DVDVR Message Board

2021 NCAAB - MADNESS

RIPPA

The NIT will be played this year (at least that's the plan)

Bubble in Dallas-Fort Worth

Only 16 teams and no automatic qualifiers

I would say that people would bitch about the no automatic qualifiers thing but I can see so many teams opting to end their seasons instead of dealing with more COVID protocols.

Might as well start the thread. Barring a catastrophe, and in this day and age... who the f knows...  there will be a March Madness tournament. 

Whoever is playing in a tournament starts this weekend, the tournament itself starts in 2 weeks (3/18).  

Everyone plays in Indiana, and the finals will be at Lucas Oil Stadium.   

As weird as it's going to be... here we go:

ESPN has #20 Loyola-Chicago as a lock for the dance. Realistically, they should run the table at Arch Madness to make it official because I don't trust the tourney committee any farther than I can throw them.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Jim Boeheim is a dick. I am sure you are all shocked

It must suck to have your decisions questioned by a reporter who's never played basketball and is 5'2" - and whose criticism was right.

Jim Boeheim is human trash. 

On 3/2/2021 at 11:08 AM, Pete said:

ESPN has #20 Loyola-Chicago as a lock for the dance. Realistically, they should run the table at Arch Madness to make it official because I don't trust the tourney committee any farther than I can throw them.

The Ramblers run the table. Drake (25-4, NET 47) will be sweating the next week.

On a similar note - the NCAA says that a team will need only 5 healthy players to compete in the tournament.

When asked about the coaching staff they kinda threw up their arms and were like "we haven't figured that out yet"

ALSO - if a team is selected for the tournament but then has to pull out due to COVID - they can be replaced up until sometime Tuesday evening. After that point, a team withdrawing means its opponent will get a bye

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Well it is a good thing for them they are getting in because they are Duke.  Must be nice

For what its worth both Duke's AD and Coach K have said their season is over

Good news: G'town knocked out Villanova from the Big East tournament.

Bad news: G'town HC Patrick Ewing was stopped multiple times by MSG security who didn't know who he was (!). 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Good news: G'town knocked out Villanova from the Big East tournament.

Bad news: G'town HC Patrick Ewing was stopped multiple times by MSG security who didn't know who he was (!). 

Maybe the guards only remember guys who win titles.

Edited by Tabe
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Teams only need 5 healthy players? Fuck yeah. Hoosiers style! Coincidentally, I just watched Hoosiers two days ago before seeing that in Rippa's post.

I love that movie.  

Lately, I've been watching old Sisek & Ebert reviews on Youtube.  It's been great fun.  Listening to them predict things ("future star Nicole Kidman", "the bright spot of Ferris Bueller is the sister.  Look out for her!") is great.  Anyway, they reviewed Hoosiers and Siskel just trashed it.  He's so far off the mark it's hilarious.  His main criticism ended up being "I'm a basketball fan and anybody familiar with Indiana basketball knows this would never have happened in real life.  They'd have gotten crushed."  He was dead serious, LOL.

UVA becomes the 2nd team that has to withdraw from the ACC tournament due to positive COVID tests.

Really interesting how the local folks who were claiming that Duke faked it aren't saying the same about Virginia

GA Tech moves on the final to play the winner of FSU/UNC

EDIT - I should note that UVA can still play in the NCAA tournament since 

To play in the NCAA tournament, a team needs to show seven consecutive negative daily tests before arriving in Indianapolis

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

UVA becomes the 2nd team that has to withdraw from the ACC tournament due to positive COVID tests.

Really interesting how the local folks who were claiming that Duke faked it aren't saying the same about Virginia

GA Tech moves on the final to play the winner of FSU/UNC

EDIT - I should note that UVA can still play in the NCAA tournament since 

In a switch, @RIPPA now has me on ignore. ?

11 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I love that movie.  

Lately, I've been watching old Sisek & Ebert reviews on Youtube.  It's been great fun.  Listening to them predict things ("future star Nicole Kidman", "the bright spot of Ferris Bueller is the sister.  Look out for her!") is great.  Anyway, they reviewed Hoosiers and Siskel just trashed it.  He's so far off the mark it's hilarious.  His main criticism ended up being "I'm a basketball fan and anybody familiar with Indiana basketball knows this would never have happened in real life.  They'd have gotten crushed."  He was dead serious, LOL.

I feel like I'm not surprised that Siskel trashed it. As someone who actually has lived in Indiana their whole life, it's not that far fetched that it wouldn't have happened. Indiana doesn't do it anymore, but we used to have a huge state-wide tournament with all of the basketball teams and you'd have smaller schools progressing. Hell, my high school was one of the biggest and wealthiest in the state and I remember our basketball team not being that good (football was and still is where it's at for that school.

Now Kansas is out of the Big 12 tournament after having a player, who played against OU yesterday, test positive.  They had already left two players at home due to COVID protocols.

They're really gonna get 68 teams together in the same city, huh?