DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2021

Casey

24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Holy shit! I just watched a clip from that Luchasaurus vs Boner match. That's quite possibly the worst wrestling I've seen in quite some time. I would have just cut that out of Dark entirely.

The clip that's been going around with the "woah nelly" is just the appetizer to a buffet of awful. It's so bad you should probably watch it. The 'best' part is once the overt terrible opening wears off (including the most obvious repeat the spot call of all of human history) it settles into some boring, boring garbage.

6 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Has Luchasaurus regressed? I remember him being really green in LU but getting significantly better since showing up in AEW. Lately he's been looking pretty sloppy once again.

I don't think he's regressed, but that dude isn't carrying someone to good matches. And in a tag match setting, he's almost always good because even if the team isn't up to snuff, which is somewhat rare in AEW, then he can just be relied on for tag spots and big man spots.

• Like 3

Oh FFS I just saw that "Whoa nelly" clip and you weren't kidding.  What sucks is I like Avalon's shtick yet ever since Cezar and Ryan at times joined him I most of the time just skip their stuff.  Nothing against any of them but I just don't care to see Cezar and/or Ryan wrestle.

Yeah, luchasaurus has never been good but could at least chain a few decent looking spots (in slow motion) together for a hot tag. The sooner he is not emphasized or teamed with Marko permanently allowing Jungle Jack Boy Perry to go solo full time the better. 

I checked some of the match and they cut out that botch.  Which is fine by me but it should have never made it to Youtube in the first place.  But what I did see didn't seem that bad unless there's some crazy amounts of editing going on.  Oh, and 10 with the bloody mouth is still there so I guess they just yanked it for the botch.

34 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I checked some of the match and they cut out that botch.  Which is fine by me but it should have never made it to Youtube in the first place.  But what I did see didn't seem that bad unless there's some crazy amounts of editing going on.  Oh, and 10 with the bloody mouth is still there so I guess they just yanked it for the botch.

Oh yeah, it was recut. The whole leapfrog, drop down, pass, running kick spot was done twice the original showing.

• Like 1

There’s just no reason Luchasaurus needs to be having longer matches. If it’s not a tag, let him squash some guys. He’s a literal monster. Dinosaurs didn’t do choreographed exchanges (look it up, it’s in the Bible), they did squashes. That’s until they all got jobbed out to the meteor. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, Log said:

There’s just no reason Luchasaurus needs to be having longer matches. If it’s not a tag, let him squash some guys. He’s a literal monster. Dinosaurs didn’t do choreographed exchanges (look it up, it’s in the Bible), they did squashes. That’s until they all got jobbed out to the meteor. 

Dinosaurs weren't monsters, man.  Come on, that's hurtful.  Be a star.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Have they established if Luchasaurus is a carnivore or herbivore? When I was going through my dinosaur phase as a kid, I always thought carnivorous dinosaurs were bad guys and herbivores were good guys.

That brings back memories. I thought the same thing.

Dynamite and Dark Elevation were my first time seeing Maki Itoh. Clearly massively charismatic and I thought she was pretty smooth in-ring at times, but then some of her stuff just looked really bad. Her strikes, in particular, looked comically weak to the point I was thinking it must be deliberate for whatever reason.

Also, is there some sort of back story to her hard head gimmick? Having this little cutesy character have a gimmick that’s traditionally been associated with savage characters is quite funny, but it seems a bit strange that it’s seemingly being played relatively straight.

She’s probably charismatic enough to overcome it, but it again feels like they’ve introduced someone relatively cold when they could have benefited from a bit more build/backstory.

30 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

So she's "hard-headed" both literally and figuratively? That's awesome. 頭が固い (Atama ga katai) literally means 'hard-headed' and has the same figurative meaning (i.e. stubborn) in Japanese as it does in English. 

I think it’s a combo of what I said, and how she got made fun of on a Japanese talk show for having a literal big head.

• Like 2

Yeah her face and head were one of, if not the, reason for her being fired from the pop group she was in. So she's taken both that and the idol representation and twisted them to her own liking and is going to be a huge star as a result of it. It's beautiful. She even took a job, I think being a hostess, to pay for cosmetic surgery when she was in the pop group or just after she was fired but it sucked and nobody could tell. There are youtube vids that do deep dives into her story. It's awesome. 

All this stuff about Itoh’s background is interesting and, if she is gonna have a longer run, it’s exactly the type of stuff they should do video packages on to bring the audience up to speed on.

It links to the discussion about larger-than-life vs. relatability in the main monthly thread. She’s been introduced as this larger-than-life but slightly one dimensional wacky character, if you add that backstory of overcoming past failures and being on this sort of redemption arc then it fleshes out her character and could make her more relatable to a wider audience.

Edited by Kev
Typo

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Oh FFS Ethan's theme is called "Leggo my Ego"?  It's so bad I don't know if I want to laugh or shake my head in dismay at it.

As for the channel I hope it gets added to it but on Apple Music at least they have an 8-bit album that features a lot of the main themes.  Let's just say Starks's theme would fit right in in a Sonic game and the rest of the stuff gives me incredible Sega Genesis vibes.  I'm sure it's on other areas like Spotify as well but it's worth checking out.