DVDVR Message Board

2021 NCAAB - MADNESS

RIPPA

I don't know which is sadder- the idea that these shit-stains post their crap freely without any fear of retribution, or the fact that there actually usually isn't any.

TLDR: CBS is banning TV stations from showing tournament highlights until after their own recap show ends, so the enterprising young go-getter above pulled off a nifty workaround.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Reports are out that Shaka Smart is leaving Texas to coach Marquette

He turned down Marquette when he was coaching VCU.  I wonder what is different now since Texas seems to be kicking into gear finally.

4 minutes ago, DEAN said:

He turned down Marquette when he was coaching VCU.  I wonder what is different now since Texas seems to be kicking into gear finally.

Going under .500 in the conference for six years and never making it out of the first round was probably making his seat a little hot, and with the UT admin doubling down on being idiots it probably sounded like a good time to move along.

I'm still salty that Wisconsin probably could have had him if Bo Ryan hadn't insisted on coming back to not actually coach 12 games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Going under .500 in the conference for six years and never making it out of the first round was probably making his seat a little hot, and with the UT admin doubling down on being idiots it probably sounded like a good time to move along.

Shaka is a good guy and guess having to recruit against rape factories like Baylor could be a bit much, too.

13 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Shaka is a good guy and guess having to recruit against rape factories like Baylor could be a bit much, too.

Oh yeah, Smart seems like one of the genuinely good guys in college basketball and I wish more coaches were like him

But

I think his style puts a ceiling on his success.  I just don't think you can consistently win against high level talent with an all-pressure defense like his.  Once you run into a team that's athletic enough or smart enough to break the pressure you're done for.

Shaka's Marquette team vs Mike Anderson's St John's team should be a real fun game, though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Oh yeah, Smart seems like one of the genuinely good guys in college basketball and I wish more coaches were like him

But

I think his style puts a ceiling on his success.  I just don't think you can consistently win against high level talent with an all-pressure defense like his.  Once you run into a team that's athletic enough or smart enough to break the pressure you're done for.

Shaka's Marquette team vs Mike Anderson's St John's team should be a real fun game, though.

Yeah, Mike Rhoades fixed Shaka's defense and installed it at VCU so we're just waiting for some college to back the brinks truck up and lure him away.

Big Sky Player of the year Tanner Groves and his brother Jacob both entered the Transfer portal today

They were at Eastern Washington whose HC just left for Portland (and Eastern Washington just promoted an assistant)

It turns out that, if you get the conference player and defensive player of the year off the court with two fouls in less than 45 seconds to start the game, your odds of pulling a big upset increase dramatically.

On 3/27/2021 at 3:58 PM, Zimbra said:

Me, the first weekend of the NCAA tournament: I love upsets!

Me, the second weekendt: Oh, right.

yNwuiNR.jpg

This is why I love the first four days of the tournament so much more than the rest of it.  First two rounds are generally wall-to-wall games, wacky matchups, and improbable upsets.  Most of the Cinderellas have one, maybe two games in them, so the round of 16 - and especially the rounds - after that, usually end up being the usual suspects.  Still good basketball, but I'm usually all about the small schools pulling one off.

• Like 2

I think it is nice that Kim Mulkey said what the NCAA really thinks out loud and said she thinks that apparently COVID testing should be stopped for the Final Four part of the tournament.   at least she didn't have this opinion while her team made it to the Final Four.     First of all there is no way the NCAA is going to enforce it.  You can have guys and girls coughing and weezing on the floor and the money is too important for them to reconsider