DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/3/2021

Dolfan in NYC

As far as anyone knows, Christian hasn’t signed a new deal w wwe. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t throw everything they can at him between now and Sunday, but no one has confirmed he’s under contract anywhere. Mox also spoke at length not long ago about how AEW needed Christian. He’s the most obvious pick IMO, which means it won’t be him.

also, that stuff about Reba not being medically cleared has to be the path to debuting Thea, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Stop. Signing. Legends.

I actually disagree with that, with the caveat that they have WCW/TNT ties like Sting and Paul Wight, but I'll admit part of that is the old WCW fan in me that is thrilled to have a major company not named WWE carry on the legacy of WCW/JCP. I'd happily make an exception for Christian, as he's super underrated and never gotten the proper respect from WWE in my eyes (and while I didn't watch much of his TNA run, I'd argue that he's one of a few former WWE guys that bolstered their legacy with that company). As long as his head/neck is good to go, I think he could be very useful in the ring (he was still performing close to peak level before he had to step away previously). 

• Like 2

Booker T might be interesting- I think he's trained some AEW folks, he probably can still go a bit, has history with Cody, and he is a Hall-of-Famer.

The big thing I'd want is for whoever it is to not hurt the show.  I think they've got a great roster and don't need any new big additions- they need to make stars instead- and they are more than capable of doing that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alstein said:

Booker T might be interesting- I think he's trained some AEW folks, he probably can still go a bit, has history with Cody, and he is a Hall-of-Famer.

The big thing I'd want is for whoever it is to not hurt the show.  I think they've got a great roster and don't need any new big additions- they need to make stars instead- and they are more than capable of doing that.

And when TNA thought the same thing he tried for about 3 weeks and got extremely lazy and didn't help anyone.   

Signing Christian doesn't do anything for me except another ex WWE that is going to way higher on the food chain than guys who have been in AEW since the beginning.

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

Reddit seems to think it's Lesnar, Angle, Cena or Punk. A few think Christian.

I feel like this has been said many times, but Christian has supposedly already signed with WWE.

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I feel like this has been said many times, but Christian has supposedly already signed with WWE.

That’s been confirmed since I posted like two hours ago.

Just now, Craig H said:

Meltzer said on the radio show this morning that he didn't believe Christian was signed. (He very well could be) But I think that is why Christian is still being mentioned.

It would be a little surprising to me if it was Christian just because, unless specifically told by the WWE you aren't getting another match, I figure he is gonna hang around there until they use him again

People thinking it could be Cena are amazing to me

Cena doesn't even have time to do shit for WWE and he's basically a WWE lifer. What would make people think that he'd instantly start having time for AEW that he doesn't already have for WWE?

I suppose it could be Brock, but I don't see him wanting to travel back and forth from one end of the country to the other.

No way it's CM Punk with Colt in AEW.

I can't even begin to think of a HoF signing that's a woman aside from Lita or Trish and I have no desire seeing either of them wrestle.

So yeah, it's probably Kurt, which to me is a disappointment. He's going to wind up being another legend manager, his body is a complete wreck (seriously, I think Mutoh or Kobashi's knees are better than Kurt's), there's no way he's going to work a match, so it just feels like a waste.

Oh well. It's AEW. Their track record is more than good when it comes to this stuff so I'll give it a chance, but I'm prepared for disappointment.

I like Christian plenty, I admire him for having the balls to go to TNA and be NWA Champ there, I like his WWECW run a lot, I like that he got a run with the World Title. But I don't think he'd be a good AEW signing.

I hope it's a heelish swerve by Paul Wight and it's James Ellsworth or something. 

4 minutes ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I like Christian plenty, I admire him for having the balls to go to TNA and be NWA Champ there, I like his WWECW run a lot, I like that he got a run with the World Title. But I don't think he'd be a good AEW signing.

I hope it's a heelish swerve by Paul Wight and it's James Ellsworth or something. 

Considering Ellsworth is a creep, I doubt it.

• Like 1

BTW, this has to be a very positive sign for Revolution. They pop a nearly 1 million viewership for the go-home episode and it's widely regarded as another very good episode. They should do another 100k buys easily. I wonder what rating the Road to Revolution show did afterward.

