard!

Megan Olivi and Michelle Waterson break the internet.

uUlSKw5NmFg6kSN_MwLne_BYSBAOMUwA2lMX5kXu

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1