DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2021

Casey

Please excuse me for being a body mark for a moment...

I don't know who Chandler Hawkins is, but he has a good look and has some flashy offense. Unfortunately, often that flashy offense looked like it was in slow motion. Still, dude has a good body and could do a lot of movez.

The most puzzling thing about him is that he has a giant tattoo on his side that looks like it says "FATTY." 

Also, I didn't realize how much I needed Angelico looking like he's on Molly, feeling himself and vibing in the background, popping and locking. I laughed pretty hard at that and completely ignored whatever Jack Evans was saying.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2021 at 5:25 PM, The Natural said:

Exnt3ABXAAQqx2r?format=jpg&name=large

Arms and chest are pound for pound similar, abs go to Rude, but by surprisingly little. Legs go to Cage, but that's like the most duuh, no shit , Sherlock comment ever. But as we know, it's an upperbody business, dammit!

...And I'm way late on this one, as I see it's been commented on. The Rock could probably match thighs with Cage (or could have 5-7 years ago, at least) but not many other wrestlers could.

Edited by Shartnado
Curt and SMG beat me to it by a lot

I could never put my finger on what it was about Cage's look that bothered me so much or looked gross until that comparison to Rick Rude. It's Cage's legs. I think if they were a little more normal looking then I probably wouldn't think he looked like such a dude blown up like a balloon.

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I could never put my finger on what it was about Cage's look that bothered me so much or looked gross until that comparison to Rick Rude. It's Cage's legs. I think if they were a little more normal looking then I probably wouldn't think he looked like such a dude blown up like a balloon.

Hey, it's not Cage's fault he's into horse steroids and front squats. It happens. I'm fairly sure it happens.

And I will never fault you for being body mark. I have no room to talk.

Edited by Shartnado
Body talk

6 hours ago, Shartnado said:

The Rock could probably match thighs with Cage (or could have 5-7 years ago, at least) but not many other wrestlers could.

You are forgetting two of the greatest wrestlers of all time:

nintchdbpict000407653406.jpg?w=620

201?cb=20201129160130

Tom Magee and Brakkus!!

Well... Maybe it is an upper body business after all.

Edited by El Gran Gordi

With NXT's move to Tuesday being official, I'm reminded of this post of mine from December '19, in which I predicated that going head-to-head with NXT would end poorly for AEW:

Spoiler

The stuff Meltzer's been saying lately about AEW being WWE-lite, reminding him of late-period WCW, being less of an alternative to WWE than NXT, etc. resonates with me.

I've been pessimistic about AEW since before Dynamite started, despite really wanting them to succeed, because I've been worried that the show would indulge in goofy sports-entertainment stuff to a self-destructive degree. One look at "Being the Elite" tells you that these guys love that kind of thing. Hell, the promotion's existence is an outgrowth of the popularity of the Bullet Club, which was itself based on a bunch of warmed-over stuff from the Attitude Era.

That's why I never bought all the serious sports-based product talk. I don't think that things like the Nightmare Family or Kris Statlander the space alien are growing pains. I think this is the show. This is, at least in part, what they always wanted it to be.

WWE, meanwhile, has been really smart in (a) meeting some of the demand for a main roster WWE alternative with NXT, (b) using it to counterprogram AEW, and (c) hoarding vast amounts of talent. Now AEW has to find its feet on TV against an established, high-quality show, that a big chunk of their own audience knows and respects, and that (despite being a WWE production) doesn't indulge in goofy sports-entertainment stuff nearly as much.

In the long run, I don't think it's going to work out in AEW's favor. But I really hope I'm wrong. I think I want AEW to succeed more than I want to personally enjoy it. The wrestling world is just so much more interesting with it around.

In retrospect, I definitely underestimated (a) how much of an appetite there was for an alternative to WWE, even one that still seems very WWE-ish to me, and (b) how much more NXT would "indulge in goofy sports-entertainment stuff" on USA.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Arms and chest are pound for pound similar, abs go to Rude, but by surprisingly little. Legs go to Cage, but that's like the most duuh, no shit , Sherlock comment ever. But as we know, it's an upperbody business, dammit!

...And I'm way late on this one, as I see it's been commented on. The Rock could probably match thighs with Cage (or could have 5-7 years ago, at least) but not many other wrestlers could.

It's pretty much 'classic bodybuilder' vs 'modern bodybuilder' aka v-taper vs x-taper.

That being said, Cage's lower body strength definitely has sport-specificity. The only dives Rude had to worry about where ladies diving onto him.

Cage is basically a leaner version of the Warlord, which tells you quite a lot really.

The "DAMMIT STEVE IT'S AN UPPER BODY BUSINESS" story is neck and neck with the Steve and Rick post-fishing story.

Steve (cutting and gutting a shit-ton of fish they just caught): Rick, are you gonna help me with these fish?

Rick (takes loooooooong drag off a joint):.............nope

• Haha 2