Did anyone else watch that and is it worth watching? I have it recorded, but I just don't know if I want to spend the time watching it.

Last nights show did a great job in feeling like a build up and a blow off at the same time. Some of the past go home shows felt predictable or overly gimmicky to film bits for the hype videos, but this one held my attention the whole time. I think not having Shaq’s match on PPV was definitely for the best.

The biggest problem with the show is still the pacing and production to me. I’m so sick of the entrance music with run ins (they always do this with Darby Allin) and then playing them off as soon as one small string of offense is hit. The lights out bit is also really overdone and especially with no crowds feels unnecessary. Really wish they would slow things down and let post match angles fade out just a few seconds longer; often times it feels like a hectic episode of Impact to me.

Even on an episode like this that I really enjoyed, I’m always looking back in amazement at how many matches have some form of interference or post match beat down. I’d be really interested to see some statistics since Dynamite’s inception, but it seems like 75% of the matches have some variation of a manager interfering, a heel cheating behind the refs back, or someone getting beat down post match and chased off. It’s getting tiring fast.

Edited by A.M.B.

I don't see Booker coming in due to the Bad Bunny video, no way he isn't locked into a Legends deal. Though I guess AEW signing him would certainly be an interesting way of trying to capitalize on that. Imagine being WWE, and having this mainstream rapper on your roster, and you can't even play his new hit video because the star is under contract to the competition. Stupid as fuck, ultra-petty, waste of money, yes, but I can't honestly say it wouldn't be kinda delicious.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
That said, I now think it's Angle
  • Like 1

Looks like this Shaq bout is getting lots of media talk.  It was indeed a good outing, especially loved the Gunn Club beatdown, but still such a shame they wasted so much promo-potential in the really weak build.  

Fenix and Pac murdered those scrubs.  That's how ya do it!

Inner Circle bit was fine.  As good as the Bucks r in ring their promos could sure use some work.  When they turn up the babyface personnas they come off as such whiny dweebs.  
This whole Dad getting beat down feels a bit ridiculous seeing as the Jacksons were fucking up announcers, etc. for weeks not so long ago.  That said I still expect they'll lead Friedman and Jericho to a nice bout.  

I just love Tully!  That was hideous ring attire, but it didn't hinder him from hitting that sweet Slingshot Suplex. This six man was a treat.  Poor Shawn Spears.

I skimmed Nyla-Mizunami.  It seemed well fought.  Glad they went with the fresh match up for Sunday.  It's been going on for awhile now, but what is up with Shida's garish eye make-up?  I mean if yr gonna go in that direction could we get a little lipstick on the teeth?

Can we get Brian Cage a better fitting denim?  I think this Street Fight might be fun, but I'm looking forward to moving on from this repetitive Sting/Darby-Team Taz angle.

So does TK see himself thru Max Castor like Heyman saw himself thru Raven and Vince thru the Lex Express?  10 has gotta be one of the worst outfitted characters on the roster.  And that's saying something.  As per an earlier mention, I don't see AEW exploiting Negative 1.  They've really done something special for the kid during a really hard time.  That said, I kinda cringe seeing him out there too.  Maybe I'm not open minded enough, but I just don't care to see children as managers.  

The Main this week was a bit blah.  Hoping to see Hangman decisively beat the shit out of Big Money Matt in quick fashion at the PPV.  Digging Hardy's heel persona, but would rather him work the stick than the mat.  The cluster of teams running out at the end was lame.  Also kinda lame that neither Omega or Moxley appeared on the show.  I like the mentality of spreading out who's on the show week to week, but getting some 'words' prior to the big match would have been beneficial.  In general, AEW could benefit from finding some bits to get their 'top guys' on the show week to week.  

As for Tall Paul's scoop.  He said specifically 'hall of fame worthy'.  I think that cuts anybody mentioned already in the Hall.  Tho I'd love to see Kurt Angle get a proper retirement run and match, from following his terrific new pod, I can't imagine he'd be ready to lace up his boots again.  I think 'hall of fame worthy' certainly indicates Christian as a possibility.  Whatever! I like and appreciate the suggested big star surprise and inevitable talk.  

Big stars aside, I'm looking forward to the possibility of Ethan Page in AEW.  I've seen very little of him, but what I have seen has impressed me.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus